Skip to main content
Topic: R2 Richmond V Carlton - Prematch (Read 68743 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R2 Richmond V Carlton - Prematch

Reply #225
Lucas was an early draft pick so I can understand that the club wants him to be a success. However, if he doesn't do something this year he'll be gone IMO. I hope he makes it btw.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #226
Clearly the Match Committee has a different view of Lucas than most CSCers.  Hopefully, they're right and we're wrong.

History is not on their side but here's hoping this is an exception.

Reply #227
Lucas is being treated a senior player now and not a newbie kid on the block and he will be for trade/delist at years end if he doesnt fire up and I'm all for playing him now when the heat is on and the seasons alive....I dont want him playing some decent games at the end of the season if we miss finals and  there is nothing to play for and we are playing equally lowly teams and there is no pressure on....and then he gets a new contract based on good form in junktime games.
This is an important game, the Tigers are not a hard unit like the Hawks, Swans, Dockers and there is no excuses for him to go missing...win lose or draw I would play him against the Bombers as well and test him further...
If he doesnt fire up in the 1st half of the season then he is gone and I wouldnt given him any more senior games and would turn to kids like Holman, Cripps, Graham etc...

Reply #228
Lucas is being treated a senior player now and not a newbie kid on the block and he will be for trade/delist at years end if he doesnt fire up and I'm all for playing him now when the heat is on and the seasons alive....I dont want him playing some decent games at the end of the season if we miss finals and  there is nothing to play for and we are playing equally lowly teams and there is no pressure on....and then he gets a new contract based on good form in junktime games.
This is an important game, the Tigers are not a hard unit like the Hawks, Swans, Dockers and there is no excuses for him to go missing...win lose or draw I would play him against the Bombers as well and test him further...
If he doesnt fire up in the 1st half of the season then he is gone and I wouldnt given him any more senior games and would turn to kids like Holman, Cripps, Graham etc...

Elwood that is a pretty good assessment of Lucas and what should happen.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #229
Maybe rather than a game or two, he needs a guaranteed 4 to 6 game trot where he won't be subbed so he's not playing like he's looking over his shoulder but to do that we need to accept we are rebuilding and that isn't happening. It would be nice for Menzel to follow suit.

Reply #230
Maybe rather than a game or two, he needs a guaranteed 4 to 6 game trot where he won't be subbed so he's not playing like he's looking over his shoulder but to do that we need to accept we are rebuilding and that isn't happening. It would be nice for Menzel to follow suit.

I agree he should get those extra games but that would border on trying to develop Lucas which would be a new concept at Carlton.....the one week in /play badly then get dropped for 10 weeks is our usual method of development... ;)

Reply #231

I've seen enough of Lucas, to the point that I would have selected Cripps, Graham or Holman ahead of him. Not writing the kid off but in all fairness he has had his opportunity and it is time for others to receive theirs.  If Lucas goes back to the NB's and burns it up then of course I'll back him to return for another crack. We all know his flaws and It's doubtful that a pre season has addressed them to the extent that he now demands selection in the starting 22.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #232

I agree he should get those extra games but that would border on trying to develop Lucas which would be a new concept at Carlton.....the one week in /play badly then get dropped for 10 weeks is our usual method of development... ;)

So true. How many of our young players look tentative? They're nervous about getting dropped so they play conservative football.

Reply #233

Elwood that is a pretty good assessment of Lucas and what should happen.

x2 spot on elwood.

Reply #234
Happy enough with those changes.

A fit White is good for out team. Reckon he's handy back and forward as is Everitt and Walker when back in. Henderson too so we get some more flexibility here.

If Watson struggles Rowe will be itching for a gig, same for Warnock and MK for Casboult.

Reply #235
Don't agree with White personally but do we have anyone else?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #236
Happy enough with those changes.

A fit White is good for out team. Reckon he's handy back and forward as is Everitt and Walker when back in. Henderson too so we get some more flexibility here.

If Watson struggles Rowe will be itching for a gig, same for Warnock and MK for Casboult.

I agree about White, he is a flexible player and that frees up others like Walker to spend some time up forward.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #237
Yep, happy with those changes, though Graham must have been close along with Scotland.

Agree totally with EB1 that this is Lucas' last roll of the dice.

White will bring some hardness to the backline and probably free up an Everitt to do more damage up forward (I prefer him as a forward to defender).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #238
Selctions reek a little of a coach looking to put results on the board with safe selections rather than blooding the kids.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #239
Selctions reek a little of a coach looking to put results on the board with safe selections rather than blooding the kids.

The club wont rebuild with kids after one game.....Mick wont admit rebuild or failure this early in the season, he will want 4 points vs Richmond and probably settle for a reasonable performance loss vs Essendon who are usually red hot early in the season.
I expect some spin about underdone players/fitness issues/rotations and the AFL being at fault with scheduling etc....