Skip to main content
Topic: Ashes 2019 (Read 57045 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ashes 2019

Reply #105
Hazlewood back....Roy playing one day cricket and he is back too...in the pavilion. No idea why England are playing this bloke as he wouldnt know what a defensive shot looked
like. 1st ball a wild cut shot, then two angled bat no idea defensive shots and knicked the last one,  England please keep playing this test dud.....

Reply #106
Hazlewood back....Roy playing one day cricket and he is back too...in the pavilion. No idea why England are playing this bloke as he wouldnt know what a defensive shot looked
like. 1st ball a wild cut shot, then two angled bat no idea defensive shots and knicked the last one,  England please keep playing this test dud.....
x 2!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #107
Cummins and Siddle spraying it a bit, we could have played Starc!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #108
Hazlewood’s selection is justified  :)

I think that Starc should have been in the 11 for this Test.  The pitch, and slope, would have suited his bowling.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #109
Warner having a bad run

Reply #110
He's getting picked on reputation not runs.   Needs to put some up very soon. Remember Justin,  team comes first.

Siddle got picked off,  might see him replaced next test.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #111
We parody England for Roy, then Warner walks out to bat!  :-[ Both are flat track no swing bullies with techniques suspect at test level, in the meantime we have a future classical batsmen in Carey carting the oranges!

I realise in the right conditions Warner can win you a match, but when those conditions are there England have Roy, Bairstow and Buttler! It's like spin the bottle test cricket!

Khawaja needs runs this test, it's basically an SCG pitch, the type of pitch he grew up on!

The press are bagging England, but it's a 280 run four day result deck and we've still 250 more to get, some random pills are flying through at ear height off a good length, while others break the keepers ankles!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #112
We parody England for Roy, then Warner walks out to bat!  :-[ Both are flat track no swing bullies with techniques suspect at test level,

Yeah, can't agree with you there.. I was at a Test at Bellerive against NZ in 2011....Greentop, overcast conditions, Boult, Southee & Bracewell were swinging it around corners.  Aust lost by 7 runs..Warner scored 123 out of 233......the next highest score in the entire Test was 56.  So don't tell me he can't bat in swinging conditions.    Everyone gets out to good balls occasionally.....maybe he's not quite the player now that he was then though.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #113
Yeah, can't agree with you there.. I was at a Test at Bellerive against NZ in 2011....Greentop, overcast conditions, Boult, Southee & Bracewell were swinging it around corners.  Aust lost by 7 runs..Warner scored 123 out of 233......the next highest score in the entire Test was 56.  So don't tell me he can't bat in swinging conditions.    Everyone gets out to good balls occasionally.....maybe he's not quite the player now that he was then though.

Smith hardly has a technique one would think would work against a seaming ball. And yet.....

Another fail in the second innings questions will be asked.

That said, all batters were crap last Test bar Smith, Wade and Siddle (Head had a 50 i recall too)?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #114

Agree, I no Warner fan but Jason Roy is a spud.
Warner averages 47 in test cricket

Reply #116
I'm not going to dispute Warner's averages, but there is a bit of a key difference given Roy has only four innings;

David Warner
http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerBatGraph.asp?PlayerID=3637

Jason Roy
http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerBatGraph.asp?PlayerID=4325

He is 29 years old.
There is a good reason he only has 4 innings.
He's a spud

Reply #117
He is 29 years old.
He's a spud

Fair enough.

I can't see much difference in technique other than one being left and the other right, I think on a flat track they'd be equally damaging.

But that is the problem I have, you have to select or manufacture conditions that suit them, as test batsmen they aren't like Smith, Punter, Tubby or Border!

I feel the public has become obsessed with fast scoring, as a result of the flood of ODI and T20 cricket, blokes get criticized for going at 3 runs an over! Players like Roy and Warner often go faster, but only every 3rd or 4th innings!

I don't feel the commentary is consistent. For example many bag a player like Maxwell for only doing great every 3rd or 4th ODI innings, then give another player a pass for much the same success rate in Test cricket!

Well if a player like a Maxwell played that much Test cricket, and scored every 3rd or 4th innings at the rate he can score with players hanging around him for long enough, what would his average be? But we do not know because the opportunity never arises, because when he comes in early enough the pitch is usually crap, or if the pitch is good he comes in at a time that it's hammer time, even if he comes in early enough he is surrounded by blokes who won't be there for long!

If you don't like Maxwell, make it a name like Finch, Maddinson or Lynn.

Ironically, the T20s are a pretty good "tell" because they deliver close to parity of opportunity for players like that.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #118
He is 29 years old.
He's a spud

To be a fair he is a spud at test cricket but in the shorter formats he is a gun, shows how the county system has fallen away in the long game and
how its all about short format cricket now..

re: Warner...ball came back but he was beaten for pace, Broad seems to have an extra spring in his step bowling to Warner.
Think the sandpaper gate stuff has lingered with Warner too and the continual booing etc has got to him even though he is all smiles.

Reply #119
Aus 4-80 at lunch, English quicks all over us....we cant get the ball off the square and they are seaming it around everywhere.
Smith in with Wade and need them to stay there...Bancroft hasnt improved his technique and got pinned on the stumps by one that
gave his Archer his first test wicket. Langar tried talking Archer down in the pre pressers but the kid is real quick and accurate and I see
him being able to bowl long spells given he doesnt run in very far.
Khawaja played a few good shots but played a poor limp drive at Woakes and Head like Bancroft got pinned on the stumps by Broad.
Going to be tough work from here but with Smith still in anything can happen.