Skip to main content
Topic: Ashes 2019 (Read 57049 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ashes 2019

Reply #180
To be fair, pretty tough conditions to bat under.  The ball was bobbling all over the place, and at speed.  In fact, early on it was almost moving too much - the ball missed the outside edge of Warner's bat by big margins (and not because he didn't offer a shot).  Once the movement was not so pronounced, it was more dangerous.

If we can get the same sort of conditions on Day 2, Cummins, Pattinson and Hazlewood will be a real handful - 179 might look like a good score, because their batting is hardly top-shelf either.

And yet a relative newcomer scored 71.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #181
The ball was swinging and seaming around corners. Warner and Labuschagne did a great job under the circumstances. Hopefully with similar conditions our bowlers use them well. You never know until the other side bats.

Reply #182
And yet a relative newcomer scored 71.....

Their opener Burns got a ton in the first test with one of the worst techniques ever.  Sometimes it's just about luck.

Having said that, I think Labuschagne is a talent.  About time we found some middle order batters.....
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #183
Their opener Burns got a ton in the first test with one of the worst techniques ever.  Sometimes it's just about luck.

Having said that, I think Labuschagne is a talent.  About time we found some middle order batters.....

Sometimes it is....but our blokes look remarkably out of form, pretty much all of them.

Warner was lucky to reach double figures.

Khawaja must go. Ditto Paine (Carey is a much, much, much better bat).....but being Captain helps!

Cummins played a terrible shot - he's a better bat than that.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #184
Sometimes it is....but our blokes look remarkably out of form, pretty much all of them.

Warner was lucky to reach double figures.

Khawaja must go. Ditto Paine (Carey is a much, much, much better bat).....but being Captain helps!

Cummins played a terrible shot - he's a better bat than that.

I actually think Carey is better with the gloves as well - Paine has grassed a few
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #185
Can't drop the skipper. Don't be surprised though if Paine gets a "finger injury" that means he has to miss a couple of tests

Reply #186
I actually think Carey is better with the gloves as well - Paine has grassed a few

Paine's been a great keeper but now he is about to touch 35yo as well so time may be up soon.

Reply #187
Making a mess of the Poms .... LOVELY

4 down and no-one in double figures

Reply #188
6/54 at lunch.  Relentless bowlung. Warner with 4 catches.  Psyne the other two

Reply #189
The fourth innings is going to be played on a day 3 pitch !!!!  Another 60 odd to us will probably rule out an England victory. 

Reply #190

If we can get the same sort of conditions on Day 2, Cummins, Pattinson and Hazlewood will be a real handful - 179 might look like a good score, because their batting is hardly top-shelf either.

Little did we know that our first dig of 179 would be almost 3 times greater than the Poms could muster....

Reply #191
I thought a lot of it was downright deplorable batting against good, accurate bowling backed up by excellent catching.  Didnt see too many jaffa's,  although I did like the one from Patto that tailed away late.   Real swing, haven't seen that from an Australian right arm bowler for a while. I'd want at least another 50 to feel confident - can't see the poms playing the same get out shots in the second dig.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #192
England is rattled by consistent fast bowling, never knowing what's coming next.  Our batting is nothing to write home about, but theirs is vulnerable in the extreme.

Reply #193
Ben Stokes.  A blistering 2 off 50 balls ..

But we needed those additional runs to our overnight score.  

Reply #194
Ben Stokes.  A blistering 2 off 50 balls ..

But we needed those additional runs to our overnight score.
Prefer the reckless Stokes to the concentrating one, if he gets a ton they will win imo, need to get him and Root out pronto.
We should win easily but the Poms have dug in and we miss that 5th bowler...