Skip to main content
Topic: Ashes 2019 (Read 57053 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ashes 2019

Reply #300
X2

I thought that Paine captained with more confidence than he showed on the last day of the last Test. Perhaps he has learnt from the experience.

It's called experience  ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #301
X2

I thought that Paine captained with more confidence than he showed on the last day of the last Test. Perhaps he has learnt from the experience.
x3....look like he learned a bit from the Stokes massacre and didnt let the game drift.
Liked his quick bowling changes and how he was happy to bowl a few part timers to change things up.
Mind you with only 81 balls left he was cutting it a bit fine,  we have the better attack with more contributors and I think that was the difference.

England probably got unlucky losing Wood and Anderson who paired with Broad and Archer would have been a handful on these seaming tracks
but thats how the luck goes sometimes.
Root also didnt help his bowlers by being negative too often, fortune favours the brave and Paine for most of the time kept attacking fields and
reaped the rewards.

Reply #302
It's called experience  ;)
Might also be called having the previous captain standing in slips beside him..... can't help thinking the last day at Leeds would have been different if Smith had been in a position to offer his opinion.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #303
Might also be called having the previous captain standing in slips beside him..... can't help thinking the last day at Leeds would have been different if Smith had been in a position to offer his opinion.

Agreed ... Smith may as well have been captain last night. 

Reply #304
So,  did Starc do enough to stay in the side for the next test?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #305

When the game was there to be won, I thought he was pathetic.
He just doesn’t bend his back anywhere near enough.

Cummins comes on and makes things happen, Starc floats the ball down the track hoping they happen.

Reply #306
If they are over there I'd be running at least one of the back up bowlers now, Neser, Richardson or Behrendorff.

Maybe even give Lloyd Pope a run as the leg spinner.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #307
If they are over there I'd be running at least one of the back up bowlers now, Neser, Richardson or Behrendorff.

Maybe even give Lloyd Pope a run as the leg spinner.

Lyon isn't the same bowler after that horror ending in the third test.

Reply #308

Absolutely!

His batting in the first innings was crucial.  His bowling in the Pom's first innings removed three of the most troublesome batsmen cheaply and was a critical factor in setting up our victory. 

Starc provides a point of difference in our attack and he creates the rough for Lyon.  He has to stay in the side!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #310
Absolutely!

His batting in the first innings was crucial.  His bowling in the Pom's first innings removed three of the most troublesome batsmen cheaply and was a critical factor in setting up our victory. 

Starc provides a point of difference in our attack and he creates the rough for Lyon.  He has to stay in the side!

x100.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #312
50/50. Was ok, not great with the ball. Terrific with the bat last Test but we pick him to bowl.

Yet the batting probably saves him, if he could reliably knock out 30 - 50 runs each innings you'd pick him as a change bowler 100% of the time!

We can't judge him relative to a batting all-rounder like Mitch Marsh, or some other batting all-rounder, that would be unfair. Despite my reservations about his bowling if he's picked as a bowling all-rounder he probably makes the cut.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #313
Cricket is a team sport, and relies on all players contributing to the result, so even if Starc just creates rough patches and offers a different angle that's something.  But I would like more wickets. 

At the moment he's the quintessential one trick pony.  It's a good trick but he needs to develop other wicket taking strategies.  That means playing a lot more four day cricket , in different places.  He also needs to work on his short stuff and get the ball at troubling heights more often as high bumpers are nothing more than a waste of energy and low bumpers are fruit for the scoreboard.

I don't think its a coincidence that his best days occurred when a certain left handed opener spent a lot of time on "ball management".  All players must evolve to improve and he has work to do.  Even just better control would make him more effective.

I also note that I was very critical of our bowling crew against India and the lack of ball movement.  The refusal to employ the off cutter against India, a much easier delivery to bowl than swing or leg cutters, was frustrating.  The off cutter was used with tremendous skill and effect by Cummins et al. and the amount they got the ball to jag was alarming - just as difficult to play as late swing I reckon.  Hazelwood also got a few to tail both ways but I didn't see a lot of true swing, though I didn't expect it.  I wonder if the Duke's ball, with the very hard and proud seam promotes seams as well as swing?

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #314
Cricket is a team sport, and relies on all players contributing to the result, so even if Starc just creates rough patches and offers a different angle that's something.  But I would like more wickets. 

I suppose that's also an argument for Behrendorff getting a run!
The Force Awakens!