Skip to main content
Topic: Ashes 2019 (Read 57052 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ashes 2019

Reply #315
Smith let himself down with the Jack Leach/Rogers? impersonation...the first impression would be he his mocking Leach so why do it, the Rogers excuse doesnt make sense.
Unless Leach had unkind words for Smith then I dont get it. Celebrate for sure but respect the opposition and even if you meant it some another way just have more awareness.

Reply #316
It's a form of suggestive pareidolia, the UK media know that suggesting Smith was impersonating Leach will result in most people thinking Smith was impersonating Leach. It's a technique used frequently by media organisations.

It didn't matter what Smith did, the minute the media suggested it looked like a parody of Leach it was set in stone in everybody's consciousness, and nobody who read or saw those reports can undo the effect even if after you are aware of it.

We are all slaves to our own consciousness, internet memes rely on this effect!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #317
Smith let himself down with the Jack Leach/Rogers? impersonation...the first impression would be he his mocking Leach so why do it, the Rogers excuse doesnt make sense.
Unless Leach had unkind words for Smith then I dont get it. Celebrate for sure but respect the opposition and even if you meant it some another way just have more awareness.

Poms have been mocking him, like Archer did, he's putting up with the crowd booing him, mocking him crying with face masks so screw the Poms, they are good at dishing it but can't take it.

Reply #318
Poms have been mocking him, like Archer did, he's putting up with the crowd booing him, mocking him crying with face masks so screw the Poms, they are good at dishing it but can't take it.

Jim, Dont mind him donning the corn rows and the Mr T chains for some well deserved Archer retribution  but I think the vision impaired and very demure Jack Leach was a fairly soft target if that was the plan.
I would have given it to Root who did a bit of cheating of his own and refuses to acknowledge we are the better team....

Reply #319
Jim, Dont mind him donning the corn rows and the Mr T chains for some well deserved Archer retribution  but I think the vision impaired and very demure Jack Leach was a fairly soft target if that was the plan.
I would have given it to Root who did a bit of cheating of his own and refuses to acknowledge we are the better team....

talk about a beat up....less than a storm in a tea cup!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #320
Makes me laugh when the Poms call us cheats....there's a roll call of less than salubrious incidents the Poms have been in.  Plus Root can't seem to figure out that a grassed ball isn't a catch.  Never has been, never will be.

I agree with the glasses thing not being a good look but screw the poms, maybe they should as Agent Starling retorted "turn that incisive intellect on themselves".

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #321
Makes me laugh when the Poms call us cheats....there's a roll call of less than salubrious incidents the Poms have been in.  Plus Root can't seem to figure out that a grassed ball isn't a catch.  Never has been, never will be.

I agree with the glasses thing not being a good look but screw the poms, maybe they should as Agent Starling retorted "turn that incisive intellect on themselves".

Darn I forgot about that grassed catch when arguing with a Pommie mate the other day!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #322
I'm not much of a batsman or bowler,  can I be recalled to the test side too?

Reply #323

A mate summed up the Test team selection quite well: “Two things will survive a nuclear war; cockroaches and Mitch Marsh!”
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #324

yep, I'm with you there.....& Travis Head sacrificial lamb!

....good grief.  Warner & Harris will possibly go down in history as statistically worst opening combination we have ever had in a Test Series..and they both still get a gong.

And.....perfect opportunity to give Pucovski a go with little pressure on......but no....no imagination shown at all.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #325
yep, I'm with you there.....& Travis Head sacrificial lamb!

....good grief.  Warner & Harris will possibly go down in history as statistically worst opening combination we have ever had in a Test Series..and they both still get a gong.

And.....perfect opportunity to give Pucovski a go with little pressure on......but no....no imagination shown at all.

They are clearly worried about workload for the bowlers, since the Oval is generally the flattest track in the UK.  With this Ashes series finishing so close to the Aussie summer, the last thing they need to do is grind Cummins, Hazlewood et al into the dust.

Clearly playing for a draw here.....
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #326

I’m fascinated at how quickly the Poms are engaging in revisionist history.

It might be churlish (and maybe, just maybe) sour grapes, but to me the 3rd test will hereafter be known as ‘The Joel Wilson Test’.

While reading up on the Ashes via google my eye was caught by a link - clearly clickbait, but what the hell - promising to rank Wilson’s howlers.

Lo and behold, they were all to the detriment of English batsman. Stokes’ plumb LBW not even listed!  :o

Kids - don’t believe everything you read on the internet.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #327
I’m fascinated at how quickly the Poms are engaging in revisionist history.

It might be churlish (and maybe, just maybe) sour grapes, but to me the 3rd test will hereafter be known as ‘The Joel Wilson Test’.

While reading up on the Ashes via google my eye was caught by a link - clearly clickbait, but what the hell - promising to rank Wilson’s howlers.

Lo and behold, they were all to the detriment of English batsman. Stokes’ plumb LBW not even listed!  :o

Kids - don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

I don;t have a problem with umpire making mistakes in any sport, it's the Full HD Slow Motion replay and disgruntled punters that cause all the problems.

Get on with the game and stuff the replays, perhaps even ban the broadcasters from using slow motion replays. It's making recruitment of umpires and officials almost impossible!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #328
I would have rested Cummins and played Pattinson, Langar just can let a series go by without playing a Marsh......
Shame Roy has been dropped, only bugs bunny was a bigger batting bunny than Roy, England have probably done
what they should have done earlier and played Sam Curran, handy with the willow and swings the ball a long way
and would have given them something different to bowl at Smith.
Thought they might have picked county wonder kid Ollie Pope but have resisted the temptation, Poms have some good kids in Crawley and Sibley who are both openers and I cant believe they didnt get games into them given their batting is so horrendous...

Reply #329
Bowling crap and dropping catches....we're not up for this game.