Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn (Read 47120 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs. Hawthorn

Reply #75
Part of this feels like a copy and paste from one of your other posts. Your bias is obvious. Even when we win, it's because the other coach stuffed it. Our list is good on paper and still developing, not experienced enough or match hardened.

There are plenty of teams that have come back from the dead after half time.

I wouldn't be telling someone else their bias is obviously. They have results they can point to, you just have hope and spin. 4 from 38!

Reply #76
Rubbish. Don't hand over 4-5 goals inside 25m from mistakes and they dont win, simple. In the first half, he had 25 I think and we were still 5 goals up. He is not the reason they won, we handed the ball to them (virtually) in front of their goal. Unforgivable.

No GTC - sacking the coach will save us, just like it has in the past. Clearly it's Bolton's game plan that instructs players to turn it over right in front of goal.

Reply #77
No GTC - sacking the coach will save us, just like it has in the past. Clearly it's Bolton's game plan that instructs players to turn it over right in front of goal.

It does when you pick the right one, like when we sacked Pagan for Ratten. All the other times we just select the wrong coach. Like who couldn't get something out of the current side.

Reply #78
Rubbish. Don't hand over 4-5 goals inside 25m from mistakes and they dont win, simple. In the first half, he had 25 I think and we were still 5 goals up. He is not the reason they won, we handed the ball to them (virtually) in front of their goal. Unforgivable.

Paul, you have to be fair on Omeara, he was the only class mid they had and we did the same with Mitchell last season who got the three brownlow votes.
He should have been manned up probably by Ed Curnow who wasnt really influencing the game in any way, I think it was 26 possies to half time and he had a 3rd of their clearances.

Clarkson deemed it important to tag Cripps with Howe and also rotated Worpel on him.....Adam Simpson tagged Sidebottom with Hutchings to help win a Grand Final.
Are we going to let Cunnington and Higgins run around on their own next game?

Sure we made those easy mistakes but letting the Hawks best player get free ball all day defies logic...

Reply #79
Completely outcoached. We had far more talent out there.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #80
I believe the process should be allowed to play out, which IMO means no decision on the coach until the end of the 2020 season.

Every flag coach since 2000, except Matthews and Malthouse, have been home grown, and have been allowed the time and resources to develop. We need to grow our own, not look for the next messiah. If the board sack Bolton before the end of 2020, then they've learned nothing.

So we win 4 games this year and you automatically re-appoint for 2020?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #81
Sick to death of people knocking the coach without coming up with an alternative. I've just been through this whole thread and I didn't see one suggestion of who could do better.

Tried and tested coaches?

Clarkson - Ian Aitken incident, 'unsociable-football' (sniping) etc
Longmire - unwatchable possession football where the whistle goes off every 10 seconds does my head in
Ross Lyon - bridesmaid. Negative football.
Worsfold - needs success at a second club to prove himself in my mind, because he had an awesome side in the west.
Scott brothers - No.

No going to bother going through them all.

You will think I need my head read but I would take Buckley, but we would never get him.

Maybe we need a someone who has been through a good system has seen what is required for success and is ready to take the next step. Thats what we have now.

Someone please name me another to roll the dice on (SO WE CAN START AGAIN !!!!!!!!) or put up and shut up.

Brett Ratten couldn't defend against a rampaging Suns because he had no plan B back then. That was is his coach killer game. He is about the only other  I could accept as a replacement.

Reply #82
We are not far from being a good side that can beat most of the other AFL sides. We fail to play to our strengths long enough. Hence an issue that falls in the lap of the head coach. Once we address this, we will win more often, and gun players from other clubs will want to play for our club in the future. BB needs to make clever game day adjustments early. Play our squad to our strengths.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #83
So we win 4 games this year and you automatically re-appoint for 2020?

Baggers, Dont think we need to change the coach as he is doing a lot right and has the players on his side but he needs help on tactics and match day coaching,
you have to ask what Walls role is ?
There are no standout alternative coaches either and I think the club have to go with Bolton in 2020 but put someone else in the box to help him with tactics.

Reply #84
Agree Pauly, its not coaching, its decision making and execution on field. Forget the first half, we could no wrong. But you can pick every moment in the second half which gifted them easy goals. Structurally, it was difficult to cover Simmo, Newmy and Tractor (especially) but the mistakes were critical. Breust, The Chad, Poppy and Gunston were unsighted in the first half, I think they said they had one behind between them. We let them all off the leash through undisciplined acts by players, they all had an impact. Breust and Chad finished with 5, Shiels had 2 of his 3 in the second half if Im not mistaken (he was on the end of some gifts also).
Its obvious we aren't quite there yet. We get 5 goals up and I am still nervous that we will lose. We get 5 goals down and I know we have no hope in hell of chasing it down. As I said in the in game thread, if LOB took more time with that snap late in the 2nd and we go 6 goals up, I reckon it would have been a different story.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #86
My frustration is how we managed the game play in the first half and made Hawthorn look very ordinary but we served up that rubbish in last 2 quarters, played wide, strangled our own freedoms and paid the price.

Injuries and fitness played their part and some atrocious mistakes hardly helped.  We failed to act and that is down to the team just as much as it is the coach.  If time wasn't up for a veteran or two late last year, then it surely is now.

You simply can't let games like that slide .. EVER

Reply #87
Completely outcoached. We had far more talent out there.

We have more, young developing talent who pooped their pants (understandably) when the Hawks battle hardened, more experienced talent turned up the heat. Also, look at the Hawks elder statesmen and compare them to ours. But by all means, sack Bolton.

Reply #88
Agree Pauly, its not coaching, its decision making and execution on field. Forget the first half, we could no wrong. But you can pick every moment in the second half which gifted them easy goals. Structurally, it was difficult to cover Simmo, Newmy and Tractor (especially) but the mistakes were critical. Breust, The Chad, Poppy and Gunston were unsighted in the first half, I think they said they had one behind between them. We let them all off the leash through undisciplined acts by players, they all had an impact. Breust and Chad finished with 5, Shiels had 2 of his 3 in the second half if Im not mistaken (he was on the end of some gifts also).
Its obvious we aren't quite there yet. We get 5 goals up and I am still nervous that we will lose. We get 5 goals down and I know we have no hope in hell of chasing it down. As I said in the in game thread, if LOB took more time with that snap late in the 2nd and we go 6 goals up, I reckon it would have been a different story.

Yes agree, and if Murph didn't miss that soda etc.

Reply #89
Paul, you have to be fair on Omeara, he was the only class mid they had and we did the same with Mitchell last season who got the three brownlow votes.
He should have been manned up probably by Ed Curnow who wasnt really influencing the game in any way, I think it was 26 possies to half time and he had a 3rd of their clearances.

Clarkson deemed it important to tag Cripps with Howe and also rotated Worpel on him.....Adam Simpson tagged Sidebottom with Hutchings to help win a Grand Final.
Are we going to let Cunnington and Higgins run around on their own next game?

Sure we made those easy mistakes but letting the Hawks best player get free ball all day defies logic...

Omeara had a ton of the ball but imo was not that damaging and not the reason the game changed.

I hate him but Clarkson is a master coach and still has enough top end talent to move the chess pieces and change the style when it’s not working to get things to change. He showed his expertise today in the coach box and our blokes as we have done so many times in the past in these sorts of situations.... we hand our opposition  easy soft goals when panic sets in. Seen it countless countlesss times over the last decade and it happened again today.

Our midfield are not that used to leading a match and when they rarely do they hate becoming the hunted - we go into our shells, start to carrel the opposition instead of throwing our bodies in, tackles when they are attempted are weak and soft and rarely stick and the team coming is given every opportunity to mount a comeback.  We become totally reactive and then as the pressure is so high in trying to stop the bleeding the usual suspects makes stupid decisions and we cough up countless goals which is the part I am so so sick of.

As soon as I see us coughing up soft goals regardless what the scoreboard is,  I know it’s game over. 

We handed that game to them like we have done way too many times and I’m tired of looking at the positives.

And anyone that thinks next week will be easier is kidding themselves.  Yep we are a building team but wins like today are vital for belief and worth much more then the 4 points.

Gutted and tired of losing the same way.