Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game Discussion Round 15 Carlton vs GWS at Metricon. (Read 9727 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game Discussion Round 15 Carlton vs GWS at Metricon.

Reply #105
@WASurfer

I agree, but I can see Charlie, De Koning, McGovern and even SoJ rotating through the midfield and resting forward besides McKay who stays as the permanent KPF. Casboult is closer to the end than the beginning, so we do soon need to look forward.

What happens with Kemp will be very interesting, at junior level this guy had the size, F50 smarts and is a serious midfield option and ball user.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #106
Agree... I think TDK can consider himself unlucky and Brackets can consider himself lucky that he comes straight in to replace a kid with promise - you'd better deliver McGovern.

It was either TDK or Cas out.  Pitto to be number one ruck, and one of the other to be backup ruck and fwd.  Cas doesn't do much as pure fwd, and TDK not yet better than Cas.  TDK is almost there - almost taking important marks, almost getting free's for arm chops (that was a disgraceful miss by the umps at the end of Q1 or 2 v pies).  As a pure forward I have Gov ahead of TDK & Cas.

Reply #107
Like I said, crazy long arms and plays taller than he is credited for, too many write him off as being undersized for a KPP because he is only about 192cm.

Josh Kennedy is only 194cm, Jack Darling 191cm and McGovern's stats are virtually equal to Darling for this season, yet Darling gets pumped up and McGovern gets slighted.

FMD, if we put McGovern up for trade Wet Toast will be wetting themselves to get hold of him as a replacement for Kennedy who is now going on 34!

I feel there is a lot of unjustified anti-McGovern sentiment that is more resentment about his money deal, but that is caused by our club not McGovern's fault. Have a look at Martin by comparison, on as much if not more, and has been average now for quite a few games, but has escaped scrutiny because of a reasonable run of startup games. McGovern hasn't played consistently, which has made him a target, but he has probably had as many good minutes as Martin.
LP...lets get real McGovern isnt in the same parish as Darling as a footballer IMHO who has been AA, leading goalkicker for WC x3 and averages 2 goals a game.....he wouldnt be any better than lesser lights like Membrey or Mihocek, and has given us doughnuts for two years now. The same player has averaged just under 14 games for the last three seasons...JD has played over 20 games in his last three seasons...so McGovern essentially misses a 3rd of the season unlike the more robust Darling who can stay on the park. Darling also plays the No2 KP forward behind Kennedy unlike McGovern who has always played the No 3  spot behind Walker, Jenkins,  or Curnow/Casboult, Harry.....so our man gets the weaker opponent more often than Darling who cops a genuine KP Defender each week.
I'd happily hand McGovern back to the Crows,get my draft picks back plus Shane McAdam, moneyball Jake Riccardi from last years draft and spend McGoverns money on one of Williams, Papley, Saad.
IMO Martin has showed a lot more than McGovern and is capable of being A grade, dont deny he has been poor of late but so has Cripps, Eddie and a few others and I'm prepared to give Martin another 12 months to sort out his consistency issues before I get on his case which I will if he doesnt deliver given he is a on good money too..

Reply #108
stop whitfield /williams run from our fwd line is a priority

Reply #109
stop whitfield /williams run from our fwd line is a priority
Yep Whitfield played off half back last week and started many attacks with his run and carry and needs a minder.
I would have played Cuningham on him if he played half back and Cottrell if he played wing and was a bit surprised the former was left out of the lineup given Collingwood showed us up for pace.
Could be a long night of chasing  with Whitfield and Williams carrying the ball through the middle of the ground...

Reply #110
LP...lets get real McGovern isnt in the same parish as Darling as a footballer IMHO who has been AA, leading goalkicker for WC x3 and averages 2 goals a game.....
I was referring to the beat up that is 2020 so far, and the 2020 numbers do not back the recently published opinions up!
Jack Darling 2020 - https://www.finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=2078&SeasonID=2020#ind

So I don't really know for sure but it seems like it's more than enough justification for me to question why the hate.

I think some of the creeps in the social and media pages have got onto McGovern as a whipping boy with Carlton fans because many just didn't want him in the first place, and so the creeps are feeding the ongoing rage! If our club follows the fan rage the same creeps will all line up to sign McGovern up for their own club, with Carlton paying a portion of the wage for their generous offer to offload the spud of course! ;)

2020 per game McGovern averages more goals a game than Martin, and a large chunk of Martin's came in Rnd 1!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #111
It was either TDK or Cas out.  Pitto to be number one ruck, and one of the other to be backup ruck and fwd.  Cas doesn't do much as pure fwd, and TDK not yet better than Cas.  TDK is almost there - almost taking important marks, almost getting free's for arm chops (that was a disgraceful miss by the umps at the end of Q1 or 2 v pies).  As a pure forward I have Gov ahead of TDK & Cas.

I still reckon the Guv will come good for us. But admit what he's given thus far leaves a lot to be desired taking into account time in the fat farm.

50 goal a year forward if he can stay on the park.

Go Blues.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #112
Sydney currently leading Melbourne.....if Swans get up, then it makes the GWS game another very important one. We could join Melbourne on 28 points, and leapfrog GWS, Essendon and the Bulldogs and be out of the 8 on %.....nothing like a bit of pressure.

Reply #113
Sydney currently leading Melbourne.....if Swans get up, then it makes the GWS game another very important one. We could join Melbourne on 28 points, and leapfrog GWS, Essendon and the Bulldogs and be out of the 8 on %.....nothing like a bit of pressure.

I think we'll win because no one expects us to.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #114
I was referring to the beat up that is 2020 so far, and the 2020 numbers do not back the recently published opinions up!
Jack Darling 2020 - https://www.finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=2078&SeasonID=2020#ind

So I don't really know for sure but it seems like it's more than enough justification for me to question why the hate.

I think some of the creeps in the social and media pages have got onto McGovern as a whipping boy with Carlton fans because many just didn't want him in the first place, and so the creeps are feeding the ongoing rage! If our club follows the fan rage the same creeps will all line up to sign McGovern up for their own club, with Carlton paying a portion of the wage for their generous offer to offload the spud of course! ;)

2020 per game McGovern averages more goals a game than Martin, and a large chunk of Martin's came in Rnd 1!
Martin plays midfield too so he isnt permanently stationed down forward so I would expect McGovern to kick more goals...the latter has a problem with our delivery which probably doesnt suit his style. We tend to bomb the ball long to a pack which suits Casboult and Harry but McGovern prefers the ball on the lead or a one on one where he has the sit type arrangement.
He played at the Crows when they were very much a factory up forward with Walker, Jenkins, Eddie and Lynch all kicking bags and helping each other out and with us there is less cohesion and you are on your own a bit more trying to get a kick.
Our midfield doesnt have the Pendlebury, Whitfield, Shuey, Kelly, Martin etc Rolls Royce delivery service and McGovern will need to be Fev like and exert himself a bit more to get a kick....his one plus is being a good kick/converter.

Reply #115
I think we'll win because no one expects us to.....

Like the easy 40 plus point win you predicated against the pies. Love your positively but sometimes you need to take the blue glasses off mate.

Polson, Cottrell and Dow will be lucky to get 20 touches between them.  No confidence when we select these sorts of players who have nil impact.

Hard enough to win against the better teams when we have our best players on the park let alone with the squad we have this week.

Reply #116
Shawny....reckon this'll be one of THOSE games where 5-10 minutes into the first quarter you just know which of our teams has shown up. If it's terrible disposal skills, turnovers and the opposition just waltzing up the middle then it's over to the News!

Reply #117
Shawny....reckon this'll be one of THOSE games where 5-10 minutes into the first quarter you just know which of our teams has shown up. If it's terrible disposal skills, turnovers and the opposition just waltzing up the middle then it's over to the News!
Yep, I reckon you'll see in 5-10 min if it good or bad Carlton. Having said that, we looked alright for the first half last week only to go back to the hotel for the second half.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #118
Not gonna predict it, but it'll be a slog

Reply #119
Imagine if we could harness that first 15 or so minutes from that game against the Hawks over here in the hub....not sure I've seen us play like that in a few years. But same thing, put the cue in the rack after that burst and were steamrolled.