Skip to main content
Topic: 2024 Practice Match Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 3323 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2024 Practice Match Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #120
Do we resist, to some extent, what comes after and push back against the positives as the player develops and gets confidence at a senior level

Given its all subjective and given the relative nature of that.

The answer will be different depending on it comes from and who is looking at it.
I'd like to think 'no'.

Re: 2024 Practice Match Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #121
Given its all subjective and given the relative nature of that.

The answer will be different depending on it comes from and who is looking at it.
I'd like to think 'no'.

I think that highlights an issue we sometimes have.
And it's not necesarily a totally negative issue.
We all admire different aspects of a team.
We admire different aspects of a player.
We have our favourites...we tend to minimise their faults because we see an overall postive.
We have players we're not sure are going to make it....we see their deficiencies and don't give as much weight to their positives.
Two posters can look at the same player through completely different eyes.

So what will often happen is that a poster will criticise a player, basically write him off...but someone else who appreciates what that player brings will jump to the defence.

It's not percieved as a bias by the original poster, but it certainly is received by the reader as such.
And in fact it often 'is'.
It's a criticism that isn't entirely fair because it's not balanced by praise when the player performs well.
That's reinforced when every time the player is mentioned you get the critic making a post, but rarely mentioning him when he does well.
(The bias can also be a positive bias.)

But that's the way these places work.
How they will always work
And actually that debate is part of a forum's life force.
It keeps the place humming.

We're all biased.
The first step to a cure is recognising you have a problem  and not living in denial. :D  :D