Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 15: Pre Game Pressure: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 11146 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 15: Pre Game Pressure: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #15
Murphy in, Polson out.

One obvious change for the better.

Pointless dropping Poulson after a game, O'Brien is the one who needs a rest, he's been ordinary 3 of the last 4 games.

I wonder if Poulson got a game due to last weeks training emphasis, that could explain things? Poulson had more tackles in one game than O'Brien has had in three weeks!

Garlett is a big worry, pre-season he looked like a tackling machine, since the shoulder problem he's tapered off, yesterday exactly zero, zilch, nada! But then again, even SPS only had 2 and he normally has many more!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
Pointless dropping Poulson after a game, O'Brien is the one who needs a rest, he's been ordinary 3 of the last 4 games.

I wonder if Poulson got a game due to last weeks training emphasis, that could explain things?

x2...Polson and OBrien would make a good footballer if you could morph them together.....
I think Polson deserves a few games and told he is the team and maybe just needs that breakout game of 20 plus possies to kick start him..
Tough ask vs Port though given their onball riches but vs Brisbane and the like he might have learned something by then and deliver for us..
Obrien needs to toughen up and attack the ball better, nice left footer but more grunt required....

Reply #17
Watts normally plays his best football against us, I wouldn't be surprised to find him getting a run!

If he does it tells you that Port think we are a soft target!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
x2...Polson and OBrien would make a good footballer if you could morph them together.....
I think Polson deserves a few games and told he is the team and maybe just needs that breakout game of 20 plus possies to kick start him..
Tough ask vs Port though given their onball riches but vs Brisbane and the like he might have learned something by then and deliver for us..
Obrien needs to toughen up and attack the ball better, nice left footer but more grunt required....

EB, you've been banging on about O'Brien and how he needs to toughen up, the kid has a boys body and obviously is aware of that, but there are different classes of toughness. I think it was Grundy who took a screamer on O'Brien knocking him flat, O'Brien got up off the ground straight away and started to chase, that's a tough mind, he just doesn't have the physical size to plow into packs, it will come in time.

If we were a better team he would be still playing 2's, learning how to play against me, but we're not and Lachie is getting a game and doing ok. At least he runs hard both ways.

Also Poulson looked to be knocked out early in the first, he dragged himself off the ground, waived the trainers away and chased, well done young man.

Reply #19
It's funny - when we have so many contributing so little - how can we expect to win games?

Polson, Lamb, O'Brien, O'Shea, Mullet, Garlett....and arguably SOJ too.

Given the two injuries, there half the team not chipping in!!

A bloke like Garlett - for example - has to nail those two goals - otherwise a waste of space....

Yep cant argue with any of that!

Garlett is the sort of player that is only ever going to get it 10-12 times so has to make those touches count.

Did like him crashing the pack against 2 which spilled the ball for us to goal. Thats what we need as a min if he is to hold his place in the coming years as 'hopefully' positions get harder to break into.

Reply #20
EB, you've been banging on about O'Brien and how he needs to toughen up, the kid has a boys body and obviously is aware of that, but there are different classes of toughness. I think it was Grundy who took a screamer on O'Brien knocking him flat, O'Brien got up off the ground straight away and started to chase, that's a tough mind, he just doesn't have the physical size to plow into packs, it will come in time.

If we were a better team he would be still playing 2's, learning how to play against me, but we're not and Lachie is getting a game and doing ok. At least he runs hard both ways.

Also Poulson looked to be knocked out early in the first, he dragged himself off the ground, waived the trainers away and chased, well done young man.

Obrien for a first year player has some sort of a tank. Might not be ready in other areas but fitness wise he was one of a few only that was able to ran the game out.

Dow was gone come 3/4 time. He couldn't even jog in the last - understandably i know considering the injuries, hence why obrien surprised me so much. Big upside in both these kids IMO    

Reply #21
Disagree about Dow, 9 poss and 2 bloody great tackles in the last quarter. He may have slowed down but he kept going.

Again both these guys are 18 and will have a full seasons experience come round 23, they are still years away from hitting their best.

I do look forward to a starting square of Cripps, Kennedy and Dow, with O'Brien on one wing, SPS on the other, kicking it down the necks of Charlie, Lokosuis and Harry with Fisher and Pickett yapping away at heir feet.

Reply #22

Ray..Got nothing to do with a boys body, he shy's away from contests and doesnt have the mindset of a physcially committed player.....you either have it or you dont.
Boekhorst didnt have it and its stood out like dogs knackers, Mullet doesnt have it either...
I'm not sold on Obrien at all unlike Dow who attacks the ball well....Obrien will get some slack cut his way due to being a pick 10 and the notion he is an outside player who isnt expected to
contest as much but the spotlight will get around to him, think it was Cameron Ling in a earlier game who suggested he froze and pulled up short.
Polson attacks the ball and man well, tackles hard but needs game time to improve his skills and awareness.
Fisher has a small body but he commits to the ball, I just want to see Obrien do the same every game....

Reply #23
Ray..Got nothing to do with a boys body, he shy's away from contests and doesnt have the mindset of a physcially committed player.....you either have it or you dont.

The problem I have EB1 is that AFL opposition will pick up on this and construct scenarios that cause him to behave that way. O'Brien, boy or man, has to be aware he is under 24x7 opposition scrutiny and must put his hand up sometimes to be unpredictable to the opponents or end up road kill.

It's no different from Levi failing to compete whenever he cops a little body on body contact in the run up to a pack mark, the better teams make sure it happens to him all the time every time!

In crunch time, if you have a predictable flaw in your game, the opposition will take full advantage of it.

On the flip-side, he only has to fly the flag once or twice a game and a hurt opponent will grow doubts!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24
Will we bring in Phillips or Lobbe, and let Rowe go forward again this week, should we?

For me it's;

Out - Casboult, Kreuzer, Plowman and O'Shea out

In - Phillips, Shaw, Pickett and Lang.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
The problem I have EB1 is that AFL opposition will pick up on this and construct scenarios that cause him to behave that way. O'Brien, boy or man, has to be aware he is under 24x7 opposition scrutiny and must put his hand up sometimes to be unpredictable to the opponents or end up road kill.

It's no different from Levi failing to compete whenever he cops a little body on body contact in the run up to a pack mark, the better teams make sure it happens to him all the time every time!

In crunch time, if you have a predictable flaw in your game, the opposition will take full advantage of it.

On the flip-side, he only has to fly the flag once or twice a game and a hurt opponent will grow doubts!

LP..Kade Simpson isnt going to hurt anyone by bumping, tackling or the like but we all know he will go down swinging 99.9% when it comes to making a contest of the footy when it comes his way..thats all I ask of any player. SPS picks and chooses, Mullet chooses not to most of the time and I dont want Obrien going down the same path....doesnt have to anything Byron Pickett like,  just when the ball comes his way try and get it the best you can and attack the ball with some gusto like his mate Dow does.
He has time on his side to chancge his approach but as you say teams work you out and then start working you over....Mullet got the label from Brad Scott and has done nothing to change that perception, we dont want Obrien getting the same label...

Reply #26
LP..Kade Simpson isnt going to hurt anyone by bumping, tackling or the like but we all know he will go down swinging 99.9% when it comes to making a contest of the footy when it comes his way..thats all I ask of any player. SPS picks and chooses, Mullet chooses not to most of the time and I dont want Obrien going down the same path....doesnt have to anything Byron Pickett like,  just when the ball comes his way try and get it the best you can and attack the ball with some gusto like his mate Dow does.
He has time on his side to chancge his approach but as you say teams work you out and then start working you over....Mullet got the label from Brad Scott and has done nothing to change that perception, we dont want Obrien getting the same label...

In fairness to O'Brien Simmo is exceptional, I think O'Brien only needs to be a bit more Lamb / Kerridge like and he'll have then both covered.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27

I wonder if Poulson got a game due to last weeks training emphasis, that could explain things? Poulson had more tackles in one game than O'Brien has had in three weeks!

Garlett is a big worry, pre-season he looked like a tackling machine, since the shoulder problem he's tapered off, yesterday exactly zero, zilch, nada! But then again, even SPS only had 2 and he normally has many more!
Polson didn't have a great game, but he did put his body on the line. He needs to get a few possessions and get some confidence in himself. I wouldn't drop him after one game.

I would think of 'resting' O'Brien. he does have a nice tank, but he hasn't been great lately. The question is, unfortunately, who do we bring in for him?

SPS had a good first half with clearances and run. After half time he was barely sighted. That was disappointing.

Garlett is lucky to be there at the moment. He is not showing the intensity that he showed earlier. And it is clear from his numbers, which are ordinary at best. Also earlier in the season his snaps were going through. Now they are not getting close.

In fact, our small forwards are not doing a lot at the moment. Wright's form has been poor and, while he tries to put pressure on, he is often too slow to succeed. Mick Malthouse brought him up especially after yesterday's game. Garlett hasn't been with it at all. Jack is too slow to run guys down from behind and still shows more in the midfield rather than as a forward.
Yesterday we had nobody at Curnow's feet: he either got it or it passed from defence easily. Our small forwards really need to up their work rate.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #28
Boekhorst didnt have it and its stood out like dogs knackers, Mullet doesnt have it either...
I'm not sold on Obrien at all unlike Dow who attacks the ball well....Obrien will get some slack cut his way due to being a pick 10 and the notion he is an outside player who isnt expected to
contest as much but the spotlight will get around to him, think it was Cameron Ling in a earlier game who suggested he froze and pulled up short.
Polson attacks the ball and man well, tackles hard but needs game time to improve his skills and awareness.
Fisher has a small body but he commits to the ball, I just want to see Obrien do the same every game....

I don’t see that at all with O’Brien EB.

O’Brien generally sizes up the situation quickly and goes for the option that is likely to keep him on his feet and in the contest.  I’d much rather see him do that than end up on his butt and with his opponent streaming towards goal.

O’Brien didn’t get a lot of the ball on Sunday but he laid tackles and shepherded, usually against much bigger opponents.  That’s physical commitment in my book.

As for Cameron Ling’s opinion ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #29
Polson didn't have a great game, but he did put his body on the line. He needs to get a few possessions and get some confidence in himself. I wouldn't drop him after one game.

Someone said both Poulson and SPS got dropped early in the game, I didn't see Poulson but I saw SPS get whacked.

I should cut them both a little slack if that is true, they are still beginners and that sort of tactic is a bit old school!
The Force Awakens!