Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2021 Rd 15: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 7869 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2021 Rd 15: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #45
Apparently Jack complained to Teague that he was only credited with one hitout when he actually got two.  He was going to confront Champion Data and demand that his second hitout be added   :D
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #46
I noticed when they were singing the song after the  game that Eddie didn't link arms with the players either side of  him. Plowman on one side made a couple of attempts to engage him but Eddie just gave him a tap and a nod.

Maybe he's protective of his personal space ;D ...or did he hurt himself (shoulder perhaps) in one of the contests (maybe the high flying landing). He was a bit sore after taking a mark at one stage and came off for a while but that looked more a hip or groin.

Just on Eddie
We're all expecting him to finish up at the end of the year.
Maybe he's not influential in every game.
But it looks like he still has a good spring, and his pace hasn't dropped off a great deal.
And you could probably argue that without Eddie, yesterday's second quarter burst doesn't happen.

Reply #47
Just on Dow, Kennedy etc.. Crows have a thin midfield with just Sloane, Laird, Keays and some kids.. It was encouraging but there were not the opposition big bodies or depth you find in other teams so we need to be careful before thinking everything is looking fixed.

Reply #48
Apparently Jack complained to Teague that he was only credited with one hitout when he actually got two.  He was going to confront Champion Data and demand that his second hitout be added   :D

I don't think we should take Jack's word for that second hit-out.
I suggest we all re-watch the game. ;D  ;D

Reply #49
Just on Dow, Kennedy etc.. Crows have a thin midfield with just Sloane, Laird, Keays and some kids.. It was encouraging but there were not the opposition big bodies or depth you find in other teams so we need to be careful before thinking everything is looking fixed.

Yep
We played some of our best football for a long time in that second quarter and that tends to cloud things a bit
...but it was 2-7 to 5-7 after half time.

Reply #50

Seedsman and Sholl aren't exactly kids and the Adelaide midfield did OK when they beat St Kilda in their last game.

But, you're right, it was a gutsy win against another struggling, inconsistent team and we're a long way from having everything fixed.  I'll be a lot happier if we can get a win over the Dockers next week ... COVID permitting.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #51
Just on Eddie
We're all expecting him to finish up at the end of the year.

I never have ... don't want him to either.

That injury he suffered was (looking at the immediate aftermath) definitely his lower back as he clutched it.

Reply #52
I like the bit where we won it with 10 min of football rather than lose it in that time. Roles were reversed, Adelaide played ok for alot of it, come back, and lost like we usually do. Crows haven't been too bad as they have beaten Geelong and Melbourne, only side that's done that.

That late 2nd qtr burst, haven't seen any side play like that this year. Our best is really good. We just don't see anywhere near enough of it.

Reply #53
I never have ... don't want him to either.

That injury he suffered was (looking at the immediate aftermath) definitely his lower back as he clutched it.
He dropped the car with that attempt. It was huge.

Reply #54
I like the bit where we won it with 10 min of football rather than lose it in that time. Roles were reversed, Adelaide played ok for alot of it, come back, and lost like we usually do. Crows haven't been too bad as they have beaten Geelong and Melbourne, only side that's done that.

That late 2nd qtr burst, haven't seen any side play like that this year. Our best is really good. We just don't see anywhere near enough of it.

Exactly!

If we could maintain that intensity and effort for four quarters, we would beat every team.  The precise and creative ball use and forward line efficiency that we saw in the second quarter papered over the cracks in our defensive structures and positioning.  The foundations are there, most of the building blocks are in the right place now, but there's still a lot of work to do.

Reply #55
If we could maintain that intensity and effort for four quarters, we would beat every team.
I don't think any team can play that high intensity game style for four quarters, it is too taxing, which is why the better teams do it in bursts. 

We need to be more aggressive when we have the momentum so we get maximum benefit, I think in the past we have been too conservative, probably due to our turnovers we've lacked the confidence to commit.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #56
That 2nd quarter...  :))

Crippa during and the stance after that goal too. woop woop!!!!

First whole game I've seen in a while. Nice to be in the office with a few walks to the kitchen with my blues coffee mug. In an Adelaide based office that is...  >:D

Reply #57
The second quarter's now the premiership quarter ;)  :D

Reply #58
One of those games where we got the 4 points but still felt a bit flat at the end? 8 goals in one quarter of footy but 4 total in the other 3 quarters. Those slow starts are a killer and if Adelaide had kicked straight early we were nearly out of it....thankfully they didn't.

The second quarter is as good a quarter of footy that we've played in recent times? Everyone seemed to switch on...the errors disappeared, the ball movement was slick and the finishing in front of goal was brilliant.

But plenty of positive signs:

1. Dow looked a lot more confident once he got into the game and backed himself in a few times to breakaway with it. On that game I think he's left in the team for the remainder of the season to see what he can back it up with.
2. SPS faded after half time but was really good early and his disposal was spot on. Like Dow, should be left in the team and played in the middle from here on in.
3. As good as TDK was, I think we missed Pittonet a bit with his crash and bash style....Levi probably comes in against Freo to help out as Darcy and Lobb will try and work TDK over.
4. If Harry could kick a bloody drop punt from straight in front he'd be 20 goals clear in the Coleman this year.
5. Stocker gets better every week and his kicking has improved out of sight.
6. Good to see some passion from the players, especially when Weitering was cannoned into. Surely these days that's a reportable offence for rough conduct? Might not be the head but certainly the potential to cause some injury when the player has got no protection.
7. Umpires must really hate us? Some of the calls were astounding. We just can't seem to get a free kick for laying a decent tackle. That said, the non-call on Cripps for running too far was handy.

Probably minimal changes for the Freo game? But I'd be leaving Newman in the starting 22.....Freo have some dangerous small forwards in Henry, Switkowski and Schultz.

Reply #59
Just finished watching the replay. My thoughts;
Although our goal conversion after half time was amazingly bad, we played 4 consistent quarters of football and were clearly the better team.
Everyone seemed to do their bit at times and it was in stark contrast to the previous weeks where we played with a fair bit of intensity.
Backline was much better. Good return game from Plowman. Newman was probably the best medical sub we've had all year and based on that effort should get a full game next week. Jones and Weitering were the standouts however with Jones being 2nd BOG for mine. Saad continues to impress and Williams responded well to this weeks criticism.
Midfield looked sharper with Dow and SPS getting a fair run on the ball. Kennedy was busy and gives a contest and Ed jst never stops. Walsh outstanding, again.
Forwards were OK, with the main issue being the shots on goal. However, we seemed to be pressing a hell of a lot more on opposition kick outs. Probably not hard to improve on that effort over recent times.
Overall we had a crack and got the result. Never confident we would but there you have it. Maybe that will release the pressure for this weeks game and we can see more of the same.