Skip to main content
Topic: RIP Queen Elizabeth II (Read 5531 times) previous topic - next topic

RIP Queen Elizabeth II

Although not a Monarchist in any way shape or form, Lizzie was all class.

RIP Queen Elizabeth II.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Re: RIP Queen Elizabeth II

Reply #1
Not a fan of the Royal family or the idea that royal blood makes you superior than the next man or woman but the Queen had a difficult job managing that family of hers, covering their feck ups and making it work and for that she deserves some kudos.

Reply #2
Loved the Queen, class and dignity personified. RIP Liz.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
A long and full life well lived.
Sometimes privilege isn't all it's cut up to be
There are the onerous, and often boring affairs of state, and the troubles that plague all families are always played out in a very public fashion.
She had more than her share.
RIP.

(Thanks Betty, Good Luck Chuck....you'll need it ;) )

Reply #4
Not a fan of the Royal family or the idea that royal blood makes you superior than the next man or woman but the Queen had a difficult job managing that family of hers, covering their feck ups and making it work and for that she deserves some kudos.

The monarchy is an anachronism and I suspect that Charles may well be the last of the line ... certainly for Commonwealth countries that haven't already become republics.

However, from her role as an ATS driver during WW2 through to her patience and forebearance in dealing with a whole gamut of prime ministers, good, bad and indifferent, during her reign, you can't deny the class, determination and devotion of Elizabeth II.

RIP
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
I think Charles will be under some pressure to modernise and scale back the monarchy going forward.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #6
I think Charles will be under some pressure to modernise and scale back the monarchy going forward.
I reckon after a year or two of unpopularity, Charles and his old squeeze Camilla will be retired and the more youthful and popular William and Kate will take over and try and start a fresh chapter of the Royal Dynasty including returning the fallen Prince Harry and his evil Mrs to the fold. 

Reply #7
If there was ever a time to cut ties with the monarchy, now is it.

Reply #8
If there was ever a time to cut ties with the monarchy, now is it.

Not for the next couple of months. ;)
I doubt you'll hear the politicians even mention it much this side of Christmas.
(Except perhaps Adam Bandt and co.)

It'll become  a subject of discussion in the New Year though.

Reply #9
The body is still warm and the "cancel culturalists" are out in full force. I find it staggering how quick some are to delete part of our history. I find it embarassing.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #10
Not for the next couple of months. ;)
I doubt you'll hear the politicians even mention it much this side of Christmas.
(Except perhaps Adam Brandt and co.)

It'll become  a subject of discussion in the New Year though.
I'm not suggesting literally right now, but during the transition phase that is going to have to occur.

How long before all our currency has to get changed over etc etc.

I don't think Australia really need to be 'ruled' anymore and i think the republic push of the late 90's was half-ar$ed and tokenism, everyone has been quiet since then because everyone loves Lizzy. But from here on out things will be different.
We will be 'ruled' by 'Mr Tampon'....and it only gets worse from him.

Reply #11
I'm not suggesting literally right now, but during the transition phase that is going to have to occur.

How long before all our currency has to get changed over etc etc.

I don't think Australia really need to be 'ruled' anymore and i think the republic push of the late 90's was half-ar$ed and tokenism, everyone has been quiet since then because everyone loves Lizzy. But from here on out things will be different.
We will be 'ruled' by 'Mr Tampon'....and it only gets worse from him.

Maybe so but I'm saying you probably won't get a receptive audience just at the moment amongst the uncommitted.

Strangely Charles is probably in tune with a lot of views expressed on here with regard to a range of things like climate change.

Reply #12
The body is still warm and the "cancel culturalists" are out in full force. I find it staggering how quick some are to delete part of our history. I find it embarassing.

Too polite GTC Old Son... absolutely abhorrent and petty. They could take a leaf out of Lizzie's book and show a little class.

Reply #13
Maybe so but I'm saying you probably won't get a receptive audience just at the moment amongst the uncommitted.

Strangely Charles is probably in tune with a lot of views expressed on here with regard to a range of things like climate change.

Yes, I think that's true. He is a fan of "New Urbanism", a movement started in the 1980's. Among its leading lights are two architect / urban planner brothers, Rob and Leon Krier. The basic idea is simple enough - small neighborhoods of genuine mixed use, where pretty much everything the average person needs is within walking distance - minimizing car use, improving the environment, minimizing energy consumption, creating better health outcomes for the residents. Poundbury near Dorchester is the first community designed on their principles. Construction is well advanced and planned for completion by 2025.

Reply #14
Yes, I think that's true. He is a fan of "New Urbanism", a movement started in the 1980's. Among its leading lights are two architect / urban planner brothers, Rob and Leon Krier. The basic idea is simple enough - small neighborhoods of genuine mixed use, where pretty much everything the average person needs is within walking distance - minimizing car use, improving the environment, minimizing energy consumption, creating better health outcomes for the residents. Poundbury near Dorchester is the first community designed on their principles. Construction is well advanced and planned for completion by 2025.

I find myself in two minds re Charles. I've watched docos that feature his very real commitment to progressive environmental change, as you sight here. Then I hear interviews with Diana's former 'man servant' or whatever the heck he is called, sighting the abysmal treatment of Diana, in effect just a vehicle for some heirs to the throne. Time will tell re Charles, meanwhile I'll go off and argue with myself about him as King.