Skip to main content
Topic: RD 4: Carlton VS Melbourne (Read 111815 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 4: Carlton VS Melbourne

Reply #240
Waite got the forward job because he could do it better than anyone else we had when Fev left us. He was the logical choice, considering how he played there when he had the chance.
However, like b4l, I agree that it is not his best position. His time at CHB was the most consistent football of his career, with the fewest brain fades. I'd like to see more of that, especially with him on, say, the 3rd tall forward of the opposition.
Unfortunately, it is not likely with our present list.

As for the Prince, maybe he did need a wakeup call.
Yes, being a small forward means that he will be up and down as a player. Yes, fair enough. However, his game has appeared to have lost some of the things that made him so dangerous earlier.
[1] Confidence in his left foot.
Garlett used to use his left foot almost as often as his right. It wasn't as good as his right, but it wasn't bad. After one ordinary afternoon when it failed him a couple of times, he put his left foot away. He has barely kicked left foot since, preferring to boomerang his right foot in its place.
I think that was an error, as it makes him more predictable. The desired result would be to improve his left foot kicking. It is not impossible.

[2] Marking
In his early days he was expected to be an ordinary mark because he was so small and slight. However, he marked the ball pretty well, outmarking a number of larger, stronger defenders. He hasn't quite put his marking away, but he has less confidence in it and he doesn't try as much with it. He is more willing to concede that the punch will come and get the crumb.
This is also a serious error. he doesn't have to take the speckies that Eddie Betts sometime did, although doing it really adds a dimension to his game that would him harder to match up. One or 2 really strong marks and he makes opposing coaches start eliminating their hair follicles.
At present his form in the air makes him more predictable and not as dangerous.

[3] Work Rate:
The Prince's  ability to run guys down because he worked so hard has not been apparent this year and has been on the decline for a while. One of his most dangerous characteristics was his ability to surprise a defender and take him down, creating a goal out of nothing. But he just hasn't managed it this year, and it is affecting his game.
Fitness? When he started he found it difficult to run out games. He seems to heading back in that direction after a period when his running was on the improve.
One of the problems he has is that he often has to run around against extra men, because someone else hasn't picked up their man. He is the one who does the running, and by the time he is just about to get to one guy, the guy has seen him and dished it off to another, who Jeff then has to run down. If more of our forwards put on some more pressure, the prince would become more effective, as he wouldn't be the only guy to watch our for.

[4] Kicking Yips:
Garlett has always been a little unreliable with his kicking, but lately he has really had the yips. His set shot kicking has gone backwards, while his difficult snaps have remained pretty good. However, the less difficult kicks, especially when he reads the pack and is running into goal, have really gone off. He is dribbling the ball too much.
I think this is a confidence thing: we get him to kick a few bags and his confidence in his kicking will go up. He also needs work on his set shots (as do almost all of our forwards, but that is another matter).

I am quite happy to see him get some time with the Baby Blues. Now to get him playing with confidence.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #241
Waite got the forward job because he could do it better than anyone else we had when Fev left us. He was the logical choice, considering how he played there when he had the chance.
However, like b4l, I agree that it is not his best position. His time at CHB was the most consistent football of his career, with the fewest brain fades. I'd like to see more of that, especially with him on, say, the 3rd tall forward of the opposition.
Unfortunately, it is not likely with our present list.

I think Waite is one player who is better at cutting lines than running straight, Fevola was the opposite, so I've never thought he was suited playing deep forward and leading.
He's sort of multi dimensional with great anticipation, good hands and great defensive skills, a natural CHB in my opinion.
When he had that top season down back we still had Lance and Fev, it's sad that we simply no longer have that option.
Realistically it's lucky we're playing Melbourne, because if you glance at our best 22 and ask yourself which players can kick 4 goals plus it comes down to Waite and Jeffy with Walks playing down back.
Tomorrow could well be a nil all draw.  ;)
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #242
I think Waite is one player who is better at cutting lines than running straight, Fevola was the opposite, so I've never thought he was suited playing deep forward and leading.
He's sort of multi dimensional with great anticipation, good hands and great defensive skills, a natural CHB in my opinion.
When he had that top season down back we still had Lance and Fev, it's sad that we simply no longer have that option.
Realistically it's lucky we're playing Melbourne, because if you glance at our best 22 and ask yourself which players can kick 4 goals plus it comes down to Waite and Jeffy with Walks playing down back.
Tomorrow could well be a nil all draw.  ;)

I think Waite's best games have been as a HHF or Wingman, he runs opponents into the ground not unlike Riewoldt with continuous direction changes, short and long leads. But I am not sure Waite can keep doing that at his age though!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #243
It's very quiet here for a Friday before a Saturday afternoon game, very little enthusiasm or interest.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #244
It's very quiet here for a Friday before a Saturday afternoon game, very little enthusiasm or interest.

I think we're exhausted ;) ;D

There's a bit of a pause because tomorrow will be quite telling in how we respond.
Win well and there is some hope that things are not as bad as they seem.
If we struggle or lose this will not be a pleasant place.

Reply #245
The pre Eseesdon game managed 16 pages this one's at 17.

I just can't get excited. If we win it's expected if we lose it's part of a bigger plan ::)
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #246

I think we're exhausted ;) ;D

There's a bit of a pause because tomorrow will be quite telling in how we respond.
Win well and there is some hope that things are not as bad as they seem.
If we struggle or lose this will not be a pleasant place.

I'm expecting a win but only because the opposition is so weak, tomorrow's is not a strong team.
I'm hoping for a solid team performance and good showings from Menzel, Buckley and Cripps, I desperately need to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Reply #247
If we win its because we believe we can win.

Just like we used to believe we could account for the Tigers and the Bombers.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #248
Dont like the Waite dropping, I know he hasn't been good but he is still the best option forward. Rowe is a spud and shouldn't be pick before Waite.
Jeffy needed a spell, and Im having doubts about whether he is good enough anyway.
Lucas is a ball magnet, but I don't care. He is soft and couldnt hit a target to save his life, we have way too many ordinary kicks in the side as it is. In this dream team obsessed footy today, we are far to concerned with stats. The same with hit outs, if they don't go to advantage its like a turnover.
Scotland has been a great servant but he should have retired last year. For those watching closely last year he made way too many mistakes. I would rather have kept Laidler, but the great MM didn't think he was good enough. He walked into the powerful Sydney side but couldn't get a game with us. You stubborn old fool MM.
Still don't know why they havnt fixed Casbolts kicking style, he drops the ball from too high, why cant the skills coaches see that. He is an outstanding contested mark but wastes it with poor kicking.
Just for a change I would like to see us put pressure on the opposition. I hate giving up these little 15 metre passes. Put pressure on the guy with the ball and force him to kick to a contest, stop giving up the little pressure relieving passes. find your man and stand next to him.
I would expect to have an easy win this week, Melbourne coudnt have come at a better time. Please don't make Menzel the sub.

Reply #250
If we win its because we believe we can win.

Just like we used to believe we could account for the Tigers and the Bombers.

Amazing we used to own the Tigers under Ratts, now with pretty much the same two teams they get a 6 goal break on us every time.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #251
Waite and Garlett have combined for a whopping 6 goals 10 behinds this year, i suspect if they had of kicked straight they might not have been dropped?

Just amusing myself here, but this is how i'd like to see us line up next week, and for the next 5 straight weeks without a change, barring injuries, and including the emergencies

Ins

Waite, Judd, Armfield, Wood,

Outs

Rowe, Warnock, Tuohy, Ellard

FB Everitt   Jamison   Buckley

HB Lucas   Waite   Robinson

C Simpson  Judd    Thomas

HF Gibbs  Henderson  Walker 

FF  Yarran  Casboult   Menzel

FOLL Wood  Murphy  Cripps

I/C Carrazzo Scotland Armfield  Curnow

EMG  Garlett  Graham  Giles  Docherty  Cachia Warnock

I would love to see this team and structure persisted with, without all the bulltish chopping and changing that MM loves to do. Let them settle FFS.

We used to chastise Ratts for doing too little during the game, and having no plan b, but FMD MM chops and changes way too much for my liking.

I would insist that we run and gun a little more, always play a loose man in defense to set up our forward thrusts, and use the quickest avenue to goal, the guts, whenever possible. Be aggresive without being stupid, tackle with intent and make sure that when the games done and dusted, they've just played a tough game against the famous old dark blues!

Thomas dropping back off the wing and playing the 7th defender, setting up play, Simmo pushing forward and becoming and extra mid/HHF

Gibbs, Hendo and Tex give us some serious marking and goalkicking power across the HF line, because lets face it, if we cant kick 90+ points every week, we are going to lose more than we win.

Yarran and Menzel give us great X-Factor around goals and The Bolt to bring it to ground for them or hell, maybe he could mark it himself and kick a goal, now theres a thought. Back-up ruck as well for Bolt. Wood can rest forward and is probably a more versatile option than Knockers.

The HB line is the most controversial, and rightly so, but i believe we will be a better team with Waite back and Walker and Gibbs forward. Lucas loves a run, why not give him a crack off HB, and Robinson well, i just thought it would be good to have someone flying back into packs with courage and giving him something different to do. He played the defensive forard role well on Feltcher a couple of times, why not turn him into a hard-nosed, tagger/defender.

Buckley to be persisted with i reckon, there is something about him that is special.

Cripps gives us size around the stoppage plus footy smarts and we have desperately been craving both, hopefully he can allow Judd and Murph to spend a little more time just outside the contest.

What are everyone's thoughts about my thoughts, I've thought a lot about all of this and am really interested in hearing everybody's opinions.

Be gentle  :)

Reply #252
Good post BA, I have thought a bit about what you have thought about and there is one chink in the armour of your thoughts. MM changing his coaching ideals! ::)
Your ideas have merits, like playing the juniors and leaving the team settled for a period of time.
But while we have this horses for courses mentality it won't happen. Although I do believe you do need to inject new players to keep the regulars honest with their performance.
I do like the idea of Meat at FF and Hendo at CHF...and stay there. >:(
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #253
I have a good feeling about this game and I'm never wrong.... just mistaking regularly :-\
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #254
Blue skies, no rain on the radar, Big Levi to kick 5, The Extractor to be our second rising star in 3 weeks, Touy will line up anyone that goes within 50 m of Buckley.........Mick to smile at his post match press conference.

Have a good day folks!!