Skip to main content
Topic: Round 14 - Blues v Western Bulldogs (Aftermatch Aftermath) (Read 41062 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 14 - Blues v Western Bulldogs (Aftermatch Aftermath)

Reply #75
Bit confused with the criticisms of Graham and Holman. The difference between how Graham is playing now and the bloke who was taking the field for the NBs last year is quite significant. Remember he's only played about 16 senior games and keeps getting better, and it was Holman's first proper hit out...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #76
I think many of us thought that NB.  Isn't there a thread about what spuds our assistants are?

My point was about the fact that assistant coaches are closer to the players than the senior coach and that may have enabled Barker to see something in Graham that Malthouse missed.

I wasn't having a crack at you DJC, rather at the group think that inhabits this place at times.
We all have opinions, some have several, but we actually know 1/5 of diddly squat, the rest is just chest thumping.

I think there must be a couple of dozen threads bagging our assistants ;)
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #77
I wasn't having a crack at you DJC, rather at the group think that inhabits this place at times.
We all have opinions, some have several, but we actually know 1/5 of diddly squat, the rest is just chest thumping.

I think there must be a couple of dozen threads bagging our assistants
;)

Totally agree. I'm as guilty as others on this point. I'm sure I've had a go at Barks somewhere along the line.

Reply #78
My biggest concern with Kreuzer is that he isn't getting to marking contests, I don't know whether it's fitness, confidence or just a lack of football but it has always been one of his strengths.
I'm thinking all of the above. Hit the spot on that one.

Reply #79

I didn't think you were NB  :)

I must admit that I was surprised to see how well Barker has fitted in to the senior coach role.  I probably shouldn't have been so surprised as the players talked him up for his defensive line coaching and he has had assistant coaching experience with a couple of the AFL's leading lights.

As to your comment about us all having opinions, I'm reminded of PI2C's signature line and how it could easily be used by most of us  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #80
We need to find another couple of Patrick Cripps from somewhere. I don't know where but we have to find them.

Reply #81

That's an interesting interpretation of what is happening. Here's another: all we know is just how poorly Malthouse was travelling and not much about Barker's ability to coach.

Reply #82
Bit confused with the criticisms of Graham and Holman. The difference between how Graham is playing now and the bloke who was taking the field for the NBs last year is quite significant. Remember he's only played about 16 senior games and keeps getting better, and it was Holman's first proper hit out...

x 2..I was happy with both players...Graham can hit a target by foot unlike a few of his teammates and Holman is a disciplined kid who is a decent size for a mid and just needs more games.

Reply #84
x 2..I was happy with both players...Graham can hit a target by foot unlike a few of his teammates and Holman is a disciplined kid who is a decent size for a mid and just needs more games.
Agree totally. Must get more games into both these guys. Graham has been one of our better players over the past 3 weeks. Holman showing good signs, just needs an opportunity to get a feel for the game at this level. From what I've seen so far he has a chance to make it

Reply #85
Quote from: bignic on Today at 12:43:26 AM

If Henderson wants to go, there would be little opposition, but he'll probably stay because he can't pack mark to save his life and he plays one reasonable game, and goes missing in the rest And the other clubs know it!!!

Spot on. Waaaaaaayyyyy overrated.

I thought you were agreeing to a comment about Watto but then I read the bit about playing "one reasonable game" and re-read the previous comment.

BTW - I agree about Hendo - he is not much of a contested mark when opponents are trying to spoil him but he can take some contested marks.

Reply #86

I like both of them. Holman reminds me of Jared Polec. He's got a spearing left foot kick and he's actually a bit quicker than I thought he was. He attacks the ball harder than Polec too. Graham is just a solid footballer. He may not be explosive enough or big enough to play as a permanent clearance player but he'll be great as a rotating mid that covers a lot of ground. Could be a lot like Steele Sidebottom IMO.

Reply #87
Quote from: bignic on Today at 12:43:26 AM

If Henderson wants to go, there would be little opposition, but he'll probably stay because he can't pack mark to save his life and he plays one reasonable game, and goes missing in the rest And the other clubs know it!!!

I thought you were agreeing to a comment about Watto but then I read the bit about playing "one reasonable game" and re-read the previous comment.

BTW - I agree about Hendo - he is not much of a contested mark when opponents are trying to spoil him but he can take some contested marks.
Hendo took more contested marks at CHB. He usually had the composure to punch in situation here he wasn't sure of the result. Up forward he is the one who has to take the grabs and that doesn't happen as much as he would want. That is why we have Levi, but he doesn't have the body work or the ability to read the play like Hendo does.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #88
Totally agree. I'm as guilty as others on this point. I'm sure I've had a go at Barks somewhere along the line.

I was probably 1 of Barkers loudest critics. Then I read an article about him going for his level 4 coaching cert or whatever it is and acknowledged that he must have something to give.

But he hasn't put a foot wrong since taking over the senior gig, I've been very impressed.

I'm not calling for him to be our next senior coach because we haven't interviewed anyone else yet. There may be an even more impressive candidate out there, that's what the club needs to find out. 
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #89
Hendo took more contested marks at CHB. He usually had the composure to punch in situation here he wasn't sure of the result. Up forward he is the one who has to take the grabs and that doesn't happen as much as he would want. That is why we have Levi, but he doesn't have the body work or the ability to read the play like Hendo does.

Henderson is also the only forward we have with a football IQ greater than a G grade amateur player.

Seriously, I like Cas, but he has to be lead by the nose.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................