Skip to main content
Topic: Power forward? (Read 40054 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Power forward?

Reply #90
Temptation is to play Harry McKay in the next NAB game with the view of playing him Rnd 1......thats probably on the basis that Jones, Gorringe or any other fill ins have shown nothing.....

Do we want to give Harry plenty of early experience or will it just knock him about.?...I reckon BB wont want to play him and will go one of his ruckman at CHF with Casboult at FF.....Gorringe is probably the player we would play at CHF IMO and wil also have a run on the ball with Casboult doing less ruckwork and staying at FF.

Dont see who ever we play at CHF expected to kick many goals but whose job will more to provide a marking contest and get the ball down to the smaller/mid sized players...

Agree. I think, Krooz, Gorringe and Casboult will be the three. Leave Casboult and home and rotate the others. However Mckay already looks to be ahead of Gorringe and will no doubt play this year. Jones is finished, just cannnot find a way to get involved in the game.
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #91
Jones is finished, just cannnot find a way to get involved in the game.

I watched Jones pretty closely in the first quarter. I'm pretty sure he thinks he's playing a game of cricket, fielding at long on.

Reply #92
I watched Jones pretty closely in the first quarter. I'm pretty sure he thinks he's playing a game of cricket, fielding at long on.

It must be the sunny days that has him confused? ;)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #93
Jones' work ethic & attack on the footy/player with the footy is actually pretty good and reminded me of how Aaron Hamill used to play.....only problem is he simply cannot get his hands on the footy for the life of him and that's the killer......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #94
Jones' work ethic & attack on the footy/player with the footy is actually pretty good and reminded me of how Aaron Hamill used to play.....only problem is he simply cannot get his hands on the footy for the life of him and that's the killer......

Exactly!

He reminded me of a human pinball the way he was crashing into opponents but he seems to have no idea about getting to where the ball is heading.  If he does get to a marking contest, hard hands means that he's most likely to spill it.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #95
Exactly!

He reminded me of a human pinball the way he was crashing into opponents but he seems to have no idea about getting to where the ball is heading.  If he does get to a marking contest, hard hands means that he's most likely so spill it.

We all agree, simply a pity the intent leads to nothing. 
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #96
Jaksch must be played up forward, he looked ok in the NBs last year when tried there, albeit for limited periods.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #97
McKay will be in the F50 for the next decade if we can keep hold of him. He showed more in a few chaotic minutes than most of our forwards have shown since Fev left!

Not sure SOSOS will make it unless they can work on his pace, and Cripps has proven that can be changed. SOSOS looked slowish, but I concede that can also be a result of slow decision making. Point of contrast, Weitering is not super fast but never looked slow and he already has an AFL body. But skinny kids who look slow are really starting behind the eight ball, because they need bulk which is almost anathema to adding pace.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #98
The most encouraging thing about Weitering for me on Sun is that he looked like he had always got time and he always looked composed. He'll be very important to us not only as a player but as a leader and role model in future years.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #99

poor bloke. maybe something will just click one day and he'll become useful?

You never know.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #100
Could not possibly summarise that any better Phantom coloured Blue......our forward line is an unmitigated mess, non-existent & there's not another team in the AFL who can even come close to 'boasting' the forward structure we've got.

Casboult ran himself into the ground in the first 10 mins of the game yesterday & I said to my mate "That'll be it for today, he'll be too buggered for the rest of it".......and that's exactly what eventuated for the half he played.

*sigh*.......

Casboult did have a late start to the pre-season and they are managing his workload.

Reply #101
Temptation is to play Harry McKay in the next NAB game with the view of playing him Rnd 1......thats probably on the basis that Jones, Gorringe or any other fill ins have shown nothing.....

Do we want to give Harry plenty of early experience or will it just knock him about.?...I reckon BB wont want to play him and will go one of his ruckman at CHF with Casboult at FF.....Gorringe is probably the player we would play at CHF IMO and wil also have a run on the ball with Casboult doing less ruckwork and staying at FF.

Dont see who ever we play at CHF expected to kick many goals but whose job will more to provide a marking contest and get the ball down to the smaller/mid sized players...

Jaksch been injured as we haven't seen him in either game? I'd prefer moving him into a key forward post and developing him there. With the lower interchange numbers I'd like Casboult to do some ruck with Kreuzer. Don't really want two ruckmen on the ground, as none of them can rest forward, hence that's where Casboult is handy. We have too many ruckman. Kreuzer, Wood, Phillips would've been enough with help from Caboult. Wood's better than both Phillips and Gorringe. Didn't need the latter.

Reply #102
You need 2 on slow burn. That's why the extras are there, otherwise you end up paying a 30+ year old ruck over a million per year like freo.

Reply #103
Jaksch been injured as we haven't seen him in either game? I'd prefer moving him into a key forward post and developing him there. With the lower interchange numbers I'd like Casboult to do some ruck with Kreuzer. Don't really want two ruckmen on the ground, as none of them can rest forward, hence that's where Casboult is handy. We have too many ruckman. Kreuzer, Wood, Phillips would've been enough with help from Caboult. Wood's better than both Phillips and Gorringe. Didn't need the latter.

Agree - the new interchange rule pretty much mandates a Ruck plus a Forward/Ruck. I think the club has another role in mind for Gorringe at least besides being a ruckman. Not sure he'll be any good for anything though at this stage.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #104
McKay will be in the F50 for the next decade if we can keep hold of him. He showed more in a few chaotic minutes than most of our forwards have shown since Fev left!

Not sure SOSOS will make it unless they can work on his pace, and Cripps has proven that can be changed. SOSOS looked slowish, but I concede that can also be a result of slow decision making. Point of contrast, Weitering is not super fast but never looked slow and he already has an AFL body. But skinny kids who look slow are really starting behind the eight ball, because they need bulk which is almost anathema to adding pace.

Jack was involved in a few passages of play just in front of me in the last quarter and he gave the impression of having plenty of time.  He seems to one of those players with good balance, very good awareness and the ability to make good decisions.  I wasn't convinced that he would make it but a footballer with time to execute in today's game has to do well.

Weitering coughed the ball before I had worked out who he was.  I was quite surprised that such an accomplished looking player made such a clanger and then I realised it was his first game.  Apart from that, he looked very much at home.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball