Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Essendon Sunday 28th Feb (Read 74143 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Essendon Sunday 28th Feb

Reply #135
And another thing.
What's with opposition players standing next to the player on the mark and blocking him on one side to give the player with the ball a clear run?
I noticed it a bit last year but the coaches have all cottoned onto it now, it's unfair and if it's not against the rules it should be.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #136
I'm not to worried about that...as mediocre as it was.

A large number of the players who played today will just represent our depth and development as the year progresses.

They'll be replaced by the core group that was missing today.

For around 75% of them they won't be getting regular full games at AFL level, rather they will just be given the odd game here and there.
How they go when given those opportunities as part of the "A- team" will be more important than what they showed today.

In some respects having players like Jack, Harry and young Curnow working and learning together at the lower levels will be beneficial once they progress to more permanent roles.

Weitering , on the other hand, has already completed his apprenticeship...that was a polished and composed performance.

The big issue is that we will go into Round 1 without a lot of forward power.
Where will the goals come from?

Reply #137
On balance it sounds like few were able to consistently hold their own, and that we lacked the depth and structure. At least that's my read of the game comments.

Can anyone elaborate on the performances of the first gamers?

Although we dream about our Blues winning, I got the sense from Bolts pre-game that we were showcasing our future (selling membership) to the home crowd. That being the case, I wasn't expecting too many 'wins', but sounds like there's lots of disappointed baggers  :-\
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #138
Took my 16month old little fella to our heartland, just because he probably will never get to see Carlton vs Bombers at PP ever again.

Didn't get to see a whole lot of the match because of him, but am kinda half thankful for it. What i did see wasn't very impressive.

However, things to come out of today.

PP/OO/MC/VP/IP is a great venue to watch football from and has a terrific surface to play on.....but....
Don't exect to find a car park within 2km of the ground.
Don't expect to be able to buy a beer unless you are waiting for 10mins....and even then, don't be surprised if they 'sell out' halwayf through the 2nd quarter.
Don't expect to be able to buy any food unless you are waiting for 10mins...and even then, don't be surprised if they 'sell out' by halftime.
Don't expect to be able to....

In short, as long as you don't need need to park, eat, drink or take a leak.....its great. Oh yeah, and no baby changing facilities either.

I would love to play games there again, but i think we are looking at a complete rebuild to do so. Which is a shame.

Onto the football side of things....we had our 2nds in today with a large chunk of our 3rds as well! Got a good look at our kids, and i reckon Jack should get a game before most of them. Just looks like he can play.

Bit of a shout out to the lady who gave me one of the special edition posters for the little fella, because we got there too late to get one. Much appreciated, whoever you are.

Reply #139
All I could think about there today was this is what you get when the top 10 players at your club are made up of players from drafts 10 years ago and the last couple....

Reply #140
Took my 16month old little fella to our heartland, just because he probably will never get to see Carlton vs Bombers at PP ever again.

Didn't get to see a whole lot of the match because of him, but am kinda half thankful for it. What i did see wasn't very impressive.

However, things to come out of today.

PP/OO/MC/VP/IP is a great venue to watch football from and has a terrific surface to play on.....but....
Don't exect to find a car park within 2km of the ground.
Don't expect to be able to buy a beer unless you are waiting for 10mins....and even then, don't be surprised if they 'sell out' halwayf through the 2nd quarter.
Don't expect to be able to buy any food unless you are waiting for 10mins...and even then, don't be surprised if they 'sell out' by halftime.
Don't expect to be able to....

In short, as long as you don't need need to park, eat, drink or take a leak.....its great. Oh yeah, and no baby changing facilities either.

I would love to play games there again, but i think we are looking at a complete rebuild to do so. Which is a shame.

Onto the football side of things....we had our 2nds in today with a large chunk of our 3rds as well! Got a good look at our kids, and i reckon Jack should get a game before most of them. Just looks like he can play.

Bit of a shout out to the lady who gave me one of the special edition posters for the little fella, because we got there too late to get one. Much appreciated, whoever you are.

Nice work Kruddler  :)

I'll have more to say when I get home.  Typing on an iPhone while standing on a tram is not one of my strong points!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #141
Ciaran Byrne looks very good.
You've got to like the way Tutt goes at the ball and the contest but he's sadly lacking in ability.

Sorry Tutt plays scared, as does Everitt and Gorringe. Phillips can't mark to save himself. Has Dick ever done anything useful? Jones runs hard at the man, and that's it. Smith meh!

If the club wants to break their membership total, then trotting out this team against a hated rival is plain stupidity.

It's the same crap players being paraded out and embarrassing the jumper yet again. Haven't we had 3 years of this? Why would a person wavering about buying a membership go get one now?

Sure I know it's pre season but we at home, parading out youngsters for the first time against a hated rival, surely you put a better team up than that. The is a fortnight to out next game, the fixture has been out for 4 months, surely you could have aimed for this game to be the one we win in pre season.

This is a major cross against Bolton and Trigg, a win could have been a real positive for supporters who have gone through a lot over the past 18 months. Bad form Carlton.

Jacob Weitering - Magnificent!!!!!!!!!

Reply #142
If the club wants to break their membership total, then trotting out this team against a hated rival is plain stupidity.

What's better for membership?
Playing kids and losing.
Playing your a-team and losing.

I think they made the right call, because i'm not sure our a-team would've made a difference.

Reply #143
Curnow is a beast. Will be very hard to stop if it all clicks.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #144
What a disgusting effort.

Like you Ray I an freakin well over the continued exposure that is given to the likes of Tutt, Jones, D!ck et al.

Persist with kids and senior capable players not journeymen spuds.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #145
What's better for membership?
Playing kids and losing.
Playing your a-team and losing.

I think they made the right call, because i'm not sure our a-team would've made a difference.

Your A team wouldn't have lost this game.

Walker, Murphy, Gibbs, Kruezer, Cripps, Kerridge, Wright. Even if Walker and Murphy are still too injured the other 5 would have made a huge difference around the ball. So would of playing Simpson and Casboult for a full game. We will be lucky to make 45K members now.

Reply #147
Well if today was an attempt to promote membership then I'm afraid it looked like a monumental fail to me. Most of the people I spoke to at the ground and on the way home were "underwhelmed" to put it mildly, and resigned to more to come of the same old rubbish I'm afraid. I'll wait with my judgments until I've watched a game where we have closer to a full team out.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #148
Yep, cheats FC has one up on us already - whenever a club is struggling and under the pump along comes hapless old Carlton who gift rivals morale boosters.  Priceless opportunity missed to kick this mob and keep 'em down, now they have hope.  Not happy.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #149
Positives: Weitering, Curnow... the Charlie variety, McKay, SOSOS, Nick Graham, Tuohy, Byrne, Buckley. Got more game time into blokes and gave the kids a taste.

Senior blokes Rowe, Docherty, Simpson, Jamison were their usual selves.

Mmm, maybe: Smith, Phillips, Galluci - they showed something but have much to learn, depth players with potential at this stage.

Disappointing: Boekhorst, Whiley, Lamb, Everett, Casboult.

No idea: Cuningham, Dick.

I actually thought Everett was really disappointing.

Go away please: Jones, Gorringe.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17