Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Essendon Sunday 28th Feb (Read 74148 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Essendon Sunday 28th Feb

Reply #150
I'm not to worried about that...as mediocre as it was.

A large number of the players who played today will just represent our depth and development as the year progresses.

They'll be replaced by the core group that was missing today.

For around 75% of them they won't be getting regular full games at AFL level, rather they will just be given the odd game here and there.
How they go when given those opportunities as part of the "A- team" will be more important than what they showed today.

In some respects having players like Jack, Harry and young Curnow working and learning together at the lower levels will be beneficial once they progress to more permanent roles.

Weitering , on the other hand, has already completed his apprenticeship...that was a polished and composed performance.

The big issue is that we will go into Round 1 without a lot of forward power.
Where will the goals come from?

Reckon the likes of Gibbs and Murphy  will have to play forward for longer periods and both kick and create goals for others....
Harry McKay might also have to play more footy than expected and Jaksch be groomed to play forward rather than back.....

Reply #151
alot of these young guys are going to have to learn on the job, that means more senior games than they would otherwise get. Whilst this happens, it will be ugly at times...its the only way when you have no depth

Reply #152
I made the mistake of taking a 4 month old and her pram. So only saw about a quarter.

That was enough time to see Rowe bork up about 4 times. Should have taken Collins in the draft.

Reply #153
Your A team wouldn't have lost this game.

The same a-team that finished last in 2015 and now doesn't have Judd, Carrazzo, Yarran, Henderson and Menzel at their disposal?

I'd like to be half as confident as you, but i wouldn't be pencilling in a win in R6 (or whenever it is) when we play them again.

Reply #155
What a disgusting effort.

Like you Ray I an freakin well over the continued exposure that is given to the likes of Tutt, Jones, D!ck et al.

Persist with kids and senior capable players not journeymen spuds.

We hope Dick didn't get an exposure...haha!

Reply #156
The same a-team that finished last in 2015 and now doesn't have Judd, Carrazzo, Yarran, Henderson and Menzel at their disposal?

I'd like to be half as confident as you, but i wouldn't be pencilling in a win in R6 (or whenever it is) when we play them again.

I understand where you're coming from, but Yazz, Hendo and Menzel did nothing last year, Carrots was on his last legs, and Judd, well................................

Pre season form has little bearing on the season proper. If we must stick the boot in, at least wait until the H/A season.

Reply #157

You could almost argue that the reason we finished last was that we didn't have the majority of that group.... last year. ;D

Reply #158
I understand where you're coming from, but Yazz, Hendo and Menzel did nothing last year, Carrots was on his last legs, and Judd, well................................

Pre season form has little bearing on the season proper. If we must stick the boot in, at least wait until the H/A season.

I'm aware their performances were sub-par, but they were still part of our best team. I'm happy with the blokes we traded/drafted, but they are not going to overtake that group at this stage....as bad as they were.

Reply #160
You could almost argue that the reason we finished last was that we didn't have the majority of that group.... last year. ;D

Are you working with 'them'? That's a clear lob that is not going to clear the player at the net. Easy setup for a smash finish. :P

As above, as basd as they were, they were still the best we had.

Reply #161

They've already shown more spirit than 3/5ths of them ;)

Reply #162
They've already shown more spirit than 3/5ths of them ;)

Agreed.

We showed spirit against the Hawks last week with our a-team in. Doesn't get you a win though.