Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Essendon Sunday 28th Feb (Read 74151 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Essendon Sunday 28th Feb

Reply #165
I was pretty pissed off at stages during todays game, but then I realised this...
It was by far the most inexperienced team Carlton has ever fielded. We had 6 players who havent played a senior game yet (7 if you don't count Byrnes 1 qtr against the Scum last year), Prob add another 5-6 with no more than 10 games exp as well. Appart from a shocking 2nd qtr, we held up alright considering..
Add Gibbs, Kruezer, Kerridge Murphy, Cripps, Walker White Thomas Wright and it d be a totally different story.
But all you ll hear from the Scum loving media is good news stories about how great the Bombers were, barely mentioning we were fielding virtually a Nthrn Blues side against them.

Reply #166
Agreed.

We showed spirit against the Hawks last week with our a-team in. Doesn't get you a win though.

I don't think we played our A team last week...maybe the third game we'll see it.

Reply #167
Went along today, went to the Spirit of Carlton lunch. What a great day, I was in Blue heaven with many past players present. Eventually made it out to the Pratt stand and watched the first quarter. Ended up back  into the George Harris room and sunk beer with Geoff Southby, Jimmy Buckley, Alex Marcou, Terry Daniher etc etc. Couldnt tell you what happened on the field but had a magnificent none the less. My highlights and snippets from today are as follows:
1. We didn't get a cent from the gate today, the Prez was less than impressed. AFL apparently control the NAB games no matter where they are held.
2. Jimmy Buckley and Dominator got zero from the testimonials (lol).
3. Cripps is a monster, came in during lunch and did an interview with the MC Rob Gaylard. What a specimen.
4. Terry Daniher is a legend of a bloke. Gave a great interview also and got to have a beer with hem afterwards.
5. Spoke drank at length with Alex Marcou, I suggested the old blokes need to associate more with the new young players and explain to them what it meant to play for the Blues back in the day. He agreed and will discuss at the next meeting. Ripping fella is Alex.
6. Players came in after the game, we had heaps of senior players out so meh!
7. I wish we could play even 1 game a year at PP.
8. When we went back into the Harris Room at qtr time, they said we could get any beer and had to queue up outside. Before you knew it, Collo wielded his influence and the beer was flowing like there was no tomorrow.
9. The Carlton of old off field was back in town today, on field was not so good (apparently).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #168
As I have said many times, our primary problems are not the forwards, not the ruckmen, not the 200cm types, it has never been the 200cm types not when it was Hammer, SpecialK, Casboult, Rowe and others who were inside F50. Our main problem has been, and will continue to be, use of the ball which remains abhorrent compared to other ALF teams. Not just from a kicking accuracy perspective but from a decision making perspective as well.

We have been, we still appear to be, and are likely to remain in the near future, the worst users of the ball in the competition. Our very best stand out in our team, but our best are very average when compared to other clubs.
In many way that statement from LP is the crux of the matter. We turn the ball over. A lot! 9 Essendon goals were direct results of turnovers today. We lost by 10 goals with an U18 team on the field. We do not hit targets enough and we select poorly when it comes to targets.
If there is one region I would like to see us improve in this season more than any other it is this: our disposal. When we make turnovers and get 9 goals from them, we will beat a LOT OF SIDES that thin they are pretty good.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #169
Agreed.

We showed spirit against the Hawks last week with our a-team in. Doesn't get you a win though.

This we can all agree on - the young ones will be hot and cold, which is to be expected.

Reply #170
All those carrying on like the cheats have done so well with their top up players - look back to when pagan recruited Digby morrell, Mick Martyn and all those recycled players. I remember it Cleary -watching them play exciting, very competitive 'pre season footy' only to fall on our face and finish last in the season proper.

We all knew trading away established player like Henderson, yarran, Menzel and picking up 4 top 20 picks in the draft would take time to bare fruit.

It will come boys just be prepared for more short term pain until these kids have 30-50 games under there belt then look out.

Weitering made an impression I can't recall any 1st round player making - and yes i know it's just a pre season match. BUT His body is ready but better still is his head. he made decisions a seasoned player would make!

The cheats on the other hand can enjoy their laugh at us over today - we will laugh last I'm sure of it. Regardless how these old bums go this year, I reckon half of the 12 players out this year won't be there next year. What do they do then and how does that compare to where we will be.

Chin up boys - we are rebuilding and when your full starting midfield is not playing I certainly didn't expect much score wise today.

Reply #171
I was pretty pissed off at stages during todays game, but then I realised this...
It was by far the most inexperienced team Carlton has ever fielded. We had 6 players who havent played a senior game yet (7 if you don't count Byrnes 1 qtr against the Scum last year), Prob add another 5-6 with no more than 10 games exp as well. Appart from a shocking 2nd qtr, we held up alright considering..
Add Gibbs, Kreuzer, Kerridge Murphy, Cripps, Walker White Thomas Wright and it d be a totally different story.
But all you ll hear from the Scum loving media is good news stories about how great the Bombers were, barely mentioning we were fielding virtually a Nthrn Blues side against them.
Channel 7 has much to answer for. Their view of things has rarely been ours, even when we had a number of guys there. Now it is basically an Essendon fan club.
Be that as it may, I saw a lot today. And, apart from the obvious (Jacob Weitering), none of it was mentioned in the media.

Another certainty in life is that your typical Essendon supporter has learnt NOTHING from their sins, and is still blindly protective. Can't they recognize the difference between right and wrong? I am amazed at how blinkered they are.
When we Salary Cap violations came out, we removed what was necessary. We did it quickly and thoroughly. Yet we remain divided.
Essendon commit probably the greatest crime in world sport, something that may affect their players health life that f the East German athletes  the 1970's and they care nothing. They bury their heads in the sand.

I do not understand them. I do wonder if they are of the same species.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #172
I do not understand them. I do wonder if they are of the same species.

They are living proof that Zika has been in Australia for many years!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #173
In many way that statement from LP is the crux of the matter. We turn the ball over. A lot! 9 Essendon goals were direct results of turnovers today. We lost by 10 goals with an U18 team on the field. We do not hit targets enough and we select poorly when it comes to targets.
If there is one region I would like to see us improve in this season more than any other it is this: our disposal. When we make turnovers and get 9 goals from them, we will beat a LOT OF SIDES that thin they are pretty good.

Poor footballers turn the ball over, poor cricketers get out cheap, poor tennis players make unforced errors.
You can't polish a turd, we just have too many sub-standard players, the wooden spoon was no accident.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #174
I didn't know footy could be played as bad as we played it in the first half today. Second half microscopically better.

Positives? Weitering looked good. Silvagni, Curnow and McKay were good in flashes. Cunningham may want to forget that one.

I watched us warm up and literally 1 out of 4 kicks went where it was supposed to. I watched a suburban team in preseason on Friday night on the next oval from Milo Cricket and their skill level was far in advance of our guys.

You absolutely would not believe our guys were paid to practice every day.

I wish I could blame Jones but he only had one pos that didn't find the target all game. It also happened to be his only possession for the game.

Tutt is another bust.

I'm also writing off Whiley.

Clem had bit of a go but still doesn't look at all likely to make it. Not fast enough sure - but he's not good enough either.

Boek's disposal was appalling today but at least he got involved.

Jamo, Simo and Rowe were just crap today.

Obviously 90% of our team weren't playing but I think this was a misstep by Bolton. This performance would have hurt a lot of the younger guys confidence.

Byrne didn't set the world of fire but showed flashes.

I loath Everitt. LOATH everything about him.

Reply #175
Great afternoon at PP. Brought back good memories and fun to be able to go to the footy for the first time in two years. Well done to the club. Just a shame the team couldn't deliver.

Weitering was the bright spot in an otherwise ordinary performance. A lot of b grade players and little experience capable of guiding them. Our skills are still average and decision making suffers accordingly as confidence falls away.

Few of the likely round one players only put in half efforts. That's OK. Casboult is a bit of a worry though. He just doesn't impose himself for a fellow his size and role. Perhaps a lot of them had a tough week training.

Really disappointing that Carlton made little out of the match. The club put in an effort to have the game hosted and to hear we get no return is a kick in the guts.
It is only Feb though.

Reply #177
Field something like this team and I'd like to think we would have been favorites.

Buckley  Jammo  Weitering
Touhy     Rowe   Docherty 
 Boekhurst    Gibbs  Simpson
Thomas   C. Curnow Walker
Kerridge  Casboult   Everitt

Kruezer  Cripps  Murphy

Graham  E Curnow  Whiley  Phillips

Players like Boekhurst, Whiley, Graham, Everitt will all play better when surrounded by better players and better decision makers. I'd rather be leading from the goal square seeing Murphy, Gibbs or Thomas running towards me with the ball, rather than Tutt, Dick or Jones!!

Reply #178
My take on today's game:
I do apologize if I go over material that has been done previously. However, I do have a fair bit to say.
[1]   You can tell that there have been no senior games at Ikon Park for a long time. I doubt there has been a cent spent on ¾ of the ground since we were forced to move. And it looked like it. The seats were falling apart.
I find out there is some reason: we didn’t get a cent from today’s game. The AFL retain complete control.
I was amazed.

Unfortunately, it shows what we have become used to at Etihad and the MCG. It would take millions to make Ikon Park back into a true AFL venue; millions we do not have. As much as I love the place, I cannot see the ground being used more unless there is a LOT of money spent on it.

[2]   The team we put out today was almost an U18 team. We had a handful of senior players. In the circumstances, we were not that bad. We have a huge way to go, but of the younger players our stood out in comparison.

[3]   Football records: where were they? We had almost 20 000 people at the game today and maybe 1 in 5 had a record. This was not our responsibility, so why were there so few?

[4]   The players:
I found it difficult to judge because I did not have a footy record and did not recognize all of our players, let alone any of theirs.
However, I did keep notes, and with the stats I have produced some comments:

Silvagni:   This lad has a long way to go to get the pace of the game, but he appeared to have a good idea what he was doing. I was disappointed that he missed his shot at goal (but then, most of our guys did) and his kicking lacked the muscle that will improve it.
He may get a few games late I the year, perhaps, but this year will be mostly played in the VFL.
Don’t judge him yet: his body is seriously underdeveloped.

Simpson:   If he ever needed a run, today was it. He was rustier than the ore found in the Pilbara. He had a very small contribution in the 1st half, but he will get better.

Buckley:   Not bad, but he also really needed the run.

Harry McKay:   A part of our Undiscovered Country – the future. He got his hands to the ball a fair bit and looked dangerous. He is still very young and very light, but it wouldn’t take a lot to turn his game into an impressive one. Unlike a number of his team mates, he also used the ball effectively.
I liked what I saw.

Boekhorst:   Very disappointing. He did some really nice things and had a huge run at one point, but his kicking was excremental. He really needs to lift to be a part of our future on that effort.

Jed Lamb:   Didn’t do much. His tackling was good, and his defensive efforts were good, but he just didn’t get the ball.
I noted that he spent most of his time in the midfield, but he is going to spend a lot of VFL time unless he starts being more proactive.

Jones:   To quote the 3rd Indiana Jones film, “Wo ist Jones?” He appeared to try, but our players would not kick it to him even when he had great position. He had minimal effect.

Docherty:   Very rusty, but did a good negative job. With the amount of ball their mids were getting, their small forwards should have had a picnic. They barely had a sniff. But Doc had only 6 possessions for his half of the game.

Rowe:   My God! Rowe was brilliant in the air, both punching and marking and he generally beat his man hands down. But his kicking! He dropped 2 of the easiest marks I’ve ever seen and his kicking was deplorable. He seemed to want his kicks intercepted or out on the full.

Tutt: Tutt wasn’t bad – he was just Tutt. He appears to be working on his game still and he tries but his issues are well known. He will get senior games. That says a lot about the state of our list.
Weitering:   Jacob Weitering will play in Round 1. He will hold his own. He looked like he belonged. He is not yet up to the pace of the game, but he took some very nice marks and did not lose a 1 on 1 contest. He did lose his man sometimes, which lead to a couple of Essendon goals, but he is going to frustrate opposition fans and thrill ours and soon.

Whiley:   Whiley had a shocker. Tried to do too much too often and got caught. Not the contributor of last week.
However, he did do a fair bit of 3rd man up stuff and did it well. He also tackled very well. But he just didn’t get the ball enough.

Clem Smith:   Not a senior player yet, but he looked better than last year. He almost took mark of the day, but couldn’t hold on. He looked stronger and fitter, but still gets lost and doesn’t get enough ball.

Cunningham:   Will take time on today’s effort. Struggled to get a kick, even though he was in the action a fair bit.

Charlie Curnow:      A different role this week, in the midfield and defence. Not bad. Looks like he’ll have a future.

Matthew Dick:   Didn’t get much of a run and was OK.

Graham:   Nick was one of our best, and our only mid to get the ball regularly. He’ll be much better with Cripps and Murphy around him, but he stood up in the midfield and looks to be on his way back from his injury. A good chance to see round 1.

Everitt:   He spent time in defence and had a pretty quiet day.

Andrew Phillips:   I don’t remember seeing Phillips before. There is something to work with there. He doesn’t have a lot of idea about a number of things, but he can seriously jump. He doesn’t direct his taps enough yet: he got his hand to the ball only to see Essendon get the centre break. He made a target and he isn’t that slow. He needs a good ruck coach and a LOT of game time.

Ed Curnow:   Lots of defensive stuff, but relatively quiet. Loved his long bomb.

Daniel Gorringe:   I was hoping to see him play forward a bit, but he did a fair bit of ruck work and wasn’t bad in that department. He is pretty lean, so the Essendon guys tried to ragdoll him, but that didn’t work.

Ciaran Byrne:   Stay fit, please! He looked good. He moved well and made good decisions. His kicking was decent and he clearly thrashed his opponents in 1 on 1 contests. Round 1 if he is fit enough.

Jamo:   Good while he was on.

Casboult:   Took a couple of really strong marks, but wasn’t a big contributor.

Tuohy:   Strong in defence and running up the ground. One of our best easily.

Andrew Gallucci:   Some nice things, but depends on outsprinting guys too much. He needs to change direction and look for team mates more. Still, he showed he could get it and kick a goal.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #179
They are living proof that Zika has been in Australia for many years!
Indeed. Never has been so much microcephaly on display.

Mind you, I was not over impressed by the umpiring. They got 3 to every one we managed and some of those 50 m penalties were mysteries to everyone involved.
Live Long and Prosper!