Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Essendon Sunday 28th Feb (Read 74149 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Essendon Sunday 28th Feb

Reply #180
I will contribute to this thread, but not tonight.

I had interesting chats with Dennis Armfield, Levi Casboult and Ed Curnow after the game and I want to pass on what they had to say but I'm just a little too tired and emotional  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #181

I had interesting chats with Dennis Armfield, Levi Casboult and Ed Curnow after the game and I want to pass on what they had to say but I'm just a little too tired and emotional  ;)

Are we going to like what they had to say ?

Maybe you should edit your post to remove their names - "I chatted to 3 of our senior players after the game..........."

Reply #182
Indeed. Never has been so much microcephaly on display.

Mind you, I was not over impressed by the umpiring. They got 3 to every one we managed and some of those 50 m penalties were mysteries to everyone involved.

I'll forgive the umpiring given it was a practice game as the female umpire looked pretty damn good...lol!

Reply #183
Are we going to like what they had to say ?

Maybe you should edit your post to remove their names - "I chatted to 3 of our senior players after the game..........."

Honest appraisals of where they're at and where we're at . . . and there's a lot to like  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #184
Honest appraisals of where they're at and where we're at . . . and there's a lot to like  :)

That's good. I'm looking forward to your summary.

I thought maybe they were talking to you in confidence, and off the record.

Reply #185
Poor footballers turn the ball over, poor cricketers get out cheap, poor tennis players make unforced errors.
You can't polish a turd, we just have too many sub-standard players, the wooden spoon was no accident.

Here here !!!
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #187

TEASE!!!! :D
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #189

Can't wait...... Its been pretty gloomy on here today.
To date: the club put on a fabulous day out at IP, excelled like yesteryear off field, collected $0, signed up ? Members, saw something from the new draftees (including a bit of fight), and have more spuds than an Irish stew.
Bring it on DJC  :D
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #190
All those players missing today....absolutely none of them will solve our forward line issues....and boy, are those issues massive.

Brilliant seeing the ground full, but geez, for a game so well publicised throughout the week, the place was woefully under-prepared with water, records, food items and worst of all - membership cards all running out of supplies well before half time. Not bloody good enough. The place is dilapidated and not a hope in hell of ever hosting a another H&A game.

Weitering is an absolute lock for round 1 and beyond.....and although not prominent today, I like what Charlie Curnow brings to the table. McKay clearly needs time, but with virtually no forward line to speak of, I'm thinking he'd almost be a certainty for round 1 also.

So many players stunk it up that it'd probably be unfair to mention them, but fook me Phillips is a spud. Geez I hope we don't suffer too many injuries this year, cos our quality of depth is paper thin.

To use a Bolton-ism, I hope we have a 'reset' come round 1....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #191

Unfortunately, it shows what we have become used to at Etihad and the MCG. It would take millions to make Ikon Park back into a true AFL venue; millions we do not have. As much as I love the place, I cannot see the ground being used more unless there is a LOT of money spent on it.

$100M to be exact according to Trigg at todays lunch.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #192
Rubbish, it's all between the ears.....

Fixing that takes time.

If you start off with a player who is sub-standard in talent, then it doesn't matter how much you get inside their head, they only have a very limited upside.

Work with a player of immense talent but is young and inexperienced, teach them well from the get-go and you will be rewarded handsomely.

We had a number of players on the list last year who were liabilities hence the reason why we won the flag. We have started to address that fact with some strategic list management which will take some time to blossom.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #193
Mind you, I was not over impressed by the umpiring. They got 3 to every one we managed and some of those 50 m penalties were mysteries to everyone involved.

It was a flashback to the Geesh today. Why are they paying 50m penalties for some very technical stuff, like seagulls waiting to swoop on a hot chip, in a fecking preseason game? Just chill, tell the player to ease up and get on with it.

Reply #194
Umpiring aside, we fielded possibly our weakest squad so the score line is irrelevant. Here are some observations.

Weitering is a General already. Composure, skill and maturity beyond his years.

SOSGSOS. Wow!! Still raw but this kid can play and exceeded my expectations by a long way.

Harry Mackay...will become a damaging target.

Charlie Curnow...Love this kid already. Needs to work on his skills under duress but that will come. Reminds me of Waite with a bigger upside.

Cunningham.. Disappointed after a promising pre-season. But not a write off by a long shot.

Tuohy...Great effort

Boeky and Clem...showed glimpses of an improved level of development.
IN WADA WE TRUST