Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Essendon Sunday 28th Feb (Read 74142 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Essendon Sunday 28th Feb

Reply #225
At this point, we have no option but to sit tight and see what Bolton and SOS can do.

Nothing to be gained by going the early crow.

We've experienced the thrill of winning a pre season comp before - a thrill that lasted all of 15 minutes.

Reply #226
And if you decide whether or not to renew your membership on that back of a result in one of these matches.........have a good hard look at yourself.

That's a very fair call btw.....

Gonna be more pain than not this year......we just have to learn to accept that - which is a mightily tough thing to do, but at least we're finally doing things the right way off the field.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #227
Given that 12 of Essendon's best 15 were missing most of us probably expected a tighter contest, particularly at Princes Park, or at the very least to see some acceptable level of skill.

We left our midfield out and exposed our kids to AFL. Essendon bodies were alot bigger and some of their top ups are no mugs. We were way more undermanned compared to Essendon's 2016 list. Essendon, after all their problems, were pumped up to play hard too. For us, it was just trying things out, plus we keep our rotations under 90, which other clubs don't do in the pre-season.

We have plenty to work on and we won't win alot but it's more about process more than result driven outcome in the pre-season.

Reply #228
Some might say it was the result the Bombers needed.

Jones is fairly useless, and has cemented his status as whipping boy for the next two years, which can only be good to keep the fans off the kids back.

At least he is "trying".  One of these days he might knock himself out in the process of going in, which would be an improvement.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #229
Given that 12 of Essendon's best 15 were missing most of us probably expected a tighter contest, particularly at Princes Park, or at the very least to see some acceptable level of skill.
I hoped for a better contest, but in reality the dons still ran out with a more experienced team (Goddard, Zaharakis, Daniher) and brought in more match ready guys like simpkin and Crowley. We brought in several players with no seniors experience (Weitering, Mckay, Curnow, Cunningham and Silvagni) and some with minimal AFL experience (Phillips, Gorringe, Boekhurst, Gallucci, Byrne, Smith, Whiley, Dick, Graham etc).

That said, yes, I think we all expected some better skills on display and more willingness to take the game on. We are going to lose plenty of times this year, but I want to see us losing by making mistakes that are at least taking us in the right direction or give glimpses of hope (ie trying a new innovative game plan, taking some risks like playing on more with quick ball movement, playing with more physical presence) than making the same old mistakes that have been endemic in our game for the last few years (ie. booting it long to nobody and watching it come back for a goal) and got us nowhere. I'd rather see free kicks given against us for high hits in a tough contest, players getting caught with the ball while trying to take on the opposition and clangers being kicked because someone just took 4 bounces while running their guts out than the steady stream of 50m kicks from half back along the boundary line that get intercepted all to easily or are to a 3-1 contest. At least we'll learn from the former and the young guns will be better for it in a couple of years time. As a team we cannot continue to be so individually risk averse.

I really hope that what BB is drilling into the playing group after yesterday's performance is that its ok to make mistakes but its not ok to not try hard enough. As a supporter I accept mistakes will be made and there will be losses this year, some pretty bad ones too. What I can't abide this year is players not fighting like hell every time they take the field and not showing some passion for the jumper.

Reply #230
2 mickey mouse pre-season games into a 3 + year complete re-build......I'll reserve my overreacting for a while.  And if you decide whether or not to renew your membership on that back of a result in one of these matches.........have a good hard look at yourself.

That's easy to say, but the cold hard facts are that we need members and people prefer to back a winning side. I'm a little concerned with the players Bolton has picked these Games but hopefully he is having a good look at some of the Spuds and putting lines through their names.

Raydan is right, Home Game at PP with a competitive side and the young kids  = 5,000 more members IMO. They missed a trick here, but Don't mind we are treating the NAB challenge as it should be. Glorified Scratchy.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #231
I really hope that what BB is drilling into the playing group after yesterday's performance is that its ok to make mistakes but its not ok to not try hard enough. As a supporter I accept mistakes will be made and there will be losses this year, some pretty bad ones too. What I can't abide this year is players not fighting like hell every time they take the field and not showing some passion for the jumper.

To be honest I've never doubted our commitment over the last decade or more, in my opinion our lack of success has come down to a lack of playing personnel and I don't see that turning around any time soon.
When you're getting well beaten on a regular basis it often looks as though you've given up, and subconsciously that may even be true to some extent, but even last season I saw players like Docherty, Tuohy, Simpson, Murphy, Buckley, Curnow, Bell, Rowe and plenty of others busting their gut to the final bell when we were 8 or 10 goals down and all hope was lost.
One of the biggest problems that poor sides face on a regular basis is that they hit troughs during games and yesterday was no exception, at one stage Essendon kicked 9 unanswered goals.
If this was out of character or some sort of aberration it wouldn't faze me, but it's been an ongoing theme at Carlton now for longer than I care to remember.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #232
Bolton's only been here 5 minutes. He needs to be able to see all his charges under something vaguely resembling match conditions. It becomes harder and far more risky to select a depleted side during the H/A season.

Nobody wants a losing culture, but I think he's going about it the right way, at the right time.

Reply #233
We have plenty to work on and we won't win a lot but it's more about process more than result driven outcome in the pre-season.

We've been telling ourselves that for so long it's become monotonous.
Explain the process to me of you will.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #234
To be honest I've never doubted our commitment over the last decade or more, in my opinion our lack of success has come down to a lack of playing personnel and I don't see that turning around any time soon.
When you're getting well beaten on a regular basis it often looks as though you've given up, and subconsciously that may even be true to some extent, but even last season I saw players like Docherty, Tuohy, Simpson, Murphy, Buckley, Curnow, Bell, Rowe and plenty of others busting their gut to the final bell when we were 8 or 10 goals down and all hope was lost.
One of the biggest problems that poor sides face on a regular basis is that they hit troughs during games and yesterday was no exception, at one stage Essendon kicked 9 unanswered goals.
If this was out of character or some sort of aberration it wouldn't faze me, but it's been an ongoing theme at Carlton now for longer than I care to remember.

You get institutionalized whether you are in a losing or a winning culture - subconsciously you expect one or the other, depending on what you've mostly experienced. This will be another big challenge for Bolts and co.

Reply #235
A good result may have helped momentum in the membership stakes but to suggest it cost us 10% of our membership is ridiculous.

We've been short sighted for far too long.

ROUND 1
ROUND 1
ROUND 1

That's all Bolts has been saying.

3 year rebuild and half the CSC board are putting a gun to their temple after a dodgy NAB game.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #236
I left the post game function just before 6 and walked through Princes Park towards the city.  On the next oval I saw Matt Korcheck and two other players doing wind sprints under the direction of one of the fitness staff.  They were fitted with GPS harnesses and appeared to have been working hard for quite a while.

It reinforced the impression I have that Bolton has a program in place and it's being followed precisely.
He stated is his presser that Cripps, Gibbs, Murphy, Thomas and some others were put through a training session yesterday morning. They have a plan and they are sticking to it which is great to see quite frankly.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #237
Soooo, as a membership drive it was good preparation for R1 in terms of sorting the sheep from the goats?  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #238
A good result may have helped momentum in the membership stakes but to suggest it cost us 10% of our membership is ridiculous.

We've been short sighted for far too long.

ROUND 1
ROUND 1
ROUND 1

That's all Bolts has been saying.

3 year rebuild and half the CSC board are putting a gun to their temple after a dodgy NAB game.

Well, that's all good if we actually turn up TO PLAY in Rd 1 AND WIN!!!!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #239
Well, that's all good if we actually turn up TO PLAY in Rd 1 AND WIN!!!!

If we can beat the Tiggers I would be mightily pleased - they will be a big challenge for us.
Reality always wins in the end.