Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Essendon Sunday 28th Feb (Read 74147 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Essendon Sunday 28th Feb

Reply #240
That's fair enough for yesterday Cimm but what about our other games?
Hopefully BB has something up his sleeve, he seems to be pretty savvy.
What he (and his staff) have up their sleeves is a plan which is a novel concept at PP. Everyone should take a chill pill and enjoy the ride, its gonna be bumpy but just embrace it. Its a couple of praccy matches and people are panicking. Chilax peeps.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #241
You get institutionalized whether you are in a losing or a winning culture - subconsciously you expect one or the other, depending on what you've mostly experienced. This will be another big challenge for Bolts and co.

Yep, no argument there from me.
One of our biggest problems is that losing is entrenched, apart from Thomas no player on our list has experienced success at senior level, even to a moderate extent.
It can be turned around but history says that it's never a quick or easy process, personally I think it will be four or five years at a minimum, conditional on a vastly improved result at the National Draft.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #242
Well, that's all good if we actually turn up TO PLAY in Rd 1 AND WIN!!!!

Turn up TO PLAY, I can almost guarantee it.

Win? not sure. Tiges should be cherry ripe for round one. This is year 5 (?) of Hardwick.

We'll have possibly 5-7 new players and a squad implementing, not only BB's game plan and style but, every single line coach. That's a massive task
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #243
Turn up TO PLAY, I can almost guarantee it.

Win? not sure. Tiges should be cherry ripe for round one. This is year 5 (?) of Hardwick.

We'll have possibly 5-7 new players and a squad implementing, not only BB's game plan and style but, every single line coach. That's a massive task

Massive ask yes but we can't aim for honourable losses.....

Our midfield matches up very well with theirs, very well imo.

Weitering on Riewoldt? Similar size.....

Other than Jack, I don't rate their forward line any higher than ours.

Back lines - Rance good, the rest, meh.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #245

Of course you don't aim for honourable losses but you can do everything you can to win and if you come up short , so be it.

There will also be a massive emphasis on development. Which I take to mean as they won't take unecessary risks if they don't dovetail with our long term plans.

That includes playing guys in positions they don't want to or introducing players (like McKay) if they are not ready and losing crapty NAB challenge games if it that matches their strategy.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #246

I think their backline is better than you give them credit for, despite Rance you have regulars like Houli, Edwards, Ellis and they have even run McIntosh off the HBF a bit. I think one of the motivations for recruiting Yarran was to free up blokes like Ellis and McIntosh for longer midfield rotations. I suspect if anything we should be able to get hold of them around the ground and in the ruck, because Maric is not very mobile and Graham is relatively slow. Choi has some pace though I suspect he won't be a starter this season.

If we can apply some real pressure Nthmond also become pretty ordinary ball users.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #247
Clearly, the Tiges have much more riding on this game than us. A must win game for them. First week finals exit for 3 consecutive seasons, Dimmer's final year of contract.........

This, plus a more established, settled and experienced side, should see them home.

A loss for them would be unthinkable.

Reply #248
Gibbs took a nice mark about 30 metres from goal in the last quarter.  Bad luck he was standing in front of the indoor training facility at the time.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #250
Clearly, the Tiges have much more riding on this game than us. A must win game for them. First week finals exit for 3 consecutive seasons, Dimmer's final year of contract.........

This, plus a more established, settled and experienced side, should see them home.

A loss for them would be unthinkable.
I dont know about this. The impatient ones at PP will get the knives out quicker than you can say "reset".
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #251
I dont know about this. The impatient ones at PP will get the knives out quicker than you can say "reset".

Swann and Kernahan are gone now so we will be fine.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #252
You get institutionalized whether you are in a losing or a winning culture - subconsciously you expect one or the other, depending on what you've mostly experienced. This will be another big challenge for Bolts and co.

Results orientation vs mastery orientation. The system is designed to eventually bring you down, you need to deal with the fact you won't win all the time. If you're playing off the thin foundation of expecting to win then when it finally catches up with you - you spend 20 years without a flag and 4 spoons to your name.

We're coming from a long way back and with some culture issues to address. No need to crap the bed before we've laid down.

Reply #253

True, but the impatient and the ill informed (inside the club) are the ones that cause half the problems. Hopefully the Judge has these guys and gals under control.

I'd be very surprised if any serious scribe or football analyst tips us for a win.

Reply #254
Results orientation vs mastery orientation. The system is designed to eventually bring you down, you need to deal with the fact you won't win all the time. If you're playing off the thin foundation of expecting to win then when it finally catches up with you - you spend 20 years without a flag and 4 spoons to your name.

We're coming from a long way back and with some culture issues to address. No need to crap the bed before we've laid down.

I don't really understand the point you're making. It does sound interesting though.