Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Essendon Sunday 28th Feb (Read 74143 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Essendon Sunday 28th Feb

Reply #285
Gorringe best is probably better than Philips and I did see him take a nice mark or two but he lacks intensity....Philips ruckwork isnt bad for a novice but he seemed butterfingered vs the Bombers
and couldnt hang onto the ball....both perform better when played as the 1st ruck..

Phillips is an upgrade on Warnock, whether he can mark or not, he looks more likely too and his tapwork isn't half bad.
Gorringe is an upgrade on Watson. Uses his size a lot better and has more of an influence on the game given limited opportunites.....to this point.

Reply #286
Whiley worries me, but so do half the list.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #287
Whiley worries me, but so do half the list.
Whiley Coyote just needs to realise he needs to get rid of the ball quicker, make his decisions quicker etc
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #288
Whiley Coyote just needs to realise he needs to get rid of the ball quicker, make his decisions quicker etc

I was thinking the same, if he's just slow of foot then he might make it, but if he's slow of mind (or both) then he's toast.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #289
I was thinking the same, if he's just slow of foot then he might make it, but if he's slow of mind (or both) then he's toast.
Cant handball very well either. Has an awful technique.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #291
Did you notice McKays kicking technique ? ????
Awkward looking.
You think so? I thought he looked ok, most left footers do.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #292
Yes. He doesn't look for the first option. He doesn't have the pace for many other options. He hasn't shown the game nous to select the best option - yet. Not insoluble problems yet, but something that does need attention.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #293
Did you notice McKays kicking technique ? ????
Awkward looking.
On the move he is a smooth a kick as you are likely to see. But with a set shot he needs work.
Menzel was the same. On the run he was deadly. However, he never had a set routine for a set shot and it could (and did) look a lot less effective than it could have been.
The first thing we need to do with McKay is get the kicking coach at him, so he has a set routine whenever he has a set kick. It has improved Casboult, who has a lot more issues with his kicking technique than McKay does.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #294
Yes. He doesn't look for the first option. He doesn't have the pace for many other options. He hasn't shown the game nous to select the best option - yet. Not insoluble problems yet, but something that does need attention.

Unusually I quite like him, he is a good size, it just seems he hasn't caught up to the speed of the game yet. Big jump from local league and training.
He seems to get the ball, be in the right position to get the ball but takes a lazy step then decides what to do with it. Needs better awareness of his situation.
Maybe next game his job is to get rid of the ball at his first quickest option. Just sayin...

Reply #295
On the move he is a smooth a kick as you are likely to see. But with a set shot he needs work.
Menzel was the same. On the run he was deadly. However, he never had a set routine for a set shot and it could (and did) look a lot less effective than it could have been.
The first thing we need to do with McKay is get the kicking coach at him, so he has a set routine whenever he has a set kick. It has improved Casboult, who has a lot more issues with his kicking technique than McKay does.

Only if he is not kicking straight, if he is kicking straight I could't care what he looks like.

Reply #296
Unusually I quite like him, he is a good size, it just seems he hasn't caught up to the speed of the game yet. Big jump from local league and training.
He seems to get the ball, be in the right position to get the ball but takes a lazy step then decides what to do with it. Needs better awareness of his situation.
Maybe next game his job is to get rid of the ball at his first quickest option. Just sayin...

Wow, this guy has played 20 games in his career and has been unlucky with injury.....

Let's see how he fares when Murphy, Gibbs, Cripps, Kerridge are taking most of the heat?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #297

That particular trait is not a good one to have - Rarely do any quality players that have this trait starting off.

Cripps first 10 games I thought he looked slow pace wise but was always looked capable with his hands and decision making.

Decision making and execution are the fundamentals that champion teams have an abundance of.

Whiley, Wood, Jones, Dick or Tutt to name a few, cant be around when we have built some depth into this list IMO.

Reply #299
Wow, this guy has played 20 games in his career and has been unlucky with injury.....

Let's see how he fares when Murphy, Gibbs, Cripps, Kerridge are taking most of the heat?

I have reservations about Whiley too.  We really need midfielders who can take the heat off Murphy, Gibbs and Cripps rather than relying on them to do the heavy lifting.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball