Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 10: Post Game Paradise!: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 49898 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 10: Post Game Paradise!: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #150
Simon White's last quarter was 'Kouta like in '99'! Ok, I'm going over the top, but it was bloody good!!!

It just shows you what confidence and belief in yourself and your team mates can bring to a player that most say was on the outer.

Terrific second half by White.   8)

Reply #151
White was amazing in the last and he seemed to have some added confidence and just pushed forward - great effort.

Agree with Big Nic on our accurate kicking - I said earlier Army sometimes just misses those running into goals but nailed his three - however I disagree the cats would've walloped us had they kicked straight in the first - still think we were on yday and nothing was going to change that.

Also agree re Lions - would not be at all surprised if we were beaten as we were fierce and must be feeling it today - I hope we can win it though!

Reply #152
White was amazing in the last and he seemed to have some added confidence and just pushed forward - great effort.

There was something a bit different about White's game yesterday.

Hard to pin it down...confidence is probably the word.... but he took the opposition on a couple of times and broke tackles like I've never seen him do before

Reply #153
http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-replay

Just in case you missed it. Last quarter a gem!

by the way, what's the latest on Murphy and Sumner?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #154
Apart from Hawkins, Motlop and Menzel Geelong's front half is pretty average,  and Menzel wasn't there.
I wouldn't get too carried away with Simon White just yet, although he was good yesterday.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #155
Hampson is in career best form for Richmond: they have got more out of him than we did. However, the question would now be, what could Bolton have got out of him?
That said, the deal that got us Docherty has already proved its value. He looked so so at Brisbane, but he has improved each year he has been with us and is really showing the spirit we wanted. His comments last year about us supporting the boys showed he cared for the club even though we were at our lowest ebb.

Docherty will be in the AA squad at the half way mark... he looked a nice player when we got him, but he has gone to an elite level this year. Sensational player. Will go close to being the next captain.

Career best for Hampson isn't that good, but he is doing a job for the Tigers. I'd take Docherty every day of the week, but let's be magnanimous and call it a win-win.

Reply #156
I'd love someone to interview Malthouse this morning to see what his take on our season is.

Re: Rd 10: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #157
Goes to show just how horrific the decision to let Mick Malthouse get his hands on this club was imo.

Players like Gibbs are reinvigorated and playing like they are in the top few mids in the competition, yet everyone wanted them gone. Kreuzer breaks the record for tackles by any Carlton player in a game vs Geelong.. KREUZER!!!

In the last quarter it still would not have bothered me if Cats had overrun us (well it would have, but I still would have been stoked with the effort by this group to that stage), but instead we were still the better team in the last as well.

Bolton is already shoe-in for Coach of the Year imo, with no disrespect to Roos, Scott, Scott or anyone else.
He turned one of the least competitive units in the competition into a real football team again, 2 years earlier than ANYONE could have imagined.

Incredible win.  The coach is an extraordinary young fella.  Our zone defence is bamboozling teams!   In a way, considering how many first round draft picks we have in the side, I can almost understand why this is happening.  However, poor coaching has obviously hindered our ability to play to our full  potential.  Malthouse should be ashamed today.

Reply #158
One thing I've been thinking about for a few weeks is Cripps. I'm not sure if he is fully fit but over ran the ball a few times and struggle to pick it up. Just not looking as sharp as he normally does. He is still influencing games however which is always a positive.

I just hope he doesn't become our new lance whitnall where the game passes him by by the age of 24.

Reply #159
One thing I've been thinking about for a few weeks is Cripps. I'm not sure if he is fully fit but over ran the ball a few times and struggle to pick it up. Just not looking as sharp as he normally does. He is still influencing games however which is always a positive.

I just hope he doesn't become our new lance whitnall where the game passes him by by the age of 24.

Like how he out positioned and out marked Dangerfield 1 on 1 late in the last quarter?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #160
Like how he out positioned and out marked Dangerfield 1 on 1 late in the last quarter?

I'm more refrencing his trouble when the ball hits the ground. That contest was huge, granted.

Reply #161
Any updates on Murphy and Sumner???
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #162
I know it's better not to look back but, sheesh, this side virtually bears no resemblance to the CFC side of this time last year.

There's a culture and a spirit being created and developed that is irresistible. And with the addition of some top end talent to come, we should get better.

As a critic of Everitt I must admit that not only did he play, probably, his best game for us but he was influential in our victory. I was at the game and impressed with willingness to do things he might not normally do. Now he has to continue in that vein, if not build even further. There was only a couple of softer efforts from him... let's get rid of those completely - his positioning and opportunism is at times really uncanny.

Concerned with Weits, looked tired/lacking a spark. I know he's a low key/serious character but when he dropped that overhead mark and seemed to hear footsteps... well, that's just not like him. He might seem mature beyond his years but he's still a kid.

Loved watching the ruthless persistence of the group. Uncompromising stuff. When Murphy went off Gibbs and other leaders stepped up - accountable and leadership initiative stuff.

Now to win a game we would be expected to win (Lions). Another big test.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #163
Secondly, Sam Rowe. Not one disposal up to half time, but I have to give him credit for playing about as well as he can, on Hawkins. mind you, Hawkins missed two sodas in the first quarter which he should have kicked.

Since when have set shots from 50 out on an angle tighter than 45 degrees ever been considered sodas? Would be 50% shots for most of the best forwards in the competition and though he went 0.2 for those, it wasn't some fortuitous miracle he did. in fact 0.2 would have been just about as likely as 2.0 imo.

Okay just went back and looked at both on the 'smart replay' and it showed Hawkins was 10.16 from that range over his career (I think that is what those stats are showing), which means he was considerably more likely to miss both than score both and without doing the math, only marginally more likely to score 1.1 than he was to score 0.2
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #164

Cripps was a little quieter in the first half and wasn't able to get his usual clearances because Blicavs did a reasonable job of tagging him.  Cripps flogged Blicavs in the second half but played more as an outside mid.  I thought that he showed his versatility and was just outside my best five players.  Keeping Blicavs to no possessions in the second half is an exceptional effort.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball