Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 14: Northern Blues vs Geelong (Read 11827 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 14: Northern Blues vs Geelong

Reply #15
Good to see Jaksch had plenty of the ball, we really need him to come good

Reply #16
Good to see Jaksch had plenty of the ball, we really need him to come good
Indeed, understatement of 2016 ;)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17
Went to my first Northern Blues game for a couple of years. Stopped going when Carlton stopped caring whether they won or lost. Got there just before quarter time when the game was all over. I have a few observations about the Northern Blues and the future of some of the players based on this one observation. First off, if there is a choice between Dick, Foster, Whiley and Gower, I would take Gower, secondly if there is a choice between Tutt, Buckley and Smith, I would take Buckley and thirdly in regards to Jones, I would say the only thing worse than playing center half forward for Carlton at the moment would be playing center half forward for the Northern Blues. It is a very difficult job and I would keep Jones for the short term because he is making a massive effort. I think Jaksch should be given the chance to develop as a key defender, Wood and Jamison will be gone at the end of the season, and C Curnow looks like he is something. Korcheck needs to learn how to play the game. I think Boekhorst and Skittles are better than this grade of football but I am not sure they have the dedication or the application to go to the next level.

Reply #18
All over and that is the best you can say about it.
Northern Blues 8 - 11 - 59
Geelong 19 - 11 - 125

That isn't very good, but especially not after 3 decent quarters last week. Nor is there a lot t be positive about. I am sure those present will give us their opinions. Just don't expect them to be positive.

DISPOSALS: Dick 29, Wilson 24, Tutt 22, Jaksch 21, Kerbatieh 20, Buckley 19.

You're right, Capt CRASH. Very few positives. The sun was out... that was a positive.

Nice summary from Blue Moon.

Fine day, no wind, bit of a glue pot in the middle which players seemed to want to avoid.

Again we started like the players had had a valium sandwich before the game.

Going to be tough for Josh Fraser to put a positive spin on the game and the efforts of many individuals.

Very, very discouraged by what I saw today. And really, to be ruthless, the only blokes from today that I would hang on to for 2017, for various reasons would be: Buckley and Curnow. Maybe Jones, Jaksch and Boekhorst. The bottom line is we're pretty p1ss poor. There's little point in scratching around for a glimmer of hope then expanding it into something it aint. There are a lot of blokes pulling on the CFC Guernsey who shouldn't be. Billy G had a real chance today but didn't grab it. Did a couple of nice things but gave it back to the opposition way to often... and he had plenty of mates (whose disposal was just awful).

Don't be seduced by the high possession count from Jaksch, he was allowed to roam loose in defence and picked up a lot of easy ball - god knows it was in our defence often enough. He did take a few nice marks... but that is all - Jones is better, at least he attacks the aggot and breaks packs. He took some good grabs today but, bottom line, at very, very best... a depth player.

Gee we got stiffed on the Jaksch/Whiley deal. Whiley is good at getting in; being first to the ball; contesting hard... the problems begin when he gets the ball. He either gets caught with it or doesn't seem to know what to do with it or hangs onto it too long or gives it to the opposition.

Dick? Slow. Sort of bloke who'd be a reliable seconds player for life. Bye bye.

Boekhorst? Again, a few nice things but gave it back to the opposition too often. A few glimpses of hope but sheesh he'd want to improve a great deal to be a dangerous senior player.

Foster? Bye bye.

Wood? Was okay today, nothing spectacular. What has happened to him? Seems to have gone backwards this year.

Curnow? Once the iceblocks were chipped off him (our forwards should have brought a hot water bottle) in the 2nd qtr he was given a run on the ball. Nothing flash. Needs more game time though running around in the NBs might do more harm than good!

Rainbow? Was a liability early but improved gradually to become of little use.

Smith? Continues to give his all and bounce all over the place but rarely hurts the opposition with disposal or on the scoreboard. Did take mark of the day in the last qtr... then, from about 40 out managed to almost hit the behind post!

Tutt? Got plenty, which was good for Geelong because he was quite good at giving back to them, or hanging onto it too long and run around in circles even confusing his team mates, or he'd just bang it onto his boot and pray. Bye bye.

Korcheck? When a bloke who is still learning the caper looks as good or better than many of his team mates... oh dear!

Jammo was obviously rusty but his defensive work was good, some very timely spoils and will be better for the run. Looks to have trimmed a few kilos.

McKasker didn't play.

McKay was roaming around in shorts and a tee shirt... didn't seem to be any sign of a flu! What's really going on there?

I really, really wish I could be more positive but based on what we've dished up in the seconds of recent months (except against Box Hill when they had a good number of their key personnel missing) you'd have to conclude that we must rip the guts out of the list again this year.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19
Boekhurst is a major disappointment.  He should be a regular in the firsts. Another high draft pick that it looks we got horribly wrong.

Reply #20
Looking on the bright side Blue Moon/Baggers/River Rat, the NBs might not be playing well but it is becoming clearer who is going to make it and ain't.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #21
Boekhurst is a major disappointment.  He should be a regular in the firsts. Another high draft pick that it looks we got horribly wrong.

Boekey was holding his place in the seniors until he was injured and would still be a regular if not for that.

Reply #22
You're right, Capt CRASH. Very few positives. The sun was out... that was a positive.

Nice summary from Blue Moon.

Fine day, no wind, bit of a glue pot in the middle which players seemed to want to avoid.

Again we started like the players had had a valium sandwich before the game.

Going to be tough for Josh Fraser to put a positive spin on the game and the efforts of many individuals.

Very, very discouraged by what I saw today. And really, to be ruthless, the only blokes from today that I would hang on to for 2017, for various reasons would be: Buckley and Curnow. Maybe Jones, Jaksch and Boekhorst. The bottom line is we're pretty p1ss poor. There's little point in scratching around for a glimmer of hope then expanding it into something it aint. There are a lot of blokes pulling on the CFC Guernsey who shouldn't be. Billy G had a real chance today but didn't grab it. Did a couple of nice things but gave it back to the opposition way to often... and he had plenty of mates (whose disposal was just awful).

Don't be seduced by the high possession count from Jaksch, he was allowed to roam loose in defence and picked up a lot of easy ball - god knows it was in our defence often enough. He did take a few nice marks... but that is all - Jones is better, at least he attacks the aggot and breaks packs. He took some good grabs today but, bottom line, at very, very best... a depth player.

Gee we got stiffed on the Jaksch/Whiley deal. Whiley is good at getting in; being first to the ball; contesting hard... the problems begin when he gets the ball. He either gets caught with it or doesn't seem to know what to do with it or hangs onto it too long or gives it to the opposition.

Dick? Slow. Sort of bloke who'd be a reliable seconds player for life. Bye bye.

Boekhorst? Again, a few nice things but gave it back to the opposition too often. A few glimpses of hope but sheesh he'd want to improve a great deal to be a dangerous senior player.

Foster? Bye bye.

Wood? Was okay today, nothing spectacular. What has happened to him? Seems to have gone backwards this year.

Curnow? Once the iceblocks were chipped off him (our forwards should have brought a hot water bottle) in the 2nd qtr he was given a run on the ball. Nothing flash. Needs more game time though running around in the NBs might do more harm than good!

Rainbow? Was a liability early but improved gradually to become of little use.

Smith? Continues to give his all and bounce all over the place but rarely hurts the opposition with disposal or on the scoreboard. Did take mark of the day in the last qtr... then, from about 40 out managed to almost hit the behind post!

Tutt? Got plenty, which was good for Geelong because he was quite good at giving back to them, or hanging onto it too long and run around in circles even confusing his team mates, or he'd just bang it onto his boot and pray. Bye bye.

Korcheck? When a bloke who is still learning the caper looks as good or better than many of his team mates... oh dear!

Jammo was obviously rusty but his defensive work was good, some very timely spoils and will be better for the run. Looks to have trimmed a few kilos.

McKasker didn't play.

McKay was roaming around in shorts and a tee shirt... didn't seem to be any sign of a flu! What's really going on there?

I really, really wish I could be more positive but based on what we've dished up in the seconds of recent months (except against Box Hill when they had a good number of their key personnel missing) you'd have to conclude that we must rip the guts out of the list again this year.
Thanks for the report, Baggers. I guess I was ready for it too: I paid too much attention to the game to be easily fooled.

For all the Carlton listed players out there, there just isn't enough being done by enough guys, not enough guys are playing like they have a future and the level of disposal just isn't good enough. Where has the early season spirit gone?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #23
Boekey was holding his place in the seniors until he was injured and would still be a regular if not for that.
Boekhorst is not going to get a spot back unless he starts to really show something. A few cameos just isn't enough.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #24
Peter Jackson VFL 2016
Northern Blues   0.3  3.7  5.9  8.11 (59)
Geelong   5.4  10.6  13.9  19.11 (125)

GOALS:
Northern Blues: Buckley  Jones  Wood  Strachan Tutt  Viojo  Curnow  Whiley
Geelong: Kersten 4 Gregson 2 Bews 2 Parsons 2 McLachlan  House  Lucey  Haintz  Horlin-Smith  Vardy  Atkins  Stanley  Selwood

BEST:
Northern Blues: Wilson Jones Korcheck Buckley Jaksch Strachan
Geelong: Parsons Kersten Horlin-Smith Atkins McLachlan Sexton

Korchek being in the best players is ominous, but Dick NOT being among the best suggests something about our disposals.
I don't know which Jones they are talking about, hence I have not changed the colour.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #25
Peter Jackson VFL 2016

GOALS:
Geelong: Kersten 4 Gregson 2 Bews 2 Parsons 2 McLachlan  House  Lucey  Haintz  Horlin-Smith  Vardy  Atkins  Stanley  Selwood

BEST:

Korchek being in the best players is ominous, but Dick NOT being among the best suggests something about our disposals.
I don't know which Jones they are talking about, hence I have not changed the colour.

The official sites say L. Jones.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
Peter Jackson VFL 2016

GOALS:

BEST:

It'd be Liam Jones, CRASH.

I went to today's game really hoping to see something encouraging, especially from Boekhorst... didn't expect much from Charlie as he's coming off glandular fever but there was enough to see his class. Hopefully Gorringe (his improvement until injured was really something) and McKay can make an appearance next week.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #27

I can't work out the Jaksch thing. In the top 5 for the league goal kicking and gets swung into defense when the team starts sh#tting the bed.

I think he can play but the reason for him not being given an AFL game in 16 rounds is bizarre. In all honesty I think it's complete fecking bullsheet.

Reply #28
Alot has changed since early in the year. I saw this game first time round in Geelong, we won, were outstanding. Jones and Jaksch killed them. Jones seemed to worked hard but it was alot harder this time around. Good to see Jaksch doing well at both ends of the ground this year. We need a 2nd key forward in the seniors. When we've had one we've usually won, when we haven't we've struggled to kick 7-8 goals and lost.

Reply #29
I can't work out the Jaksch thing. In the top 5 for the league goal kicking and gets swung into defense when the team starts sh#tting the bed.

I think he can play but the reason for him not being given an AFL game in 16 rounds is bizarre. In all honesty I think it's complete fecking bullsheet.

I pretty much agree with what Baggers said.

About the only positives I can say about Jaksch today are:

1. he can take a very clean overhead mark when he doesn't have an opponent - reminds me of Matthew Watson in that regard but he doesn't kick anywhere near as well or as accurately although - he does seem to try more.
2. he is much more productive than Mitchell or McCarthy used to be - although you could say the same about Watson
3. he is young and tall