Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 14: Northern Blues vs Geelong (Read 11825 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 14: Northern Blues vs Geelong

Reply #30
Thanks for the reports fellows.

Pity there's not much good news there.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #31
There is one point that is a bit left field I would like to make about the game. In a lot of ways, there is more in yesterday's game for Carlton than Geelong. While Geelong won by 11 goals, their problems relate to their lack of run out of defence. They won so easily because of their mid-field dominance and big forwards, and they were too strong in close and ran too hard for the smaller and younger Northern Blues players. Their problem is Mackie, Enright and Bartels down back, all are very good to champion players. There was nothing in Geelong seconds to deal with this problems, so they are going to have to trade the likes of Vardy, Stanley and others to get half back flankers. At least with Carlton we have the likes of Curnow, McKay, Byrne Cunningham ahe can make a difference, while Buckley, Jaksch, Jones, Korcheck, Graham and Gowers could make a difference. That is one positive to take from the game.

Reply #32
There is one point that is a bit left field I would like to make about the game. In a lot of ways, there is more in yesterday's game for Carlton than Geelong. While Geelong won by 11 goals, their problems relate to their lack of run out of defence. They won so easily because of their mid-field dominance and big forwards, and they were too strong in close and ran too hard for the smaller and younger Northern Blues players. Their problem is Mackie, Enright and Bartels down back, all are very good to champion players. There was nothing in Geelong seconds to deal with this problems, so they are going to have to trade the likes of Vardy, Stanley and others to get half back flankers. At least with Carlton we have the likes of Curnow, McKay, Byrne Cunningham ahe can make a difference, while Buckley, Jaksch, Jones, Korcheck, Graham and Gowers could make a difference. That is one positive to take from the game.

That is a very good point BM.

My experience of watching the NBs in the flesh was the win over Box Hill and there was a lot to like.  However, what I took away from the game was the way the NBs were emulating Bolton's approach and that there are a couple of players who could be competitive in the seniors and several more with the potential to do so.

It was also apparent that there are some pretty good non-Carlton listed NBs but others are barely at VFL standard.  Recruiting a couple of solid VFL standard players to provide leadership and more support for the Carlton listed players would help them achieve their potential.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33

I think you're right.

From early in the 2nd qtr to late in the last it was a pretty even contest. Jaksch loose in defence stopped some of the ease at which they were kicking goals - at one stage I thought it was the Casey game all over again only we didn't have a dominant mid yesterday like we did against Casey - Graham.

Curnow started the game at FF but the delivery to him was so seldom and so awful that he was given time on ball. From memory the only time Curnow had a chance was later in the game when Gowers shot a brilliant left footer to him that was lace out to a good lead. There were a few times when we actually looked good... chain of handpasses out of defence, good kicks to good leads but then it all fell apart on delivery to our forwards. Much like the seniors.

At least these passages of encouraging play gave us the impression that there is a game plan in place; a good game plan. We just aint got the folks to deliver it properly, yet. Our turnovers at times were unbelievable. Big Kreuz was sitting for a while near us and even he couldn't prevent the occasional groan at some of the horrible mistakes.

JEZA - I think I understand your confusion. The club has talked of him needing to be consistent to get a senior gig and on paper he's been just that (at VFL level). There must be another reason for him being on the nose that we're unaware of. Personally, I'd like to see him harder at the contest... seems a mark and kick dude who lacks physical flexibility and mental aggression.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #34

I think you're right.

From early in the 2nd qtr to late in the last it was a pretty even contest. Jaksch loose in defence stopped some of the ease at which they were kicking goals - at one stage I thought it was the Casey game all over again only we didn't have a dominant mid yesterday like we did against Casey - Graham.

Curnow started the game at FF but the delivery to him was so seldom and so awful that he was given time on ball. From memory the only time Curnow had a chance was later in the game when Gowers shot a brilliant left footer to him that was lace out to a good lead. There were a few times when we actually looked good... chain of handpasses out of defence, good kicks to good leads but then it all fell apart on delivery to our forwards. Much like the seniors.

At least these passages of encouraging play gave us the impression that there is a game plan in place; a good game plan. We just aint got the folks to deliver it properly, yet. Our turnovers at times were unbelievable. Big Kreuz was sitting for a while near us and even he couldn't prevent the occasional groan at some of the horrible mistakes.

JEZA - I think I understand your confusion. The club has talked of him needing to be consistent to get a senior gig and on paper he's been just that (at VFL level). There must be another reason for him being on the nose that we're unaware of. Personally, I'd like to see him harder at the contest... seems a mark and kick dude who lacks physical flexibility and mental aggression.

On the latter that's all ok except for the fact it Everitt who's keeping him out if you know what I mean. I prefer the tall key forward personally.

If you don't give these players games, players who continue to kick decent goals at one end of the ground most weeks, or do well when at the end end of the ground when played there, then they end up somewhere else playing good footy for another club. He's barely played a bad game this year. Maybe the TV game a couple of weeks ago. The one game I saw, small sample size I know, his contested pack marking was outstanding. He's about the only forward we have who does lead. Even with all the faults mentioned he's has to be better than Everitt right now, just for the fact he is a key forward and at least kicking goals. Everitt is't one who is exhibiting the same faults and has recently done nothing.

When we've picked 2 tall key forwards most weeks we have won, when we haven't we hardly kick a goal and lose.

Reply #35
On the latter that's all ok except for the fact it Everitt who's keeping him out if you know what I mean. I prefer the tall key forward personally.

If you don't give these players games, players who continue to kick decent goals at one end of the ground most weeks, or do well when at the end end of the ground when played there, then they end up somewhere else playing good footy for another club. He's barely played a bad game this year. Maybe the TV game a couple of weeks ago. The one game I saw, small sample size I know, his contested pack marking was outstanding. He's about the only forward we have who does lead. Even with all the faults mentioned he's has to be better than Everitt right now, just for the fact he is a key forward and at least kicking goals. Everitt is't one who is exhibiting the same faults and has recently done nothing.

When we've picked 2 tall key forwards most weeks we have won, when we haven't we hardly kick a goal and lose.

Everitt hasn't spent much time as a forward lately and Jaksch couldn't play the defensive run with role Everitt is supposed to be playing.

Simon White has Jaksch's spot and, for all his limitations, I prefer White's effort.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #36

It's not really left field, it's accurate and obvious.

I've been saying the same thing about Hawthorn for two or three years. Again this round all their best players were over 30yrs. There are even Dawks insiders I know who have been saying the same thing for a couple of years now. When clubs like Geelong and Hawthorn get sentimental and extend the contracts of those old blokes it is every bit as damaging for their long term future as it was Carlton re-signing someone like Whitnall or Buckley Snr when time had obviously started to pass them by. Already we see that they rely on those players to deliver wins, yet they struggle to perform week after week.

Watch the Dawks manage Hodge through the remainder of the season so they can have him smash opponents in a final. Opposition clubs need to start hurting and targeting the Dawks and Geelongs supplemental players. The old blokes will break down when their workload increases if the young guys are not around to give them a chop out. I watched the Dawks Thursday night and Hodge could not keep up with play by the end of the game, but he had already done the damage early. If Port had targeted two or three of the Dawks support players they would have run over the Dawks in the end, in much the same way that Sydney made the Cats look old and slow. The mistake Port made was trying to take it up to Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis, all Port really did was benefit the team the Dawks play next week.

The youth direction we go in at the NBs is the right direction as long as the player development coaches are up to scratch, in the past our development coaches have been D Grade at best.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37

Some pretty ugly numbers on this page.

Looking at Jaksch, the numbers don't look too bad, except the 0 tackles.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #38

Some pretty ugly numbers on this page.

Looking at Jaksch, the numbers don't look too bad, except the 0 tackles.
...and that's the knock on Jaksch. He's your kick and mark kind of guy. You seldom see him breaking packs or in and under in the contest.

Reply #39
...and that's the knock on Jaksch. He's your kick and mark kind of guy. You seldom see him breaking packs or in and under in the contest.

Well he should be replacing Everitt, so in other-words it's "Like for Like!"
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
Well he should be replacing Everitt, so in other-words it's "Like for Like!"

Now that made me laugh. Though Jaksch is about an inch taller. *grins* (can't use emoticons - ever since updating to Windows 10).

Reply #41
Who's Everitt been running with, his sister?

Reply #42
Who's Everitt been running with, his sister?

Is she available? How tall is she? *wink*