Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 6: Post game Awesomeness (Read 33960 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 6: Post game Awesomeness

Reply #60
From before the first bounce and right throughout the game, they tried to bully us at every opportunity and we didn't flinch once.  We don't have any enforcers as such, but a group who are not intimidated and back each other up.  Don't think we've seen that for a while.

Reply #61
My understanding is that the minute a player takes his eye off the ball and looks at the player, it's pretty much an automatic free. I was also wondering why Rowe wasn't paid.
Simple answer, Shane McInerney, the guy is a disgrace.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #62
A lot of love on here for A Silvagni and deservedly so but gee there was a lot of criticism about his selection pre-season so it's kinda amusing.
Can't believe the boys got the win today and gee after watching the replay WTF is going on with Sydney? A shadow of a team that contested for a flag. Still you're only as good as you opposition and our blokes were relentless. I like the way they're trying to improve their ball movement. Trying not to waste a kick. Work in progress but very exciting to watch.
Hard to pick a bad player today.
Really liking Williamson.
CCurnow. Gee he looks like something.
Doc was awesome today.
Kreuz is a juggernaut
MurphyGibbs solid again
Backline great.
Lot's of injury concerns this week. I hope they don't play the young blokes under duress.
If we only win one more game this year please God let it be next week. Please!

I'll put my hand up.

I didn't understand his recruitment then, and in context of where we currently are, it barely makes sense.

Playing a sterling match in his first game is much more than I expected from him, and I thought it would be a waste of time and position.

I'll concede that I was wrong.

I still don't understand why we needed to do this, instead of a youngster. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #63
From before the first bounce and right throughout the game, they tried to bully us at every opportunity and we didn't flinch once.  We don't have any enforcers as such, but a group who are not intimidated and back each other up.  Don't think we've seen that for a while.

I guess you don't need enforcers if everyone looks after themselves and their team mates.

Casboult had the defenders intimidated but through his attack on the ball rather than thuggery. 

Interestingly, we seemed to have a plan to get stuck into Wright's opponent Mills.  He was tackled, bumped, pushed, elbowed and verbally harassed mercilessly.  In the last quarter he was gang tackled and you could see the tacklers getting into his ear.  When he was released Wright got stuck into him physically and verbally.  That we continued the tactic until the end of the game suggests a long term objective.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #64
I'll put my hand up.

I didn't understand his recruitment then, and in context of where we currently are, it barely makes sense.

Playing a sterling match in his first game is much more than I expected from him, and I thought it would be a waste of time and position.

A youngster would not have the strength and experience to do what ASOS did yesterday. A youngster would not have been able to stand Buddy for long periods like ASOS. A youngster would not have been close to BOG.  There's your answer.

Reply #65
I guess you don't need enforcers if everyone looks after themselves and their team mates.

Casboult had the defenders intimidated but through his attack on the ball rather than thuggery. 

Interestingly, we seemed to have a plan to get stuck into Wright's opponent Mills.  He was tackled, bumped, pushed, elbowed and verbally harassed mercilessly.  In the last quarter he was gang tackled and you could see the tacklers getting into his ear.  When he was released Wright got stuck into him physically and verbally.  That we continued the tactic until the end of the game suggests a long term objective.

Good to hear that our unsociability index is on the rise. Putting opposition players on their asses, legally of course, is always good for morale.????
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #66
A youngster would not have the strength and experience to do what ASOS did yesterday. A youngster would not have been able to stand Buddy for long periods like ASOS. A youngster would not have been close to BOG.  There's your answer.
I could not believe Alex's closing speed today, I never knew he was that quick.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #67
I'll put my hand up.

Thry, we have bought in a lot of youngsters.

Alex was bought in to help with their development by supplying some experience and muscle.
He did a superb job on Franklin and we may well have lost that game if Buddy had been able to play at his best.

I reckon Alex has already earn't his spot on the rookie list.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #68
I'll put my hand up.

I can have a stab....

Obviously someone identified in Silvagni the very characteristics he displayed yesterday.

Now if you're  one of our youngsters watching how he played and the effort he gave and the very genuine respect he received from some of the senior players after the game...what have you learned?

You've learned performance and effort will get you a call-up no matter what stage of your career you're at and you've learned that if you work hard and stick to your task you'll earn respect.

Watching Silvagni yesterday was a probably a much more valuable learning experience for some of them than being thrashed by Port Adelaide the week before.

It's why that balance of senior and younger players is important...as long as you have the right type of senior player.

Reply #69
I could not believe Alex's closing speed today, I never knew he was that quick.

I barely watched him at Freo, so I also had no idea.

It's not a knock on the kids. You have to be realistic about what they can and can't do. That chase down in the goal square (with Willo) was team lifting stuff.

Reply #70
I'll put my hand up.

This is where i'm at with the whole situation.

No doubt he played a blinder. But long term, if we continue to play him, blokes like Macreadie will be left out because of it. Is that what we really want?
Our backline is already the most experienced part of our team with Simpson and Rowe marshalling the troops, B+F winner Docherty playing beyond his years and steady partners in crime Marchbank and Plowman looking settled. A. Silvagni is not really required down there for experience.

As best i can tell he was recruited simply to play on Buddy. Club put up a video during the week showing he's done it before. What now?

Reply #71
It's why that balance of senior and younger players is important...as long as you have the right type of senior player.

I'm an advocate of this, and certainly the right type of player which COS appears to be. But we need a COS for the forwardline, not the backline. The backline is pretty solid already.
Could we not have recruited a 'COS forward equivalent' instead?

Reply #72
I barely watched him at Freo, so I also had no idea.

It's not a knock on the kids. You have to be realistic about what they can and can't do. That chase down in the goal square (with Willo) was team lifting stuff.
Pauly he had the of the crowd around me in a frenzy every time he did something. We stood and clapped every one of the efforts. It was evident too his teams appreciated the efforts also, they came from all parts of the ground to pat him on the head.
Just on the point of camaraderie, it was at a level Ive not seen at our club in a long time yesterday. Every big effort or special play was met with encouragement from many players coming in from everywhere, young and old. I was very pleased indeed to see this.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #73
I'm an advocate of this, and certainly the right type of player which COS appears to be. But we need a COS for the forwardline, not the backline. The backline is pretty solid already.
Could we not have recruited a 'COS forward equivalent' instead?
Listening to the various post match pressers, it seems he is affectionately known around the club ASOS.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #74
If what Bolton said last week is true, about players getting picked on form, then Alex will be first picked next week. You cannot have both a "picked on form" and a "play the kids" policy. The kids will not always be in form, and will not always be able to do the job.