Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 7: pre game protestations Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 42627 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 7: pre game protestations Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #45
Smedts was handy in that Smedts type of way...nothing too outlandish about the way he plays and is very safe with his ball use usually but every game gets caught at least once trying to sell candy to get round players and needs to correct that fault as he doesnt have the pace or guile, reckon he will hold his spot...

I like Smedts as a player, but he was a little subdued in this game, and I think in general terms he's trying to get match fitness and trying to grok with a new club.

His disposal is usually pretty good, and he makes good decisions. But he needs to bulk up.

Reply #46
I like Smedts as a player, but he was a little subdued in this game, and I think in general terms he's trying to get match fitness and trying to grok with a new club.

His disposal is usually pretty good, and he makes good decisions. But he needs to bulk up.
[/quot

Agree. He does have genuine skill but is still a little rusty. He looks as if he's one of those body types that just doesn't bulk up (eg Simmo).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #47

Agree. He does have genuine skill but is still a little rusty. He looks as if he's one of those body types that just doesn't bulk up (eg Simmo).

Yes, could well be one of those Simmo / skinny Lappin types. As I'm sure you'd agree, the rustiness is understandable, given he's played 14 games in total for seasons 14,15,16,17.

Reply #48

Grok!  You been reading  antique sci fi ?

Reply #49

Agree on the bulking up, has thinnish arms...something about Smedts style that I like too, very uncomplicated player....wasnt a fan of recruiting him but have warmed to him
as a footballer and reckon he was unlucky to be dropped initially..

Reply #50
Agree on the bulking up, has thinnish arms...something about Smedts style that I like too, very uncomplicated player....wasnt a fan of recruiting him but have warmed to him

As long as he can stay on the park, I think that Smedts will be useful player.  Given how many games he's missed in the three years or so that he's been on a list, I expect that it may take him a while to really hit his straps - not that he isn't deserving of a spot in the 22 now.

Another factor is that we need players of that age to address our list's skewed demographics from years of poor draft results.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #51
After 15 kicks, 11 marks and 3 goals in the VFL Saturday Kerr is the man I'd put in if SOJ is out.

Reply #53
After 15 kicks, 11 marks and 3 goals in the VFL Saturday Kerr is the man I'd put in if SOJ is out.

He looked worth a go to me too Jim. Was very composed IMO. That would be interesting if he leap frogs  both Jaksch and Jones into the seniors.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #54

Yes, I like that word "uncomplicated" - good word for him IMO.

When you get taken at pick 15 by Stephen Wells from Geelong, plus factoring what I've seen with my own eyes, I'd say he's well worth persevering with. Just stay on the park, please.

Reply #55

Hard to argue with those stats and like I have said reckon the lad will be a very good player and if he plays it would be great
but I'd just like to keep him on ice for a few more games in the NB's , same with Harry Mac...

Reply #56
Yes, I like that word "uncomplicated" - good word for him IMO.

When you get taken at pick 15 by Stephen Wells from Geelong, plus factoring what I've seen with my own eyes, I'd say he's well worth persevering with. Just stay on the park, please.

Good point Paul about Pick 15, thats early and Wells knows his onions when it comes to recruiting...

Reply #57

Smedts is decent.

Will add some depth.

Tuohy left as an established 27 year old + 2nd round pick
Smedts came as a rusty 24 year old. + 1st round pick

Will get better as he remains injury free he has natural talent.

Reply #58
He looked worth a go to me too Jim. Was very composed IMO. That would be interesting if he leap frogs  both Jaksch and Jones into the seniors.

Not sure it so much about leapfrogging, it's who he might replace, SOJ, if he is indeed out. Think he replaces him perfectly as he can be a 2nd or 3rd tall. If, say, Casboult was out the first player you'd play in his role is Jones given the like for like. SOJ's scans came up clear so he is still some chance to come up on the weekend although you'd think he'd be a week out at least.

Reply #59
Not sure it so much about leapfrogging, it's who he might replace, SOJ, if he is indeed out. Think he replaces him perfectly as he can be a 2nd or 3rd tall. If, say, Casboult was out the first player you'd play in his role is Jones given the like for like. SOJ's scans came up clear so he is still some chance to come up on the weekend although you'd think he'd be a week out at least.

I don't think that Kerr is a like for like replacement for SOJ.  Kerr is a genuine key forward with marking strength his main attribute.  SOJ is a more versatile player who can take a mark, play as a crumbing forward or have a run in the midfield or defence.  Daisy is probably a better like for like replacement for SOJ.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball