Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 16: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 30411 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 16: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #75
Kerridge was good today just made a couple of howlers.

No where near as bad as everyone has made him out to be.

The two injuries did more to decide the match than anything else.

That and some generous umpiring in front of Melbourne's goal

Too bad they didn't pay jack's mark.
35 possessions to Kerridge in an excellent effort. He made 3 mistakes, maybe 4 if you're super-critical. That means he had 31 useful or more than useful possessions. That is pretty good. His work in shutting down a man while getting plenty of ball was a real positive.

For all the mistakes and missed opportunities, it was the injuries to Cripps and White that made the difference. That and the having so many kids. A lot of guys were really struggling for condition in that last few minutes. That won't be the case after a few more pre-seasons. Then WE will have the extra yard of pace at the critical moments.

The umpiring: probably the less said about that the better. At half time I shouted "2 goals to Melbourne, 5 to the Umpires", only to be abused and accosted by some Melbourne supporters. Must have hit a nerve.

Gussy did a great job shutting down Garlett, but the goals really hurt. Frees. And Gussy's mistake by handballing forward when there were 2 Blues behind him was crucial. But he will learn.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #76
Agreed, the Dees had a free given their way in almost identical circumstances.

A clear free to Simmo for holding yet nada....

And yes, it would have almost certainly been a goal to us.

This is what I don't get.  I know I'm totally biased but ... 

Week after week the 50/50's are paid against us in front of goal but crucial 'in play' decision are play on.  Probably more relevant to compare Garlett and McDonald's frees to Gary Rohan's mark in the dying seconds against Essendon.  I mean, he was caught behind and literally picked up the guy and threw him aside.

My mate calls it the "halo effect". Umpires, being human, cannot NOT be swayed by the wishes of the crowd and the zeitgeist (like cleavage - guys cannot NOT look). The whole world wants a fairytale Footscray premiership?  Sure, let's make it so.

Not that I'm letting the umps spoil my appreciation of the boys' efforts yesterday.  We gave it our all.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #77
35 possessions to Kerridge in an excellent effort. He made 3 mistakes, maybe 4 if you're super-critical. That means he had 31 useful or more than useful possessions. That is pretty good. His work in shutting down a man while getting plenty of ball was a real positive.

For all the mistakes and missed opportunities, it was the injuries to Cripps and White that made the difference. That and the having so many kids. A lot of guys were really struggling for condition in that last few minutes. That won't be the case after a few more pre-seasons. Then WE will have the extra yard of pace at the critical moments.

The umpiring: probably the less said about that the better. At half time I shouted "2 goals to Melbourne, 5 to the Umpires", only to be abused and accosted by some Melbourne supporters. Must have hit a nerve.

Gussy did a great job shutting down Garlett, but the goals really hurt. Frees. And Gussy's mistake by handballing forward when there were 2 Blues behind him was crucial. But he will learn.

Sorry, I didn't rate Kerridge as high as others in yesterday's game. High numbers which shows you the guys works. That's a tick. Otherwise, his fumbly hands for a midfielder cost us hugely on a number of occasions. You watch his next game. Fumbly McFumbles.

Reply #78
Sorry, I didn't rate Kerridge as high as others in yesterday's game. High numbers which shows you the guys works. That's a tick. Otherwise, his fumbly hands for a midfielder cost us hugely on a number of occasions. You watch his next game. Fumbly McFumbles.

I thought Simpson was just as bad.
Cost us a number of times. Including goals.

Reply #79
The umpiring was ordinary but it went both ways.
Garlett's early free and goal against Sheehan was as soft as butter but later in the game Docherty clearly tackled Lewis high yet Lewis was called for holding the ball.
I'm not certain how a touched ball is judged in a marking contest but in the spirit of the game Silvagni's was a mark all day long.
Ultimately our own skill errors cost us the game, a couple of glaring ones which led directly to goals but many others in general play that lost us the run of the ball and had us caught out of position.
Our skills just aren't up to what's required at the top level and we'll need to hit the draft and make some good trades until we can eliminate the main culprits, we all know who they are.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #80
I thought Kerridge played about the best that Kerridge could play.
However, like my comments about Casboult, he simply isn't good enough. Stop gap at best.

Kerridge tried his guts out and AFL App suggests that he run 17km yesterday, the most of anyone on the ground.
He ran 3km at top speed, again, the most of anyone on the ground.
There were a few 15-16kms and 2+kms but he maxed out.

Yes, he will always make some howlers, but if you were given the option pre-game of Kerridge having 20 touches or 35 touches (=most) you'd probably take the 35.

Just on Casboult, i thought it played well. Probably the most CM's i've seen him take in a game. Still, failed to really make a difference on the scoreboard. 1.2 was his output. 3.0 wins us the match. But as others will point out, others missed goals too. This is true. But he misses them every week!

Contrast to someone like Jack Silvagni.
Only got the ball 8 times. Managed to kick 3 goals straight.

All in all, the game is a step in the right direction. It highlighted a few things we already knew, we're not there yet.

Reply #81
I thought Kerridge played about the best that Kerridge could play.
However, like my comments about Casboult, he simply isn't good enough. Stop gap at best.

Kerridge tried his guts out and AFL App suggests that he run 17km yesterday, the most of anyone on the ground.
He ran 3km at top speed, again, the most of anyone on the ground.
There were a few 15-16kms and 2+kms but he maxed out.

Yes, he will always make some howlers, but if you were given the option pre-game of Kerridge having 20 touches or 35 touches (=most) you'd probably take the 35.

Just on Casboult, i thought it played well. Probably the most CM's i've seen him take in a game. Still, failed to really make a difference on the scoreboard. 1.2 was his output. 3.0 wins us the match. But as others will point out, others missed goals too. This is true. But he misses them every week!

All in all, the game is a step in the right direction. It highlighted a few things we already knew, we're not there yet.

Yeah good assessment on Kerridge, and good stats on him.

As I said in my post, he works hard, that is clear.

What is also clear is he ain't really up to the top level.

Reply #82
On Kerridge. The shot at goal and major miss - that's a between the ears issue - needs to develop a better routine...

Charlie C. Son, if you take a mark anywhere inside 50. Stop go back and IF, and unless, the give off is a 200% no brainer, TAKE THE SHOT!!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #84
We should have won that game... this one hurt.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #85
We should have won that game... this one hurt.

If Cripps had stayed on the ground we would have, it's just the luck of the draw.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #86
With half a dozen or more small, silly but costly mistakes, it was a disappointing loss.

They had 3 out, we had Ed Curnow out and Cripps and White go down during the game. The fact that we were still able to match it with them and nearly get the win I do find very encouraging.

I thought Kreuzer was our best by a mile. The leadership group as they have for most games this year were all among the best players for us.

It was a nice return for Sammo with 16 touches, 9 tackles and a ripper goal.

Liam Jones was again solid, Plowman was good too.

Up front, Charlie and SOS were both good and will both be very damaging when our F50 entries get a lot better !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #87
Listenting to Brian Taylor, a clear hater of Carlton commentate, and be allowed to be SOOOO one eyed, is both embarrassing for him and annoying for the Carlton viewer, probably any footy lover. I have never ever rated his calling anyway!

AMEN!!!  There was a passage where MFC put 2 or 3 kicks together on the run, and he lost his crap, like it was the greatest thing ever to happen on a footy field.  Then, we pull off a few really good pieces of play (a Charlie grab, a Levi grab, SPS goal, some link up thru the middle) and get about a 10th of the reaction.

Even started trying to hose down the Liam Jones hype, by saying "its only 4 games" - this is the same guy who annoited Jake Stringer President of the World after a handful of games

Reply #88

I love your comparison.

Jack Silvagni has kicked 15.14 for the year (most of those misses were from set shots - many of them very gettable). He also hoiked one out on the full which you didn't mention.

Cas has kicked 23.13 for the year. So a full 30% better at shooting for goal than Jack.

Cas is also number 1 in the league for contested marks. Yep - number 1. Yet he's in your view a "stop gap"?

If we lost him to free agency it would be an unmitigated disaster.

I don't get your hatred of Casboult. I had him in our best 2 or 3 players yesterday and top 5 in our B&F.

Reply #89
I love your comparison.

Jack Silvagni has kicked 15.14 for the year (most of those misses were from set shots - many of them very gettable). He also hoiked one out on the full which you didn't mention.

Cas has kicked 23.13 for the year. So a full 30% better at shooting for goal than Jack.

Cas is also number 1 in the league for contested marks. Yep - number 1. Yet he's in your view a "stop gap"?

If we lost him to free agency it would be an unmitigated disaster.

I don't get your hatred of Casboult. I had him in our best 2 or 3 players yesterday and top 5 in our B&F.

How many of Meats shots have failed to score, either OOB or fell short?
The Force Awakens!