Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 22: Post Game Peace? Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 37520 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 22: Post Game Peace? Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #136
Laugh all you like but clearly the coaches of all 18 clubs agree with me.

Coach's award:

Round 21 Leaderboard

104 Dustin Martin (Rich)
99 Patrick Dangerfield (Geel)
69 Tom Mitchell (Haw)
69 Rory Sloane (Adel)
67 Zach Merrett (Ess)
66 Clayton Oliver (Melb)
66 Dayne Zorko (BL)
65 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
65 Josh Kelly (GWS)
61 Gary Ablett (GC)
61 Joel Selwood (Geel)

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #137
Laugh all you like but clearly the coaches of all 18 clubs agree with me.

Coach's award:

Round 21 Leaderboard

104 Dustin Martin (Rich)
99 Patrick Dangerfield (Geel)
69 Tom Mitchell (Haw)
69 Rory Sloane (Adel)
67 Zach Merrett (Ess)
66 Clayton Oliver (Melb)
66 Dayne Zorko (BL)
65 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
65 Josh Kelly (GWS)
61 Gary Ablett (GC)
61 Joel Selwood (Geel)

How many of these has Mitchell won?
Winners

2016 - Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong)
2015 - Daniel Hannebery (Sydney)
2014 - Robbie Gray (Port Adelaide)
2013 - Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood)
2012 - Trent Cotchin (Richmond)
2011 - Marc Murphy (Carlton)
2010 - Dane Swan (Collingwood)
2009 - Gary Ablett (Geelong)
2008 - Gary Ablett (Geelong)
2007 - Gary Ablett (Geelong)
2006 - Simon Goodwin (Adelaide) & Adam Goodes (Sydney)
2005 - Barry Hall (Sydney)
2004 - Warren Tredrea (Port Adelaide)
2003 - Nathan Buckley (Collingwood)

FWIW, Murphy has 55 votes for the season.
Murphy has votes in 14/21 games this season.
Mitchell has votes in 12/21 games.

Murphy had more total votes than Mitchell from R3-R14.

Some stats NOT from the coaches votes.

Murphy has more kicks, marks, goals, inside 50's and goal assists....and less clangers than Mitchell. And he has 4 less wins than Mitchell making it harder to get votes. (Not many players from losing teams get top votes), Murphy is averaging 30 touches a game.

Conversely, Mitchell has more handballs, disposals, rebound 50's, clearances and tackles. Mitchell is averaging 36 a game.

To me, that suggests Murphy is getting more of the ball forward of centre and Mitchell is getting more of the ball in the back half, including a lot more 1-2 handballs. Murphy also has a slightly better Disposal Efficiency despite Mitchell preferring to handball first, kick second.

Half the player?

Reply #138
Murphy was a gun 6 years ago alongside a prime Judd.

In 2017 Mitchell is by far the better player.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #139

But the coaches had voted him in the best more times than Mitchell has?

Reply #140

I assume we're talking about Sam Mitchell......because he actually hurt sides with his posessions, unlike Tom.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #141
Murphy isn't half the player Tom Mitchell is.

Mitchell put zero effort into stopping Murphy. You let Murphy loose like that we're 10 times more likely to win. And win we did. As Collingwood did when Mitchell had 50 pos. As Geelong did when he had 43. GC won when he had 39. Hawks supporters I know are starting to worry. Mitchell combined with Langford.... there's not a lot of classy ball movement there. Unless it's Burgoyne who is 35 there's little to hurt the opposition through the midfield.

He's not hurting opposition but his opponent is running loose on the outside somewhere.

Dangerfield and Martin have twice the inside 50s he has, triple the goals and double the goal assists. He's good at what he does but ranking him based on the possession column of the stat sheet I think is misleading.

Reply #142
Mitchell put zero effort into stopping Murphy. You let Murphy loose like that we're 10 times more likely to win. And win we did. As Collingwood did when Mitchell had 50 pos. As Geelong did when he had 43. GC won when he had 39. Hawks supporters I know are starting to worry. Mitchell combined with Langford.... there's not a lot of classy ball movement there. Unless it's Burgoyne who is 35 there's little to hurt the opposition through the midfield.

He's not hurting opposition but his opponent is running loose on the outside somewhere.

Dangerfield and Martin have twice the inside 50s he has, triple the goals and double the goal assists. He's good at what he does but ranking him based on the possession column of the stat sheet I think is misleading.
The way I see his game is that his possessions free/set up the outside runners.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #143
Mitchell is a huge chance to win the Brownlow this year, but if he does it will be a bit like Libba and Priddis, not to mention Woefulwodin, where the best player in the comp doesn't win it.

Through sheer leather poisoning, he just might win the award, but the reality is he has little to no impact on a lot of his games. Tom was given a free run against us and when you get 40 touches you have to be the standout player on the ground, you have 30% more football than 90% of players on the ground. Everytime Tom had the ball I wasn't overly concerned. I wasn't happy a Hawthorn player had it, but I wasn't worried.
When we played Brisbane, every time Zorko was near it I was screaming at my screen.

He might win a Brownlow Tom, but I don't think he is in the best 10 players in the comp
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #144
Murphy has no impact with his 20 metre sideway kicks. He just plays it safe now, it's why he's a crap captain.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #145
Murphy has no impact with his 20 metre sideway kicks. He just plays it safe now, it's why he's a crap captain.

Murphy is a master at controlling the tempo of the game in accordance with Bolton's requirements.  That's why Bolton comments on his leadership, as well as that of Gibbs, Docherty and Simpson.  They are implementing the gameplan, not thrashing around like a frog in a blender  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #146
Murphy - 8194 Metres gained (33rd in AFL, 3rd in Club)
Mitchell - 6624 Metres gained (74th)
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #147
Murphy - 8194 Metres gained (33rd in AFL, 3rd in Club)
Mitchell - 6624 Metres gained (74th)

Well most of Mitchell's disposals are handballs, Murphy plays outside and on his pay packet should be one of the best in the comp.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #148
Murphy is a master at controlling the tempo of the game in accordance with Bolton's requirements.  That's why Bolton comments on his leadership, as well as that of Gibbs, Docherty and Simpson.  They are implementing the gameplan, not thrashing around like a frog in a blender  :)

Master of making us play slow crap football hence why we're down the bottom and can't score.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #149
Murphy has no impact with his 20 metre sideway kicks.

Well most of Mitchell's disposals are handballs,

Murphy isn't half the player Tom Mitchell is.

lololololol
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset