Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 63011 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #135
Yes I noticed that Lods. There were extended periods where nobody seemed to know who would ruck. That buggers up any stoppage strategy we may have had. We missed Bam Bam in this respect.
I kept thinking we looked disorganised. I suspect this applies to the series of events over the past 8 days, not just today.

Amateur hour is what we saw today from the so called (non playing) brains trust....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #136
We won 6 games last year and lost 2 out of our best 4 players.   We can't afford to have anyone out and need to unearth a few midfielders.
Need to unearth some new selectors and a coach who can move with the game and sense momentum swings, appreciate we lost Docherty, MK and Gibbs traded but we didnt learn much from the corresponding game last year.. players like Lyons, Lynch did the damage and we failed to learn anything.
We had one part time ruckman and our Fullback rucking  vs a bloke who is nearly 7 foot, no wonder we struggled.....

Reply #137
Most teams have a Murphy type player.

None of them are made captain.

Reply #138
i watched the game, what are you smoking fella?

The Captain who shouldn't be...

Your comments seem to contradict that you watched the game.

Nobody who had watched the game could label Murphy's game lazy, and a lot of his ineffectiveness was because he was winning football inside, despite our pathetic ruck setup, and disposing continually while under pressure to team-mates who wouldn't spread from the contest. I comparison his game was about as statistically effective as Cripps!

If you are focussed on Murphy after that game, you are just providing smokescreens and excuses for many others who have far more to answer for!

Who else do you think needs a rocket?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #139
What the screwk was that?
How can we still be so crapt?
No we can't expect to turn things 180 degrees in one off season as someone earlier postulated, but god help us, we shouldn't be still putting in performances like that. There was no sign of improvement, in fact there were signs of going backwards. And screwk the plaudits about last weeks game where we blew a 5 goal lead to be beaten by 5 goals, screwk that crapt. No more. Not good enough.
That was putrid. I almost cried.
I don't know if I have ever seen a worse collective effort from a team.
I love Murph, but seriously, how can anyone defend his effort today. 30 possessions? Did someone in the last quarter call out 42% efficiency? Worst 30 possession game in the history of 30 possession games.
I guess I'll just hope my kid doesnt ask how Carlton went tomorrow. It's getting harder to keep him blue.

Reply #140

Nobody who had watched the game could label Murphy's game lazy, and a lot of his ineffectiveness was because he was winning football inside, despite our pathetic ruck setup, and disposing continually while under pressure to team-mates who wouldn't spread from the contest.

If you are focussed on Murphy after that game, you are just providing smokescreens and excuses for many others who have far more to answer for!

Sorry to piss on your parade, but the word "lazy" was used metaphorically..... :o

Murphy is a shadow of his former self. Sorry if you can't see that.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #141
ps LP, see Deags' comments above. QED.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #142

Nobody who had watched the game could label Murphy's game lazy, and a lot of his ineffectiveness was because he was winning football inside, despite our pathetic ruck setup, and disposing continually while under pressure to team-mates who wouldn't spread from the contest.

I think you look at the stats sheet a bit too much.

He did nothing at all meaningful.

Reply #143
Polson at least tried to get involved, and SOS has jagged one in Fisher.

Is there a weaker AFL captain than Murphy?

Reply #144

Nobody who had watched the game could label Murphy's game lazy, and a lot of his ineffectiveness was because he was winning football inside, despite our pathetic ruck setup, and disposing continually while under pressure to team-mates who wouldn't spread from the contest. I comparison his game was about as statistically effective as Cripps!

I agree, I thought that Murphy was very good today along with Cripps and Petrevski-Seton, you could throw Ed Curnow in as well but gee his foot skills are scrappy, the one time he spotted someone up Lamb fluffed the shot.
Considering we were copping a hiding in the ruck our midfield did pretty well, but our front half is our Achilles heel and our back six is top heavy, add to that our poor skills and you have a bottom four side again I'm afraid.
Weitering, Byrne, Murphy, Thomas and Petrevski-Seton all have good foot skills but after that you struggle, we just cough it up far too much.  
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #145
FFS we have so many more and bigger problems than Murphy, he was in our best players again today

Reply #146
Need to unearth some new selectors and a coach who can move with the game and sense momentum swings, appreciate we lost Docherty, MK and Gibbs traded but we didnt learn much from the corresponding game last year.. players like Lyons, Lynch did the damage and we failed to learn anything.
We had one part time ruckman and our Fullback rucking  vs a bloke who is nearly 7 foot, no wonder we struggled.....

With Lobbe out and Phillips still a game or 2 away we didn't have any options if you really think about it.  
De Koning would have got slaughtered by Witts.  

Maybe we should have played McKay forward and Levi in the ruck, but we still would have conceded the ruck.

Doc and Gibbs are massive and you can't replace them straight away.

The players selected got enough of the ball.   We won the possession count and the inside 50's

Our ball movement inside 50 and our forward lines lack of movement where horrid today.

Reply #147
ps LP, see Deags' comments above. QED.

ps Flyboy, see Jack Burton's comments above.

You are lost in cause and effect, you looking at one of the symptoms of the shizen ruck setup and game plan, then labelling it as the cause.

It's the same for Weitering and Jones, people are looking for someone to blame and the people on the end of the problem are the easy ones to blame.

Let me ask you this, does Cripps get a pass mark, 24 possessions at a DE of 58%, from only 82% game time!

I think you look at the stats sheet a bit too much.

He did nothing at all meaningful.

The stat sheet tells me both Cripps and Murphy were rubbish, if it's moneyball the stats matter.

I'm saying the game has both cause and effect, and many supporters confuse the effects as the cause.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #148
If w are going to effectively concede the ruck, let's do it by putting an extra midfielder in and forget even contesting the ball up.
Leave Levi forward. He is a waste of space wherever he plays, at least if he is forward, he might take 5 marks and kick 1 goal.
I made comment about Murphy playing like a spud today, I'm not however saying he is our problem. He is far from it. There were 10-12 players just as bad or worse, hence the result.

Reply #149
I agree, I thought that Murphy was very good today along with Cripps and Petrevski-Seton, you could throw Ed Curnow in as well but gee his foot skills are scrappy, the one time he spotted someone up Lamb fluffed the shot.
Considering we were copping a hiding in the ruck our midfield did pretty well, but our front half is our Achilles heel and our back six is top heavy, add to that our poor skills and you have a bottom four side again I'm afraid.
Weitering, Byrne, Murphy, Thomas and Petrevski-Seton all have good foot skills but after that you struggle, we just cough it up far too much.

Byrne butchers the footy at times when he panics, SPS won the ball ok but undercooks the footy leaving his teammates picking up half volleys, Murphy's disposal was horrific and more likely to hit a low flying plane than another player.
Thomas does use the ball ok but at his age doesnt get enough of it and Weitering these days is a shadow of the player he was in his first year when he did use the ball well, he is now slow timid and often under pressure when he kicks the ball... an example was when forward he had open space and could run further but didnt have the confidence and kicked the ball too early when he could have been more creative...