Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 63008 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #345
I'm usually very optimistic about our players, but I cannot defend him any longer, and I find it a mystery as to how he has survived this long!

I foresee the risk that the old Carlton will surface, and that potential coach killer will surface undoing BB if he hasn't already! In the old Carlton, there will be people positioning themselves to pull the trigger and that player could be the loaded gun!

I don't want that to happen, and I don't want the negative impact that something like that will have affecting our future talent, but if it happens it will affect them you can be sure of that!

If the old Carlton returns and the sh1te does go down, who is the next coach, SOS?

See you anger, is focussed on Casboult. I understand that frustration. However, he is who is he is and we have enough of a sample to suggest that is never going to change.

You suggest he might be a coach killer. I believe the coach has had more than enough opportunity to get rid of him. He has been re-signed under his watch, so he wears the responsibility of the output.

Bolton wanted him on the list (because no readymade alternative exists IMO) which means SOS and Macca couldn't get one.

Your anger should be focussed on one of those 3. They are the ones that pick him, sign him and play him. Casboult is never going to be fev, stop expecting him to be. You don't like him being on the list, or in the side, direct your anger at the ones that make that happen.

Reply #346
Casboult is never going to be fev, stop expecting him to be.

How can I expect him to be a Fev if I think he is incapable of it?

My argument is he is wasting our time, by removing development games from a youthful replacement, and potentially even teaching the kids bad habits along the way!

I won't get into the debate about his capacity to kill the coach, I appreciate any player has that capacity, some just seem more likely to deliver on it than others!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #347

My argument is he is wasting our time, by removing development games from a youthful replacement, and potentially even teaching the kids bad habits along the way!

I won't get into the debate about his capacity to kill the coach, I appreciate any player has that capacity, some just seem more likely to deliver on it than others!

What you are suggesting is murder....or at least manslaughter.
I'm suggesting for Bolton it is coaching suicide.

Reply #348
I'm usually very optimistic about our players, but I cannot defend him any longer, and I find it a mystery as to how he has survived this long!

I foresee the risk that the old Carlton will surface, and that potential coach killer will surface undoing BB if he hasn't already! In the old Carlton, there will be people positioning themselves to pull the trigger and that player could be the loaded gun!

I don't want that to happen, and I don't want the negative impact that something like that will have affecting our future talent, but if it happens it will affect them you can be sure of that!

If the old Carlton returns and the sh1te does go down, who is the next coach, SOS?

You talking about Murphy here?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #349

While he's out best forward and plays the forward/ruck role decently he'll be playing. Once McKay or Kerr come through they will eventually take his role, until then, Levi fills the role nicely enough.  Did a good job backing up Kreuzer as well as kicking 34 goals. Not a b ad result for someone from round 3 of a rookie draft. Don't know what you expected. You've hated him ever since we replaced your love child Hampson in his current role. Hurt like hell when we traded Hammer didn't it. Everyone knows that. Admit it and you'll feel so much better about Levi.

Reply #350
Levi kicked 5 behinds in that fateful game against GC (R22, 2012). After which the club kicked Ratten's behind. There was a rumour I read somewhere that Ratten confronted Levi after the match and told him his time at Carlton was up.

Anyway, where were we ? Ah yes, Levi, yay or nay ?

zzzzzzz........................

Reply #351
Casboult is a 10 min a quarter ruckman who also plays as a forward pocket along the lines of Josh Jenkins.....he was out of his depth vs a monster like Witts, Kruezer cant handle Witts that well so I dont/didnt expect Casboult to work wonders either. It left Charlie Curnow one out vs a good full back in May and the rest of their tall backs like Thompson. It was more damaging what was happening to Curnow than worrying what Casboult was or wasnt doing...Curnow is our ace in the pack and we left him one out with no support down forward vs a dirty unit like May. Mckay should have played to support Curnow more than anything else, the ruck was a lost cause anyway but another tall body down forward would have helped Charlie more and given us more opportunities to score from both marks and crumbing.

The MC/selectors, Bolton all should take the blame for the ludicrous selection of Poulsen and omission of McKay......you cant judge or criticise Casboult, we lost that game the moment the final team was announced..

Reply #352
Agree with all of this 100%

Reply #353
Casboult is a 10 min a quarter ruckman who also plays as a forward pocket along the lines of Josh Jenkins.....he was out of his depth vs a monster like Witts, Kruezer cant handle Witts that well so I dont/didnt expect Casboult to work wonders either. It left Charlie Curnow one out vs a good full back in May and the rest of their tall backs like Thompson. It was more damaging what was happening to Curnow than worrying what Casboult was or wasnt doing...Curnow is our ace in the pack and we left him one out with no support down forward vs a dirty unit like May. Mckay should have played to support Curnow more than anything else, the ruck was a lost cause anyway but another tall body down forward would have helped Charlie more and given us more opportunities to score from both marks and crumbing.

The MC/selectors, Bolton all should take the blame for the ludicrous selection of Poulsen and omission of McKay......you cant judge or criticise Casboult, we lost that game the moment the final team was announced..
I have absolutely no idea what they were thinking when Kreuzer was out.

Reply #354
I have absolutely no idea what they were thinking when Kreuzer was out.

Maybe it went something like this.
Our collective team height is ...cms. That means we're too tall.
We've decided to maximally reduce it. What's the solution?
Huh what's that?  Kruez out Polson in. Good idea - done deal.

Joking of course. But I'm befuddled  :-\
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #355

There endeth the lesson.

Given how little I expected from Casboult I was surprised at how little it actually hurt us. 

It pains me to say it, because I love Kreuzer,  but wouldn't it be nice to have a ruckman who can play a couple of full seasons back to back in top form without breaking down?

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #356

Makes a lot of sense to me.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #357
It was more damaging what was happening to Curnow than worrying what Casboult was or wasnt doing...Curnow is our ace in the pack and we left him one out with no support down forward vs a dirty unit like May. Mckay should have played to support Curnow more than anything else, the ruck was a lost cause anyway but another tall body down forward would have helped Charlie more and given us more opportunities to score from both marks and crumbing.

We posted about this for a full week prior to that "surprise late withdrawal" of Kreuzer.

The only problem I have with that McKay / Charlie scenario is this. Given the weak minded approach by our MC, where do you think McKay would have ended up after Casboult's first 5 min in the ruck, would they have turned to Jones ahead of McKay, many of us think they should have but it seems the MC didn't rate Jones. Even in just a few minutes at the end of the game, admittedly in junk time, Jones approach and manic 2nd efforts changed the complexion of the centre bounce. He was able to demonstrate what he did in the VFL was applicable to the AFL against a far superior opponent.

I think in the absence of a genuine ruck starting Jones for the first couple of stoppages in a game at least should influences the opponents mindset. He's not someone they can just discard and free wheel away from, they have to deal with his jump at the tap and with his 2nd efforts and run.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #358
Maybe it went something like this.
Our collective team height is ...cms. That means we're too tall.
We've decided to maximally reduce it. What's the solution?
Huh what's that?  Kruez out Polson in. Good idea - done deal.

Joking of course. But I'm befuddled  :-\

It's really not that hard.

Kruezer out lets bring in a Ruckman.

Phillips returning after a long term injury is at least 2 weeks away.
Lobbe is out.
De Koning?   He is 90kg dripping wet.   Will get slaughtered.   Might has well concede the ruck and play an extra mid.
McKay will be smashed in the ruck and form hasn't been great.   Extra mid?

Reply #359
It's really not that hard.

Kruezer out lets bring in a Ruckman.

Phillips returning after a long term injury is at least 2 weeks away.
Lobbe is out.
De Koning?   He is 90kg dripping wet.   Will get slaughtered.   Might has well concede the ruck and play an extra mid.
McKay will be smashed in the ruck and form hasn't been great.   Extra mid?

Playing McKay at least would have helped Curnow and Weitering up forward.

Everyone said it before the game so it's not a hindsight thing. It was a terrible decision and it cost us any chance of winning and now Bolton for the first time in his short career has a little bit of heat on him.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!