Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 38556 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 9: Post Game Calm: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #15
A couple of times during the game, when they showed the injured, suspended and out of form sitting in the grandstand  I was reminded of an old Wayne Brittain quote from 2002.

"I remember one game walking out behind the team as they ran out on to the ground. All these injured blokes in a Carlton uniform were walking up to the grandstand. I looked at them and thought: 'There's 15 or 16 blokes who would have been in the best 18. There's my team; who has just run out out there?' That was the first time I thought: 'This is going to be a tough day.'

Injuries, suspension and the out of form affect a young side like our current one to a far greater extent than a good side.

That's not an excuse just an observation
Today was terrible....and it hardly explains a 100 point loss...
The reasons for that are many and some obscure.

We beat an Essendon side who beat Geelong....but you wouldn't give us much of a chance next week.

Just goes to show form-lines are meaningless and it's more about 'mentally' turning up to play.
For whatever reason we didn't today.
....and that's disturbing for the weeks ahead.

Reply #16
Murphy couldn't have possibly been right.Plantar fasciitis is a prick of an injury that takes months or even longer. What is wrong with our people bringing back injured players. Kennedy, who's obviously never been right since round 1, Marchbank now Murphy all to struggle because they were far from ready to return. We are run by friggen idiots.

Reply #17
A couple of times during the game, when they showed the injured, suspended and out of form sitting in the grandstand  I was reminded of an old Wayne Brittain quote from 2002.

Injuries, suspension and the out of form affect a young side like our current one to a far greater extent than a good side.

That's not an excuse just an observation
Today was terrible....and it hardly explains a 100 point loss...

We beat an Essendon side who beat Geelong....but you wouldn't give us much of a chance next week.

Just goes to show form-lines are meaningless and it's more about 'mentally' turning up to play.
For whatever reason we didn't today.
....and that's disturbing for the weeks ahead.

Nice perspective lods.

Reply #18
Outmuscled, outpressured, outskilled, outtackled, outrun,outthought,outplayed and I'm sure this list could be added to but I can't be bothered, tonight anyway.  :(
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #19
Outmuscled, outpressured, outskilled, outtackled, outrun,outthought,outplayed and I'm sure this list could be added to but I can't be bothered, tonight anyway.  :(

You can add outcoached too....

Reply #20
Mullet, O'Shea, Rowe, Graham, Kerridge and Lamb aren't good enough and never will be, if we're going to be beaten by 100 points it might as well be with a team of kids who might make the grade one day.
Throw Casboult in as well, while he's our key forward we'll always be a laughing stock.
Play the kids and roll the dice, what have we got to lose?
Garlett played a shocker but he's young and hasn't played much football, give him another 20 games and if he's still doing bugger all cut him.
What is it that makes us think that players who aren't good enough at other clubs will morph into AFL standard footballers at Carlton?
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #21
This must be the year for breaking records.
That was Dees biggest win in quarter of a century  :-[
That's a very long time in anyone's books. I wonder what other records we'll help topple this year. Moreover, how does the club keep our budding talent from looking further afield?
Can only imagine it's  very difficult for the players, particularly with our 2's struggling as well.

It's going to be a very long season. I hope we at least get our injuries sorted.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #22
Let’s get real

O’Shea, Garlett,  Jones, Thomas, Rowe, Mullett and Kerridge VFL at best
Kerr, Dow, McKay, SPS, OBrien wouldn’t be playing in many other teams

Probably left out a number of others, but it’s 50% of the side, so that’s the issue

Reply #23
You can add outcoached too....

Too true. We just had no idea and no answers. Comprehensively and systematically dismantled today.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #24
Murphy couldn't have possibly been right.Plantar fasciitis is a prick of an injury that takes months or even longer.

I've had that injury myself when I was about Murphy's age, it's very painful but it can clear up very quickly, I went from hobbling to running freely almost overnight. 
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #25
Too true. We just had no idea and no answers. Comprehensively and systematically dismantled today.

In BB's learning environment I hope he took notes today and learns quickly.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #26
Mullet, O'Shea, Rowe, Graham, Kerridge and Lamb aren't good enough and never will be, if we're going to be beaten by 100 points it might as well be with a team of kids who might make the grade one day.
Throw Casboult in as well, while he's our key forward we'll always be a laughing stock.
Play the kids and roll the dice, what have we got to lose?
Garlett played a shocker but he's young and hasn't played much football, give him another 20 games and if he's still doing bugger all cut him.
What is it that makes us think that players who aren't good enough at other clubs will morph into AFL standard footballers at Carlton?

Don't mind Lamb. We seemed to have found a role for him. Rowe I don't mind usually but would prefer we go with Marchbank and Weitering when they are ready again. Maybe rowe's experience with the other two might be useful for this year still but that's it. Kerridge is ok for depth but that's all as is Graham. Don't play when other's are up and going.

The only thing I got out of today's game was in the first half with the McKay, Kerr combination for the future. Poor buggers had no hope in the second half. Those two and Curnow, who can play key position, 3rd tall or even midfield, are a forward line we can base ourselves around for many years.

Reply #27
I've had that injury myself when I was about Murphy's age, it's very painful but it can clear up very quickly, I went from hobbling to running freely almost overnight.

Problem is that "overnight" comes months later.

Reply #28
Murphy couldn't have possibly been right.Plantar fasciitis is a prick of an injury that takes months or even longer. What is wrong with our people bringing back injured players. Kennedy, who's obviously never been right since round 1, Marchbank now Murphy all to struggle because they were far from ready to return. We are run by friggen idiots.

x2.....Murphy wasnt fit and should have come back through the twos slowly, its not like we are playing for sheep stations....Kennedy is a worry IMO and Marchbank who is also injury prone needs the Weitering treatment in the twos for a couple of weeks to prove his fitness...

Reply #29

Depends on whether it's a full or partial tear, or if it's just a strain.

In BB's learning environment I hope he took notes today and learns quickly.

I feel there is more to this than BB, it looks like there is more to this than BB, I wonder if he is being undermined.
The Force Awakens!