Skip to main content
Topic: Potential List Changes for the Northern Blues 2018 (Read 16862 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Potential List Changes for the Northern Blues 2018

Reply #30
I dont think it's comparable to weigh Ben S versus Nathan Ablett.   One's an Ablett.

I have a pretty good recollection of the Geelong supporter mood around the time Nathan Ablett was under consideration. My best mate is a Cats tragic and we went to many Cats games at The G members around the time Ablett was being talked about. Much of the back-room banter was the same then as it is now for Ben Silvagni. Talented, laconic, variable, disinterested, gifted, feigning, cruising, uncommitted, undecided, injured, under the radar, wink wink wink, etc., etc..

Ironically, the spread of commentary builds a good case for and against! It comes across as a kid who has it all and can have it all, if he wants it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
I dont think it's comparable to weigh Ben S versus Nathan Ablett.   One's an Ablett.

Exactly.

The Abletts were all talented, but suffered from FIGJAM sydrome.

The Silvagni's are a different kettle of fish and I back in our mand (Bolton) to get Ben to become comfortable being uncomfortable (although you could argue, our senior team have become a little too comfortable with being uncomfortable and are not responding as they should.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #32
Abletts come with a lot of mental baggage.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #33
Abletts come with a lot of mental baggage.

The old man was a troubled soul.Nathan was also a funny one who didn't want to be a footballer. I've never had a problem with junior. Just a bloody good player. He gets a few cheapies out the back but I would have loved him in Navy Blue.

Reply #34
Don't forget the daughter with issues and the two uncles.

Junior seems relatively normal.

Reply #35
The old man was a troubled soul.Nathan was also a funny one who didn't want to be a footballer. I've never had a problem with junior. Just a bloody good player. He gets a few cheapies out the back but I would have loved him in Navy Blue.

Yes. Great player, and comes across as a very decent, almost gentle bloke.

Reply #36
Nathan was legitmately scared of big crowds. The GF basically broke him.

Only ever played 2 more games after that.....4 years later and on the gold coast.

Reply #37
The social and mental health issues aside, the on field football stuff is a very valid comparison.

I don't give a stuff about Nathan Ablett or the Ablett families issues, some relatively young kids died associating with the bloke they called God! He should wear the regret and guilt of that to the grave, and so should the bent coppers that fixed his problems for him!!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #38
Update #2  24/09/2018
Not a lot of action here. I am not expecting anything much until after the Draft, to be honest.
At the moment there are 30 players on the NB list. I presume that lists of this size must be close to maximal for VFL teams now that there is no 2nds level in this competition. Many of these guys have managed senior VFL games this year, especially late in the season, as there were few Carlton listed players available.

After many years of high player turnover, I am not expecting the same level this season. There appears to be a strong feeling among the young lads who make up the group. However, there WILL be some. The Preston people have become very good at sifting through the TAC Cup teams for young talent.

As such, I will not look at everyone available: I don’t know enough to predict who will stay and who will go at the bottom end. However, some of the guys coming in with AFL or VFL experience may be questionable.

Confirmed Departures:
None as yet. Certainly, we will not know before the Laurie Hill Medal. Nor will news be easy to determine.

Confirmed Additions:
Again, none yet. That will not be set until after the AFL Draft.

Potential Departures:
[1]   Jesse Palmer – what happens to Palmer will very much be a function of whether or not he gets another chance at the AFL. He has done well this year, but questions over his pace and strength remain when thought of in AFL terms.
It is looking less like that we will be giving him a rookie spot, with the pressure on guys like Wright, Lamb, Kerridge and Graham.
[2]   Sam Fisher –  I find it very unlikely that Fisher will be on the VFL list in 2019. Someone will pick him up. I am hoping it is us.
[3]   Josh Hill – as an ex-AFL player he is always a chance to hang up his boots. However, I hope he doesn’t. Hill was terrible early in the season, a total non-contributor. However, when he was moved to HBF he became a different player and really did offer the leadership and experience that our bunch of kids required. Considering his own aims, as posted early in the year, I would find it far more likely that he would remain for at least another season. However, that is going to depend on what he does other than playing.
[4]   Brendan Myers – this lad has not had the sort of year he (and we) were looking for. He was not a regular and only played in the last half od the season when our midfield was especially short. As such I am not confident that he will remain with the Baby Blues.
[5]   Ethan Penrith – Penrith enjoyed a pretty good season with his pace and tackling standing out. As he is still zone listed to Carlton there is a quite reasonable chance that he will be promoted to the rookie list before the AFL draft occurs.

Potential Additions:
This is very much speculation at this point, but so much is at this time of year.
[1]   Michael Barlow – guys like Barlow probably are still good enough for AFL footy, and we would be stupid not to consider him. However, with his age and injury profile, he may miss out. If he does, then I could see a quite good chance that Carlton suggest he come to the NB’s to provide the leadership and experience that Alex Silvagni showed over the last 2 years. We need someone of this calibre, and his ability to win the ball would be a god-send to a team requiring midfield power. He is also an excellent clubman and would help the training and culture of the club. It may even open the door for him in the coaching system, which he is supposedly interested in.
[2]   Will Hickmott – looking more likely to be drafted now he won the Colts B&F

There are 2 other lads Carlton has been following as zone prospects, Brasier and Wild. I am not sure where they are at presently, but with so little profile I find it unlikely that we are serious on drafting them. However, they may well be considered for the NBs to gain experience and, hopefully, show enough to interest Carlton for 2020.

Oskar Manton and his younger brother will be playing for the Western Jets in 2019. Manton decided that he missed so much of 2018 that he was not giving himself a reasonable chance. Fair enough too. He and his brother will be on the cards for F/S next year if they are good enough.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #39
Update #3  19/10/2018
Not much npose coming from this source at all. The Blues' website has announced that a couple of youngsters have signed on for 2019: Jean-Luc Velissaris and Jordan Lynch. I also know that Tom Wilson will be going around again. Ethan Penrith has also signed on, which is good news. But at the moment things are very quiet.
At the moment there are 30 players on the NB list, as none have been officially delisted. I presume that lists of this size must be close to maximal for VFL teams now that there is no 2nds level in this competition. Many of these guys have managed senior VFL games this year, especially late in the season, as there were few Carlton listed players available.

As I said last time, I do not expect an exodus this off-season.

Confirmed Departures:
None as yet. Nor do I think we'll find out until after the ND and the RD. Some of our boys will be of considerable interest.

Confirmed Additions:
Again, none yet. But I expect that to change quickly after the Drafts, with a bunch of disappointed kids and a few older stagers not getting picked up. There is also a small chance that some of our delistees will be picked up by Northern. Not a huge chance, but not zero.

Potential Departures:
[1]   Jesse Palmer – what happens to Palmer will very much be a function of whether or not he gets another chance at the AFL. He could well get another chance, but I doubt it would be with us. having picked up Fasolo and McGovern, the role Palmer plays now has incumbents. I hope he stays with the Blues, but that is low a little less likely.
[2]   Sam Fisher –  I find it very unlikely that Fisher will be on the VFL list in 2019. Someone will pick him up. I am hoping it is us. There have been some recent rumours of our interest, now that we have flicked Graham, Kerridge and company. I simply cannot see him remaining at this level.
[3]   Josh Hill – I am feeling more confident about Hill (which means he is probably gone). Staying with us helps his long term goals and his form at the end of the season was excellent.
[4]   Brendan Myers – this lad has not had the sort of year he (and we) were looking for. He was not a regular and only played in the last half of the season when our midfield was especially short. As such I am not confident that he will remain with the Baby Blues.

Potential Additions:
This is very much speculation at this point, but so much is at this time of year.
[1]   Will Hickmott – looking more likely to be drafted now he won the Colts B&F. If we pick up his brother, he will come and play for the Baby Blues.

Carlton do have a few Zone lads, of which two, Brasier and Wild, have a small profile. I find it unlikely that they will NOT be with the Northern Blues in 2019. There are a couple of others, but I don't know enough about them to comment realistically.

The Manton brothers have committed themselves to the Western Jets for 2019. Oskar will play as a 19 year old. Both boys spent a lot of time playing basketball and only recently committed to footy. At this point, both have quite reasonable rating, even with Oskar's injuries this year.
Mil Hanna's nephew played at Calder this year and is eligible for a zone selection ... at the Drug Cheats. He looks unlikely to be drafted at this point and may well be on our horizon. I'm fairly sure that Mil's own lad is not far away either.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #40
I like velissaris.  From what I've seen he kicks goals.

Sam Fisher and jesse Palmer are both rookie prospects for us i hope.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #41
Liam won the Colts' B & F. Will starred at the combine....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #42
Excellent.   Press the button SOS.   Sold!

Reply #43
Update #4  24/11/2018
With the AFL drafts done and dusted, there are more than a few players, experienced and otherwise, now available for recruiting. It will be interesting to see how many of these guys interest the Preston side of the equation.

As I said last time, I do not expect an exodus this off-season. But there will be some. It happens.

Confirmed Departures:
None as yet. None of our guys were selected in the ND or RD.

Confirmed Additions:
[1]   Kieran Collins
Height:   194 cm
Weight:   98 kg
Western Bulldogs / Dandenong Stingrays

Collins will be 21 for the 2019 season, as he is a December birth. He played a couple of years at the Bulldogs without making that much of a mark. He was a consistent VFL player, rather than an outstanding one. But given the relative lack of tall defenders on the Northern Blues list, he is a welcome inclusion.
I guess he also sees this as an opportunity to impress Carlton, who are looking for someone as gorilla minder, now Rowe is gone.

At the moment he is the only one.

Potential Departures:
[1]   Josh Hill – I am feeling more confident about Hill (which means he is probably gone). Staying with us helps his long term goals and his form at the end of the season was excellent.
[2]   Brendan Myers – this lad has not had the sort of year he (and we) were looking for. He was not a regular and only played in the last half of the season when our midfield was especially short. As such I am not confident that he will remain with the Baby Blues.

Potential Additions:
[1]   Daniel Hanna
Height:   199 cm
Weight:   82 kg
Calder Cannons

The nephew of Mil Hanna did not get picked up by the Drug Cheats, so he is available to play where he likes. If I were Carlton, I would be getting the 18-year-old down to NB’s training.
Hanna is tall, but plays more of a running game. Kicking is his weakness at this point, being unreliable (not unlike his Uncle Mil’s). He is very skilful and mobile for a big man.

[2]   Mitchell Podhajski
Height:   
Weight:   
Calder Cannons

Ignored for the 2nd year in a row, but having converted himself from a defender into a strong midfielder, I would look to providing this lad with a home. I thought he was unlucky not to be drafted.

Carlton do have a few Zone lads, of which two, Brasier and Wild, have a small profile. I find it unlikely that they will NOT be with the Northern Blues in 2019. Lamb is also a chance, depending on how reacts to being ignored by Carlton.

Palmer and Fisher have already signed on for 2019, as has Penrith. With 1 spot available on Carlton's rookie list, they are in the running.

Other names, like Hartung. have been rumoured to be of interest, but I really don't have any information to suggest many of these guys with AFL experience may be applicable.

Live Long and Prosper!