Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 62677 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #375
I guess the SOS Character Meter was set to Snooze Mode when they interviewed him.

My first thoughts too.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #376
From the Coaches (and says it all).

CARLTON v GOLD COAST
10 Tom Lynch (GC)
8 Jarryd Lyons (GC)
4 Jack Martin (GC)
3 David Swallow (GC)
2 Nick Holman (GC)
2 Jarrod Witts (GC)
1 Ed Curnow (Carl)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #377
Playing McKay at least would have helped Curnow and Weitering up forward.

Everyone said it before the game so it's not a hindsight thing. It was a terrible decision and it cost us any chance of winning and now Bolton for the first time in his short career has a little bit of heat on him.

I get that it didnt work but the other options where piss poor.   M Its not like we passed over Shane Mumford or Justin Madden who where running around in the twos.

McKay would have added zero in the ruck.   5 hit outs max.  Maybe a goal or two up forward but with the delivery from the midfield more likley zero

No one in that VFL side would have made any difference.

This game wasnt lost at the selection table

And for the record a three tall forward line?  Yeah that would help our crowded and congested forward line.    A defenders dream

Reply #378
Can someone tell me the four emergencies for the Richmond game?

I am working on a theory that Polson was selected for a period of good work over the preseason and not one game at VFL level.    Slightly left field

Reply #379

CARLTON v GOLD COAST
10 Tom Lynch (GC)
8 Jarryd Lyons (GC)
4 Jack Martin (GC)
3 David Swallow (GC)
2 Nick Holman (GC)
2 Jarrod Witts (GC)
1 Ed Curnow (Carl)

Could have had Lyons.....his stats last season were impressive too and in a poor team...

Reply #380

CARLTON v GOLD COAST
10 Tom Lynch (GC)
8 Jarryd Lyons (GC)
4 Jack Martin (GC)
3 David Swallow (GC)
2 Nick Holman (GC)
2 Jarrod Witts (GC)
1 Ed Curnow (Carl)

Dew has a lot to do with that IMO.  Has a good footy pedigree - has worked with the right clubs. He also has footy smarts and will get a lot out of that group.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #381
I think anyone who expects GC to fold without a fight is barking up the wrong tree.
They made some poor choices in putting that team together, but they still have a good portion of the cream from several drafts. With the right coaching they will be competitive.

Reply #382
Can someone tell me the four emergencies for the Richmond game?

I am working on a theory that Polson was selected for a period of good work over the preseason and not one game at VFL level.    Slightly left field

Emg: David Cuningham, Cameron Polson, Harry McKay, Cameron O'Shea

Reply #384
my 2 cents worth.

midfield was where it all fell down.  not enough pressure, running, skill etc... all teams attack and defend through the midfield, and when the midfield is down, everyone else suffers.

we're building a midfield almost from scratch.  We were missing these blokes, and it hurt : Kreuzer, Kennedy & Lang will play the majority of games in the coming years you'd think.  And these kids are good quality and need more games under their belts : SPS, Fisher & Dow.  And we need these guys to come on and turn out to be good solid players atleast : Cunningham & O'Brien.

we're still too shallow with talent & experience in the middle to afford to lose 3 mature midfielders, while also carrying kids like Dow & Polson.  the fact they selected those kids ahead of more reliable and seasoned types like Kerridge & Graham tells me the coach / match committee is still in development phase.  they're trying to pump games into kids still.

as impatient as I am, I have to accept we're still not quite ready to move up the ladder yet, especially not with the little run of injuries in the midfield.  I think the club already has the bones of a pretty good midfield, but 3 didn't play, and some need more time to develop.  and they need to show a bit more pressure and intent or it won't matter who's in the team.  atleast that can be fixed sometimes in as little as a week.  we need patience grasshoppers. 

It was a pretty horrid game, so bad it took me 4 days to think of something positive to say. 

Reply #385
I get that it didnt work but the other options where piss poor.   M Its not like we passed over Shane Mumford or Justin Madden who where running around in the twos.

McKay would have added zero in the ruck.   5 hit outs max.  Maybe a goal or two up forward but with the delivery from the midfield more likley zero

And for the record a three tall forward line?  Yeah that would help our crowded and congested forward line.    A defenders dream

If Kreuzer was there though Casboult would've been forward. All it would've been as talls nwas McKay and Curnow rather than Casboult and Curnow. It would've had the effect of splitting their defence a bit more. McKay would've added value around the ground too when he was on the ball.

In the end though, our attitude and workrate was so poor that it wouldn't have mattered who we picked.

Reply #386
If Lynch doesn't play, we win. Given our performance, that's a truly frightful thought.

Reply #387
If Lynch doesn't play, we win. Given our performance, that's a truly frightful thought.

Not sure about that... :D
If it wasn't Lynch kicking them someone else would have.

Reply #388
The more I think about Lynch's haul of goals, the angrier I get. The prick has only beat up on us (twice), no one else. FFS surely the days of bags like that from flat track bullies are over. Start a fight, niggle at him, do something, anything.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #389

McKay in, meant Casboult was the full time ruck. McKays potential hitout stats mean nothing.

Its the forwardline (and Charlie) that suffered with the kreuzer out.