Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 3: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Collingwood (Read 30328 times) previous topic - next topic

2018 Rd 3: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Collingwood

Friday, 6th April
7.50 PM
MCG

Sooooo kiddies..............

Re: Topic: 2018 Rd 3: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Collingwood

Reply #1
Kreuzer in, Weitering out.

Re: 2018 Rd 3: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Collingwood

Reply #2
Collingwood were unlucky to lose to GWS. Their intensity today was fantastic. If they play like that next week, we are toast.
Brodie Grundy showed why I wanted to recruit him so badly. He beat the GWS rucks totally, almost as much as Witts did against us. If we have a ruck combination like we had today, we will get killed in the middle.
Can we find the defenders to keep Collingwood's small forwards out of the game? They struggled for key forwards today.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
Weitering needs to do some time in the VFL, to do an apprenticeship like we used to do in our heyday.
At the moment he isn't enjoying his football and it isn't hard to tell. He had 5 possessions (although he did take 4 marks).
He needs to work on his pace, which is his biggest weakness. Working on his strength would also be to his advantage. To be honest, he hasn't looked the same since he got his injury in his 1st season. It is about time he took him aside and trained him to be the answer, not the question.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
Hey crash, does it bug you that I occasionally start these threads ? If so, let me know. Don't want to be stepping on anyone's toes.

Reply #5
So Weitering gets the chop, while ten years of accumulated sh1te just slides off certain experienced players after today's pathetic Rnd 2 effort! Players who should be standing up and showing the 20 years olds the way, not looking for the 20 years olds to give them an armchair ride!

The vacuum of accountability for some of our experienced players is to say the least bizarre!

Of course, we are Carlton, how disappointing!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
Hey crash, does it bug you that I occasionally start these threads ? If so, let me know. Don't want to be stepping on anyone's toes.

Don't hesitate to start a thread Paul.
It's not just mods responsibility...in fact we'd like to see members generating as many threads as possible.
That goes for pre-match, post match and in game threads as well.

Reply #7
Not at all! Quite the contrary, its great when others start the threads.
I just wanted to edit the title a bit to fit with the others. That was my only concern, and it was pretty minor.
No, keep going, please!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #8
Don't hesitate to start a thread Paul.
It's not just mods responsibility...in fact we'd like to see members generating as many threads as possible.
That goes for pre-match, post match and in game threads as well.

Not at all! Quite the contrary, its great when others start the threads.
I just wanted to edit the title a bit to fit with the others. That was my only concern, and it was pretty minor.
No, keep going, please!

OK, just checking. Thanks.

Reply #9
We may as well give all the experience the ar5e and play all the kids at once, it won't be worse than today because we won't enter the game with any expectation of victory!

If only I were joking, but I think BB is not in a position to send that message, even though I think it needs to be sent!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
We need Kreuzer to be fit, but that is questionable. If he doesn't come up, then we need to play either Lobbe or Phillips. We can't go into another game against a top ruckman with only Casboult.

Weitering needs to be dropped. He needs a period of time in the VFL to learn what he needs to do, to gain his confidence and to start playing to his strengths instead of his weaknesses.
The time in the VFL did Silvagni no harm, as he kicked 3 goals. Now to keep it going for a few more weeks.

It would be very handy to have Kennedy and Lang ready to play as well. Nick Graham deserves a senior game.

Byrne will probably miss through injury when he was finally finding a little form. But he needs game time. In the VFL if nothing else.
Polson didn't have a great game. He'll probably be dropped. He needs to get 25 - 30 possessions each week in the VFL, like Kerridge and Graham.
Cuningham got the ball enough, but his decision making was ordinary. He might stay because he was getting the ball, but he made some shocking mistakes.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #11
TDK plays, if need be....

Ready? Not relevant....he's tough, seen his brothers?

Polson, Dow and Cuners.....back to the 2s. Kerridge in, Graham in.....

Polson and Dow simply are no where near ready. Should not have been picked today.

Dow is onlt getting damaged playing now.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #12
Mullet, OShea, Byrne, Polson, Lamb - it’s quite simple, if 3 or more of theses guys play, we’ll almost certainly lose. And, Cunningham, Garlett and Weitering might as well be lumped in with that group on current form. That’s 8 of the starting 22 before you even get to game plan and players out of position.

The sooner that Silvagni, Kennedy, Lang, Kreuzer, Williamson find their way into the team the better.

Weitering is the really frustrating one  - I know that he’s young but he lacks aggession and he needs to be a lot tougher than he is.. Its all betweeen the ears with him.

Reply #13
Weitering is my major concern considering he was/is one of our most valuable assets. He currently looks mentally shot as others have highlighted. He needs to be rehabilitated in the 2s where he can regain confidence and composure and return to the seniors in a role where he can excel and I mean in defence. It would be an absolute tragedy if we stuff up his development and an indictement on our club.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #14
If our effort against Gold Coast isn't enough to start a bit of a shake up of the team, i don't know what is.

Time for a spell...
1. Weitering. Liability 2 weeks in a row. He is so much better than he has been playing, give him a spell.
2. Dow. You've had a taste of it. its been too quick for you. Go back and get 30 in the VFL to remind yourself you can and will dominate this game in the future.
3. Bryne. Potentially injured anyway, but lacking football nous it appears. Heart is in it, but ability is lacking.
4. Mullet. Your smooth left foot seems to have disappeared somewhat over the summer. 28 touches is good, 22 kicks...but 57% DE? Need to be better. WIll probably be spared because of those above him.

Time for the call-up....
1. Jack Silvagni. Been 'average' in form, not in intensity. Was wrong to drop him and bring in some more defenders. Jack offers more up forward than Weitering does....and a lot more effort too.
2. McKay. Might not be banging the door down, but can't be any worse than what we've displayed up forward by the 'others' trying to fill a gap.
3. Alex Silvagni. As with his cousin, effort is unconditional. Might be worth playing him up forward to teach the young bucks a few tricks, and push some defenders around. Given his speed and marking ability, a role on the wing could be an option.
4. Willo. He can take Byrnes spot in defense. We need more run and carry.

Now i'm not suggesting all of these players should come in for this week, but at least 3 outs, and 2 ins from that list is required. The rest depends on who is fit - Kreuzer, Kennedy etc