Skip to main content
Topic: Chris Yarran has gone backwards. (Read 116697 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Chris Yarran has gone backwards.

Reply #45
Yarran hasn't gone backwards, he's just adapting to MM. He's going ok IMO, he had some mongrel in him against the saints which I love, no issues with him...

Eddie had a broken jaw not long ago so will take a bit to come back from, confidence wise.

Jeffy is going along fine, he's been smashed from pillar to post and still fronts up time and time again.

Silly topic really, surely we have more than that to discuss.... ::)

Reply #46
Yarran hasn't gone backwards, he's just adapting to MM. He's going ok IMO, he had some mongrel in him against the saints which I love, no issues with him...

Eddie had a broken jaw not long ago so will take a bit to come back from, confidence wise.

Jeffy is going along fine, he's been smashed from pillar to post and still fronts up time and time again.

i must disagree. how is a player judged if not on output?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #47
Regardless of whether he has gone backwards or not, I don't think he is anywhere near where he needs to be playing at this stage of his career.

I wouldn't think I'm being too harsh expecting him to be regularly playing in the midfield by now and regularly too. He has had plenty of time to work on his motor and should be a star performer as an onballer at this stage. Certainly our midfield is crying out for some more class and he would've been a welcome addition to the group

Reply #48
Interesting piece on the effectiveness of the three amigos this year.  In particular this piece about Yarran pricked my ears, and basically says what many here have been saying for some time.

Yarran is more a victim, at this stage, of Malthouse's coaching strategy where defence comes first and foremost and unless you can play effective man-on-man football you won't survive in that area.

In 2011 Yarran was allowed the freedom to express himself off half-back but he won't return to that role unless he improves the defensive side of his game.

If he does, Yarran will be used in an attacking role off half-back, just as Heath Shaw became at Collingwood under Malthouse. But will he remain a Blue in 2014?

Maybe there is something in Thryleon's rumour.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-small-forwards-chris-yarran-jeff-garlett-and-eddie-betts-unlikely-to-be-together-in-2014/story-fni5f5nx-1226681670018
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #49

Yeah sht, who would've thought discussing the form of a promising talented player in our squad would come up here? What were we possibly thinking?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #50
I think that the players that are being selected on a regular basis will be unlikely to go unless a very very good trade deal is available that truly advantages us.

IMO we would want an established and well performed KPF or KPD in return for Yazz if we decided to reduce the 3 amigos to 2.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #51
Yarran can play anywhere other than kpp.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #52
The contract status of Betts makes this an interesting discussion.

Why the delay so far? Could that uncertainty be impacting on the form of all three?

I'd hate to lose Betts, I think he's the most 'all-round' of all of them.
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #53
The thought of Betts playing for any other club makes me feel nauseous.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #54
Yarran can play anywhere other than kpp.

Chris Yarran tagging would be a disaster, he is not physical enough and his first thought is to rove rather than spoil. He cost us critical goals several times last season when he was caught spectating on the HB line when he should have been 3rd man up or making up the numbers on the inside.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55

I rest my case!  ;)

Reply #56
Yazz had a good night tonight but I reckon PI2C will try to tell us that yazz would have kicked 5 times more goals under ratten and taken 2x the contested marks.

Reply #57
Thought he was awful early but really worked his way into it. Clearly an improvement on last week.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #58
Thought he was awful early but really worked his way into it. Clearly an improvement on last week.

I though it was his tackling that got him into the game. Couldn't get the ball early so attacked the player with the ball and it worked. Same goes for most sports there is always one thing you can do if you're not getting in the game and by doing that one thing, it generally get you involved and the game then comes to you.

Reply #59
Yazz is a touch player.  Was ordinary early but really got into the game after that.  Did not get many touches but  scored a couple of goals, one aftera mark going back into pack and one from a stopage.    Thought his tackling and pressure in forward line was great, probably the best I have seen him in this facet.