Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues ignored again in Liston (Read 5015 times) previous topic - next topic

Northern Blues ignored again in Liston

The Liston Trophy is the B & F for the VFL and was for the VFA before it. Like the Brownlow, there have been some odd results over the years.
This year Alex Woodward of Hawthorn - well, Box Hill - won with 20 votes. He certainly deserved his 3 votes against us.

However:
[1] Marcon (now with Willi) managed 12 votes from 6 games.
[2] Nick Meese (now also with Willi) managed 8 votes from 5 games.
Nick was a warrior for the Bullants / Blues, but he wasn't good enough and seriously isn't good enough to beat a real ruckman.

[3] Nick Graham was our highest vote getter with 6 votes: a 3, a 2 and a 1.

[4] No other Blue managed to get votes for more than 1 game. Nobody got 5 votes or 4 votes.

[5] Heath Scotland got 3 votes for the first game of the season.
[6] Tom Bell and Blaine Johnson also managed 3 votes: 1 BOG each.
[7] Cam Wood got 2 votes.
[8] There were a few 1 vote scores.

I know the Blues finished poorly: there wasn't much left in the tank at the end, as the seniors were more like the Northern Blues.
However, the Blues were good early and still managed to get almost no kudos at all. Cam Wood was probably the premier ruckman in the comp until he was promoted, yet he managed 2 votes from 1 game. Cachia was a 30+ possession player when he was fit, yet he also was mentioned only once.

I find it remarkable. It is like we were being ignored.

We all know that the baby Blues need a serious influx of talent. Probably only Cattapan would get a game at one of the stronger stand alone teams. Maybe Anthony or Wilko. If the Northern Blues are going to work, there needs to be a lot more talent on the list: our kids need some help and some experience. But even then, we seem to be ignored. I find that more than worrying.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Northern Blues ignored again in Liston

Reply #1
You could say the same about the Afl blues.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2
Certainly we get little positive bout us in the media, but this is almost like we aren't there.
It truly worries me.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
Good points Crash.....we are not the flavour of the month.....we don't sell papers; and we haven't an Ablett or Dangerfield or an excitement machine like Ollie Wines.....we're boring.

Reply #4
Certainly we get little positive bout us in the media, but this is almost like we aren't there.
It truly worries me.

In short, we have become a very unfashionable, if not THE most unfashionable club.  :(

There's only one way to change that!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #5
Better to go under the radar and get better and better.

In, I think it was 2011, after round 3 we were flag favourites, players in the papers etc then when it all falls to crap we are a favourite punching bag of others.

I'd prefer to just get on with it and be in the paper when we are a real threat!!!!!

Reply #6
The Liston Trophy is the B & F for the VFL and was for the VFA before it. Like the Brownlow, there have been some odd results over the years.
This year Alex Woodward of Hawthorn - well, Box Hill - won with 20 votes. He certainly deserved his 3 votes against us.

However:
[1] Marcon (now with Willi) managed 12 votes from 6 games.
[2] Nick Meese (now also with Willi) managed 8 votes from 5 games.
Nick was a warrior for the Bullants / Blues, but he wasn't good enough and seriously isn't good enough to beat a real ruckman.

[3] Nick Graham was our highest vote getter with 6 votes: a 3, a 2 and a 1.

[4] No other Blue managed to get votes for more than 1 game. Nobody got 5 votes or 4 votes.

[5] Heath Scotland got 3 votes for the first game of the season.
[6] Tom Bell and Blaine Johnson also managed 3 votes: 1 BOG each.
[7] Cam Wood got 2 votes.
[8] There were a few 1 vote scores.

I know the Blues finished poorly: there wasn't much left in the tank at the end, as the seniors were more like the Northern Blues.
However, the Blues were good early and still managed to get almost no kudos at all. Cam Wood was probably the premier ruckman in the comp until he was promoted, yet he managed 2 votes from 1 game. Cachia was a 30+ possession player when he was fit, yet he also was mentioned only once.

I find it remarkable. It is like we were being ignored.

We all know that the baby Blues need a serious influx of talent. Probably only Cattapan would get a game at one of the stronger stand alone teams. Maybe Anthony or Wilko. If the Northern Blues are going to work, there needs to be a lot more talent on the list: our kids need some help and some experience. But even then, we seem to be ignored. I find that more than worrying.

Crash, are you able to give your opinion on Tom Wilson ? he won the 2014 NB B+F, but I never hear him mentioned on these boards at all.

Many thanks in advance.

Reply #7
Tom Wilson, like Sam Cattapan, is a pretty small guy: 176 cm and 78 kg. He isn't overly quick, but he works hard, puts his body in and gives a red hot go. His disposal is not elite, but it isn't really crap. He gets 20+ possessions each time he plays and he will never die wondering. He has a pretty good attitude. Basically, he is a pretty good VFL player. He probably won't get a shot at AFL, but like Box Bransgrove, he is a solid player who you can build into a VFL club.
He comes from Vermont and played for the Eastern Ranges.

Sam Cattapan is 175 cm and 75 kg: Sheik knows him. He is a very similar player: not overly classy, but with a good attitude and a very good work rate. He also tends to get it 20+ times per game and did well at the B & F.

If we can keep these guys around for a while, they will form the core of the Northern Blues for some time, especially with guys like Marcon and Lambert gone. To be honest, I don't think either has the weapons to make it at AFL level. But they are definitely go-ers, hard workers and good role models. Neither had much of a profile, but they both keep going anyway.

The Northern Blues lack talent in the VFL contingent. especially as many of the better known players left after 2013. It left us with a very small, very inexperienced lineup. That left a lot of roles open, especially as the few experienced players we DID have spent a lot of time out injured (like Captain Box). Wilson and Cattapan took up on field leadership roles. Now they have their roles, it would be nice to get some more talent around them. Especially the NBs need some height.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #8
Thanks Crash - I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge.

Reply #9
Thanks Crash - I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge.
No problem! I tend to pontificate....  ;D
Live Long and Prosper!