Skip to main content
Topic: Casboult To Play As A Permanent Ruckman  (Read 10357 times) previous topic - next topic

Casboult To Play As A Permanent Ruckman

Looking at the tea-leaves and believing that we will be successful in securing both Liam Jones & Kristian Jaksch, I'm thinking we may be looking to completely rejig our regular spine/structure.

FB - Jacksch (196cm)
CHB - Rowe (198cm) 
CHF - Henderson (196cm)
FF - Jones (198cm)

Rucks - Kreuzer (200cm) & Casboult (199cm)

Using Casboult in this manner would mean that he could be used to roam around the ground and clunk big marks (something Warnock is incapable of) with the added bonus of taking the pressure off him to kick straight which could be the making of him actually.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: Casboult To Play As A Permanent Ruckman

Reply #1
I'd be surprised if Jones went FF, he weakest attribute is when he is being stood by a KPD, body on body is not his thing.

Jones strength is that he is an ultra mobile tall, he can play a Walker type role on a FF or even a Wing and really hurt opponents in the air and on the ground.

I could see us rotating rucks off the bench and having guys like Everitt, Jones and Walker in a FP, FF and Wing rotation.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
Jaksch if he signs with us(50/50 IMO) would play CHB IMO....Henderson would play CHF and Jones FF......
Jones doesnt know how to play anywhere else and i reckon Casboult will continue his roles as 2nd ruckman and resting forward pocket.
It will also depend on matchups, ground conditions and opposition...

You need the option of three tall backs these days and with Jamison, Rowe and Jaksch we could finally have the setup to combat the multiple tall forwards that the good
teams have...

Reply #3
Jaksch if he signs with us(50/50 IMO) would play CHB IMO....Henderson would play CHF and Jones FF......
Jones doesnt know how to play anywhere else and i reckon Casboult will continue his roles as 2nd ruckman and resting forward pocket.

You need the option of three tall backs these days and with Jamison, Rowe and Jaksch we could finally have the setup to combat the multiple tall forwards that the good
teams have...

Do you know enough about Giles to advise whether he can be part of ther mix next year?
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #4
Mick has said that Kreuz (at 200cm) is too short to be a number 1 ruckman.

So, I'd say no.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #5

teams have...

Do you know enough about Giles to advise whether he can be part of ther mix next year?

Crashlander, Baggers or River Rat are probably the best to ask this question as they are regulars at NB's games....the three or four games I have seen him he looks a long way off.
IMO he is more your rebounding tall defender who would get a lot more of the footy than your regular defenders but wouldnt be playing his man so close, the times I saw him actually defend or bodyup on opposing players he looked lost and he seemed to not get to contests and misread where the footy was going.
The kid has good skills but probably needs to play in a better NB's team where they are not getting hammered most weeks and he can get confidence and learn mote about the game.
Hope he has a big preseason and comes back stronger because he has ability and would add to our tall defender stocks..

Reply #6
I think Henderson plays his best footy in the backline and having him team up with Rowe and Jamison is the best option for building a solid unit that can take on most tall forward lines. It would also allow Jamison to play more a loose man in defence which he seems to do best - he is good runner for a player his size. Playing loose and spending less time under the pack maybe also preserve his body and we can get a few more years out of him on the other side of 30.

That still leaves Casboult, Jones and Jaksch (and hopefully Membrey) up forward with Everitt, Walker and Menzel as potential options to rotate through.

Reply #7
Cool - so we've officially gotten Jaksch have we? Let's not get ahead of ourselves here......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #8

So, I'd say no.
Surely that must be just a bluff from Mick though to motivate Kreuzer?
With the exception of Freo, most clubs play a ruckman of comparable height at around 200-204cms. Surely skill and strength make up for a pretty small height difference?
Stefan Martin, Will Minson, Patrick Ryder and Shane Mumford are all under 200cm and had pretty good seasons.

Reply #9
..........Stefan Martin, Will Minson, Patrick Ryder and Shane Mumford are all under 200cm and had pretty good seasons.

Forget what the lists say, half the figures are bogus or were collected when the player was 18 years old.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10

So, I'd say no.

He also said that Kreuzer would be our number one ruckman as long as he's coaching!

Don't read too much into Mick's throw away lines.  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #11

teams have...

Crashlander, Baggers or River Rat are probably the best to ask this question as they are regulars at NB's games....the three or four games I have seen him he looks a long way off.
IMO he is more your rebounding tall defender who would get a lot more of the footy than your regular defenders but wouldnt be playing his man so close, the times I saw him actually defend or bodyup on opposing players he looked lost and he seemed to not get to contests and misread where the footy was going.
The kid has good skills but probably needs to play in a better NB's team where they are not getting hammered most weeks and he can get confidence and learn mote about the game.
Hope he has a big preseason and comes back stronger because he has ability and would add to our tall defender stocks..
With Giles missing so much of the 2014 season it makes me wonder if he will be ready to play much on 2015 in the seniors. One thing in his favour, the long break will allow him to mould his body and work on his stamina. Last year he was out-bodied too easily. I don't expect that to be the case in 2015.
He will be pretty rusty at first, but will be in the position to make the most of his chances, as he will have had the opportunity to build up his body without the opposition seeing anything of him.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #12
Casboult simply doesn't have the take to play ruck. In fact after watching him closely this year he needs to seriously work on his endurance full stop. Needs to get to more contests than he does. With Kruezer, jones and potentially Jacksh coming in next year, Cas will no games won't be gifted to him.
Eat more chooks

Reply #13
I maintain the view that kruezer is not a good ruckman but a serviceable follower. He is probably cooked with injury

Reply #14
I maintain the view that kruezer is not a good ruckman but a serviceable follower. He is probably cooked with injury

Kreuzer is a bad ruckmen like Ablett is a bad KPF! ;)

The Force Awakens!