Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton's Ball Butchers (Read 9112 times) previous topic - next topic

Carlton's Ball Butchers

Interested in the forums faithful on ranking our players out of 10 on their ability to hit targets 30m-50m…..think we just lost a 2-3 in Mitch Robinson….

Hawthorn seem to have developed a zero tolerance policy to any players on their list that can't execute basic foot skills in hitting targets….hence back to back flags and looking a big chance for a 3peat

I would rank our best precision kicks currently as 7-9 ranked from 10 as

Gibbs
Murphy
was Scotland but retired….
Mensal
Yazz

I'm scratching my head to get anyone else in that high bracket…any thoughts?

Butchers in the 4 and unders

Armfield
Casboult
Bell
Curfew
Lucas gone
Warnock…if he gets a kick
Carrazzo

lot of average kicks 5-7 amongst the rest including Simmo unfortunately..great courage but high ball drop…like Carrots…like Bolt…poor technique kills us…why do they turn up each year after a summer where they can refine their skills and turn up with the same crap skills…got my head in on this

Re: Carlton's Ball Butchers

Reply #1
Curfew?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #2
Interested in the forums faithful on ranking our players out of 10 on their ability to hit targets 30m-50m…..think we just lost a 2-3 in Mitch Robinson….

Hawthorn seem to have developed a zero tolerance policy to any players on their list that can't execute basic foot skills in hitting targets….hence back to back flags and looking a big chance for a 3peat

I would rank our best precision kicks currently as 7-9 ranked from 10 as

Gibbs
Murphy
was Scotland but retired….
Mensal
Yazz

I'm scratching my head to get anyone else in that high bracket…any thoughts?

Butchers in the 4 and unders

Armfield
Casboult
Bell
Curfew
Lucas gone
Warnock…if he gets a kick
Carrazzo

lot of average kicks 5-7 amongst the rest including Simmo unfortunately..great courage but high ball drop…like Carrots…like Bolt…poor technique kills us…why do they turn up each year after a summer where they can refine their skills and turn up with the same crap skills…got my head in on this

Jacksh is a very nice kick of the footy and Henderson doesnt have a bad technique...agree on the technical stuff about the ball drop...too high and some drop the ball with two hands and dont guide it
onto the foot...

Reply #4
I cringe when I see Walker, Docherty or Jammo coming of defence with the ball...  they are not bad kicks but some of the decision making and execution at times...
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #6
I cringe when I see Walker, Docherty or Jammo coming of defence with the ball...  they are not bad kicks but some of the decision making and execution at times...

Agreed, people kept smashing the blokes we played as KPFs but the decision making is complete crud!

At least that can't put it on Bett's head anymore! ;)

Jammo is actually very good, if he makes the right decision.

But we are a dumb side, our blokes make dummy-leads and the opposition defenders don't go with them because they know we will predictably kick it to the bloke left with three on him!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7

I was wondering when someone would wake up to Docherty. He has so far to go yet everyone on here claims him as a draft victory. Fk knows how Brisbane picked up a short flanker with pick 12. That's not to say he can't develop, but he certainly needs to!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #8
Curfew?

If Robbo was still on the list, I'd assume him but my guess is Curnow being autocorrected

If deliberately misspelled I suggest Curnover would be a better name. :))

:))

I am not really a great fan of Curnow's disposal either, but I'm outnumbered at the game by my friends who think he's great - I have to be really careful what I say. Similar story with Robbo, but I can act very smug next year, unless of course he makes a huge impact at the Lions then I'll get flayed!  :-\
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #9
Interestingly, supporters of nearly every other club bemoan the same thing.

Reply #10
Drafting is all about beep tests, repeat sprints, vertical leaps, etc. None of that matters if you can't kick. Recruiters still do not recruit that way.

We'll "develop" their kicking skills... just like we did with Kane Lucas who I'm sure had a fantastic beep test.

Reply #11
Bell is a massive butcher of the ball but makes up for it with some serious heroics.

Glad we still have him now we lost Robbo.

Reply #12
Bell is a massive butcher of the ball but makes up for it with some serious heroics.

Serious Heroics? :o
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #13

Agree....dont think I have seen Bell kick one ball cleanly, they are all mongrel drop punts that dont spin right but
as your rightly point out we need him for his muscle and judging by the training photo's we saw on the first day back on the track
he looks a very big unit with a lot more definition than his teammates in the upper body and arms.
Reckon Bell and Whiley can make up for Robbo's grunt factor...

Reply #14

Agree....dont think I have seen Bell kick one ball cleanly, they are all mongrel drop punts that dont spin right but
as your rightly point out we need him for his muscle and judging by the training photo's we saw on the first day back on the track
he looks a very big unit with a lot more definition than his teammates in the upper body and arms.
Reckon Bell and Whiley can make up for Robbo's grunt factor...

ellwood- see Bells running goal in the last game in the last quarter against Port in Adelaide in 2013...blinder in the wet...