Skip to main content
Topic: Round 14 - Blues v Western Bulldogs (Aftermatch Aftermath) (Read 41101 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 14 - Blues v Western Bulldogs (Aftermatch Aftermath)

Reply #90
Hendo took more contested marks at CHB. He usually had the composure to punch in situation here he wasn't sure of the result. Up forward he is the one who has to take the grabs and that doesn't happen as much as he would want. That is why we have Levi, but he doesn't have the body work or the ability to read the play like Hendo does.

Yes, he's at CHF out of necessity right now. Maybe put him at CHB and bring in Watson or Jaksch. Watson's had a few good weeks in the twos, bar last week when it simply a waste of time being a forward. Be worth bringing him in to see how he goes under Barker. If we are to make a decision on him best see how he goes for a few weeks under a different game style.

Reply #91
BTW - I agree about Hendo - he is not much of a contested mark when opponents are trying to spoil him but he can take some contested marks.

Henderson's nothing flash.
He's better than average and far from a dud but he's not the big bodied forward we need and never will be.
I'm not leaning towards trading him because we won't get a top 10 pick or probably even a top 20, and he's better than 90% of the players we'll draft outside that bracket.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #92
What if the Cats gave us pick 10?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #93
Henderson's nothing flash.
He's better than average and far from a dud but he's not the big bodied forward we need and never will be.
I'm not leaning towards trading him because we won't get a top 10 pick or probably even a top 20, and he's better than 90% of the players we'll draft outside that bracket.

Alot more flash at CHB.

He already intimated now that he's staying.

Reply #94
Hendo is a backman and I bet that's where the Cats would play him.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #95
Hendo is a backman and I bet that's where the Cats would play him.

Cripps said on a Fox footy program that he thought another good KP backman was our highest priority. Hendo certainly fits that bill so why not play him there and look for a forward e.g. Dixon?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #96
Cripps said on a Fox footy program that he thought another good KP backman was our highest priority. Hendo certainly fits that bill so why not play him there and look for a forward e.g. Dixon?

Page. Same. Yep, Cookiest One.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #97
Yes, he's at CHF out of necessity right now. Maybe put him at CHB and bring in Watson or Jaksch. Watson's had a few good weeks in the twos, bar last week when it simply a waste of time being a forward. Be worth bringing him in to see how he goes under Barker. If we are to make a decision on him best see how he goes for a few weeks under a different game style.

Not another one calling for Watson ::)

I think the decision has been made

If Hendo goes to his best position at CHB. Rowe would be a better forward option - faster on the lead than Levi - better contested mark than Hendo - better competitor than Watson (low bar)

Reply #98
@RR

Agree on Watson, papers probably stamped.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #99
What if the Cats gave us pick 10?

No chance I reckon, but I'd take it in a flash.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #100
Not another one calling for Watson ::)

I think the decision has been made

If Hendo goes to his best position at CHB. Rowe would be a better forward option - faster on the lead than Levi - better contested mark than Hendo - better competitor than Watson (low bar)

Why not look at Watson under a different game plan. If you make a decision on someone it has to be an informed one, not a biased one. Mightn't do any good but you must see first.

Rowe's always been crap up forward. Also alot better at CHB hence why Hendo's at CHF at the moment out of necessity.

Reply #101
Why not look at Watson under a different game plan. If you make a decision on someone it has to be an informed one, not a biased one. Mightn't do any good but you must see first.

Rowe's always been crap up forward. Also alot better at CHB hence why Hendo's at CHF at the moment out of necessity.

I don't think that the gameplan would make any difference.  Watson doesn't work hard enough and doesn't have the attributes to be a KPP (and that's a complete turnaround from my opinion at the start of the season).  He is a bit like Jones really.

Rowe was recruited as a key forward but I don't think that he can read the play well enough to be a success as a forward.  He is a lot better as a defender because his opponent gets him to the right spots . . . most of the time.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #102
I don't think that the gameplan would make any difference.  Watson doesn't work hard enough and doesn't have the attributes to be a KPP (and that's a complete turnaround from my opinion at the start of the season).  He is a bit like Jones really.

Rowe was recruited as a key forward but I don't think that he can read the play well enough to be a success as a forward.  He is a lot better as a defender because his opponent gets him to the right spots . . . most of the time.
I really would give Watson a chance under our present game plan. It is working more effectively, so one can never know. I doubt he is going to make it at this point, because you are right: he doesn't work hard enough. But I would give him a chance and not just one week.

Rowe wasn't THAT bad a forward, in the SANFL. He also did his share of ruck work. He was found wanting in that role at AFL level, and he wasn't the first under that game style either. His first half season in defence was a shocker, but he has improved in that role hugely. By the start of 2014 you worried about the fumbles, but not about how he played the game. By the end of 2014 he was our best tall defender. He still needs to improve as he tends to fumbles too often: taking his eyes off the ball? Reaction time not quite right? Whatever.

Rowe appears willing to do the hard yards to make it. Watson hasn't been so far.
Jones is the interesting question. He has demonstrated that he can be very handy, but his best and his worst are too far apart and his worst is on display most of the time. We have given him a 3 year contract: that is a serious error in judgment. Don't know what we can do about that.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #103
I really would give Watson a chance under our present game plan. It is working more effectively, so one can never know. I doubt he is going to make it at this point, because you are right: he doesn't work hard enough. But I would give him a chance and not just one week.

Spot it with the logical statements would you?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #104

Cripps just wants to play CHB ;D