Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Sydney at Etihad (Read 60097 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Sydney at Etihad

Reply #180
Not a bad effort tonight and probably a fairly true reflection of where we'll be this season.
Key forwards are gold, Sydney and most of the other good sides have a couple and we have none.
Docherty was very good, Boekhurst seems to be finding his feet, Lamb looked OK in patches, Thomas went hard and never gave up, Graham was busy and Cripps looks to be at or above last season's level.
Still too many scrubbers though.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #181
Cripps - He's a monster. Ability to get the handball out under pressure is awesome.

JW - has he been playing AFL for the last five years, because it looks like he has

Boekhorst - Best game I've seen him play.  Put in four quarters

Nicky G - MM was going to get rid of him. Has gone to the next level.

Kerridge - At the moment we got the better of the Menzel / Kerridge deal.

Thomas - tried hard all night.  Can't kick.

Buckley - Looks great.  A key player for us.

White - Remains a tried and true Northern Blue.

Rowe - he was OK in the second half but if we had anyone else...

Gorringe - no, doesn't have it.

Phillips - needs to get more of the ball around the ground but he will be 2nd ruck

Krooz - I hope and pray he is injury free

Bolt - needs to do more when he's not clunking them.  His body worked dropped off as well

Wright - smart footballer, good pick up

Simo - nothing special. Did his thing.

Gibbs - did the bare minimum.

Curnow - one of the best taggers in the league.

Jamison - happy with his effort

2E - apart from a couple of errors was good

Whiley - takes too long to make decisions. 

Everitt - awful

Walker - very rusty. 

Lamb - tried hard, had his moments.  Would play him Round 1.

Reply #182
From where I was sitting Thomas looked cooked - and no wonder with the bake he got from a bloke sitting in front of me.  He did show glimpses but he's a shadow of the player he was.  Jamison is not far behind him.

Phillips showed a bit more but Gorringe did very little.  I don't think we can persevere with him.

It was a reasonably entertaining game and we certainly matched it with the Swans for long periods.  I thought that their poise and execution more than compensated for our harder tackling and ability to retain possession.

Weitering is going to be a star.  Boekhorst and Graham are really coming on and Kerridge is a great pick up.

I reckon we'll give Richmond a real contest.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #183
Cripps - He's a monster. Ability to get the handball out under pressure is awesome.

JW - has he been playing AFL for the last five years, because it looks like he has

Boekhorst - Best game I've seen him play.  Put in four quarters

Nicky G - MM was going to get rid of him. Has gone to the next level.

Kerridge - At the moment we got the better of the Menzel / Kerridge deal.

Thomas - tried hard all night.  Can't kick.

Buckley - Looks great.  A key player for us.

White - Remains a tried and true Northern Blue.

Rowe - he was OK in the second half but if we had anyone else...

Gorringe - no, doesn't have it.

Phillips - needs to get more of the ball around the ground but he will be 2nd ruck

Krooz - I hope and pray he is injury free

Bolt - needs to do more when he's not clunking them.  His body worked dropped off as well

Wright - smart footballer, good pick up

Simo - nothing special. Did his thing.

Gibbs - did the bare minimum.

Curnow - one of the best taggers in the league.

Jamison - happy with his effort

2E - apart from a couple of errors was good

Whiley - takes too long to make decisions. 

Everitt - awful

Walker - very rusty. 

Lamb - tried hard, had his moments.  Would play him Round 1.
Most of it was spot how I saw it but:
Lamb was awful
Gibbs was awful, Im concerned.
2E was ok carrying the footy and kicking, was terrible defending.
Rowe apart from a couple of nice spoils in the second half was terrible.
Levi looked like he was not confident at all.
BB was BOG for us.
As I said during the game, we give away too many frees and turn the ball over too much on our HB line which result in too mangy goals.
We seriously lack fwds who can kick straight.
But overall, the sprouts as BB calls them are there.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #184
Just got back from the game... tiny crowd!

When we finally started playing half way through the second quarter, the pressure we were applying was palpable. We won the game from that point but gee some silly mistakes cost us.

I really thought we only had 3 duds for the night - Casboult, Everitt and Walker. Walks will be better for the hit out. Put 2 'real' tall forwards into our side and a lot would change pretty quickly. Can't see Whiley making it. Best I've seen from Curnow, has added another dimension to his game.

Loved Kerridge and Cripps. Patch there in the 3rd qtr where Weitering and Franklin were pitted against each on three successive occasions, 23 won all three contests. He's beginning to remind me of a bigger Bruce Doull.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #185
Going to be a long year with no forward line and going to get very frustrating watching the ball rebound out after our mids have worked so hard...thought Graham took another step forward tonight to becoming a very good player.
Boekhorst played his best game so far for the club and Weitering looks like a 300 game player.....

Kerridge looks like a steal and could be our leading goalkicker the way things are looking....its a pity Foster hasnt shown anything as we need a leading FF who can give us
some structure down forward....

Not a bad effort though tonight and at least we were not blown away and hung on when it looked like we were going to get hammered...

Good summary EB. We have the basis to build on going forward and we should get better this year as our guys get used to the new game plan and structures. We definitely are showing more of an idea with our approach but skills still let us down at key times.

The forward structure, as we already knew, is the biggest problem and we have just got to find a better approach for this year with those we have on our list. It has got to be a first priority in terms of recruiting going forward. Levi was a bit disappointing tonight IMO and 1AW definitely looked rusty. Very encouraging game from Boekhorst IMO, but Daisy is definitely struggling despite the effort he put in tonight. Weitering looks like becoming an absolute beauty!

We look like we have turned the corner and hopefully we can win a few games this year but definitely have a long road ahead of us. As one of the commentators said though, the club will be ruthless with those that don't demonstrate the required level of progress and adaptation to the required playing style.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #186
We look like we have turned the corner and hopefully we can win a few games this year but definitely have a long road ahead of us. As one of the commentators said though, the club will be ruthless with those that don't demonstrate the required level of progress and adaptation to the required playing style.

I'd be surprised if we don't turn over at least a dozen players at the end of this season.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #187
I'd be surprised if we don't turn over at least a dozen players at the end of this season.

Would not be surprised at a largish number either B4L but some of the names could well surprise.  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #188
Matt Wright has earned a round spot IMO...tackles well for a smaller player and like Kerridge seems to know what to do with the football...

Gorringe vs Philips......like watching two heavyweight boxers stagger around a ring and not lay a glove on each other...wasnt impressed with either.
Philips probably has more idea about rucking but neither impressed me when down forward...the AFL website said they were both competitive??..didnt agree..

Jed Lamb...dropped marks and was generally hopeless IMO and I expected more from him vs one of his old teams...

Daisy...give him his due he tried hard and did a lot of work at the coalface and seems to lay a few tackles...still cant kick over a jam jar but he had a go...

Sam Rowe...a few grunt moments where he made some spoils but seems out of touch....if he gets Vickery or Griffths in Rnd 1 he might be leaking some goals...

Everitt...nada..

Reply #189
From where I was sitting Thomas looked cooked - and no wonder with the bake he got from a bloke sitting in front of me.  He did show glimpses but he's a shadow of the player he was.  Jamison is not far behind him.

Phillips showed a bit more but Gorringe did very little.  I don't think we can persevere with him.

It was a reasonably entertaining game and we certainly matched it with the Swans for long periods.  I thought that their poise and execution more than compensated for our harder tackling and ability to retain possession.

Weitering is going to be a star.  Boekhorst and Graham are really coming on and Kerridge is a great pick up.

I reckon we'll give Richmond a real contest.

lOT OF BIG CALLS BEING MADE AFTER 3 scratch matches.

Murph in, Gibbs and Walker perform.....Plowman in......

Everitt gets a roasting and starts trying - we win that game?

Control the middle you inevitably win.

Tonight showed we can match it (and more) with the Swans in the middle...

I reckon BB is a happy man tonight.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #190
I thought lamb was ok.

Maybe I had lower expectations.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #191
The good thing about tonight's performance was it was the kids/ newbies in Graham, Cripps, Kerridge and Boekhorst who were our better players.
In the past, its been all about Judd, Murphy and Gibbs having to do well to jeep us in the contest.
Kruez looks like he's picked up where he left off at the end of last year.
Weitering looks like a gem of a #1 Pick
I think Levi will never be anything more than an average trier. Now into his 7th season on our list, and still has issues with his kicking.
Rowe and Everitt wont be around by 2018.

Reply #192
The good thing about tonight's performance was it was the kids/ newbies in Graham, Cripps, Kerridge and Boekhorst who were our better players.
In the past, its been all about Judd, Murphy and Gibbs having to do well to jeep us in the contest.
Kruez looks like he's picked up where he left off at the end of last year.
Weitering looks like a gem of a #1 Pick
I think Levi will never be anything more than an average trier. Now into his 7th season on our list, and still has issues with his kicking.
Rowe and Everitt wont be around by 2018.

judge these blokes after 4-6 rounds not after pre season drivel.

if everitt kicks 30 odd for the season, he's earnt his pay?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #193
Kerridge, Boek and Cripps were fantastic. worked their butts off. What a pickup Kerridge is... and Menzel can't get a game for the Crows.

Graham was really good but made a couple of massive mistakes. Curnow had a much better game.

Kreuz had a shocker - fumbled everything, didn't take a mark. Very out of character. Hopefully just blowing out some cobwebs.

We desperately need either C Curnow, Jaksch or eventually McKay to play in the forward line. Gorringe plus a resting ruckman aint filling the opposition with fear.

I don't see anything in Gorringe so far and I'd still rate Wood a better player than Phillips.

Seriously happy about Wright also. What a solid, hard-working, strong-tackling player. Wish we could clone him. Cripps likewise.

Reply #194
The midfield will basically be Murphy and Cripps providing class, Curnow stopping and Graham the in and under, none of which is any improvement on Murphy/Judd, Curnow and Carratts and we're missing Tommy Bell's attack and goal kicking nous.
The back half is OK, Rowe and White are battlers at best but Jamison, Tuohy and Docherty can hold their own with most and Weitering looks to be something special.
The front half is woeful, Casboult is a very limited footballer, Everitt is Sydney or the bush and we don't have even the semblance of a classy small forward.
It's going to be a long road and it will be 5 years at least.