Skip to main content
Topic: Dobermans (Read 14755 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Dobermans

Reply #60

The breeder of my dog imported sires from Norway to expand the genetic base and that was encouraging.

I to think that importing a breeder from Norway would be very encouraging.

Reply #61
Mrs DJC agreed to visit and feed her friend's two aged, smelly little fur balls while she's away and I have to accompany her to manage the tricky locks.  They are not dogs that I could warm to but they are friendly enough and appreciate being fed and having some company.

This morning we discovered that the friend's daughter had visited and left George the Bulldog there.  We don't know George and he wasn't happy that there were strangers trying to get into the house.  I didn't want to force the issue and end up with George latched on to my leg so we beat a retreat and left the dogs to fend for themselves until their owner gets back later today.

Seeing George reminded me of the stuffed Bulldog I used to walk past when I worked in the Museum.  He was a champion show dog from the late 19th or early 20th century and looked nothing like today's Bulldogs being larger with longer legs and better developed hindquarters.

There's an interesting website that shows how dog breeds have been compromised by breeders wishing to emphasise particular features:

https://dogbehaviorscience.wordpress.com/2012/09/29/100-years-of-breed-improvement/

Bull Terriers' heads have become egg-shaped and German Shepherds' hindquarters have become unnaturally sloped.  The latter "desirable attribute" has affected the gait, mobility and health of dogs bred to that standard.  My nephew (not the one with the Miniature Pinscher) has a black German Shepherd with normal hindquarters and it is a wonderfully athletic dog.  The people who are breeding for exaggerated features should be booted out of the industry. 

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #62
Mrs DJC agreed to visit and feed her friend's two aged, smelly little fur balls while she's away and I have to accompany her to manage the tricky locks.  They are not dogs that I could warm to but they are friendly enough and appreciate being fed and having some company.

This morning we discovered that the friend's daughter had visited and left George the Bulldog there.  We don't know George and he wasn't happy that there were strangers trying to get into the house.  I didn't want to force the issue and end up with George latched on to my leg so we beat a retreat and left the dogs to fend for themselves until their owner gets back later today.

Seeing George reminded me of the stuffed Bulldog I used to walk past when I worked in the Museum.  He was a champion show dog from the late 19th or early 20th century and looked nothing like today's Bulldogs being larger with longer legs and better developed hindquarters.

There's an interesting website that shows how dog breeds have been compromised by breeders wishing to emphasise particular features:

https://dogbehaviorscience.wordpress.com/2012/09/29/100-years-of-breed-improvement/

Bull Terriers' heads have become egg-shaped and German Shepherds' hindquarters have become unnaturally sloped.  The latter "desirable attribute" has affected the gait, mobility and health of dogs bred to that standard.  My nephew (not the one with the Miniature Pinscher) has a black German Shepherd with normal hindquarters and it is a wonderfully athletic dog.  The people who are breeding for exaggerated features should be booted out of the industry.

Thank you, DJC, really interesting reading.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17