Skip to main content
Topic: Ben Cousins Jailed (Read 13823 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ben Cousins Jailed

Reply #15
Wonder if it ever pricks Worsfolds conscience , captained Mainwaring coached Cousins stuck his head in the sand with both. Strong leaders are more than just belting blokes in the back of the head. Allowed Mainwaring to become Cousins party mentor got a flag but at what human cost. Death and addiction sad wasted lives. Hope cousins gets help but in Perth he is still on a huge pedestal..

Reply #16
Mate, I know it seems like that, but you do not understand the illness of addiction. Saying he doesn't want to quit drugs is like saying to someone with asthma that they should just take a deep breath to breathe properly. This is the battle of those of us who work in this area, trying to help people understand that mental illness is the same as a physiological illness... just the brain, not lungs, or pancreas, or kidneys...

Addiction is right there with depression, anxiety... bla bla bla. Maybe if I put it this way... when the ticker plays up, we get pain and numbness... when the lungs play up we get shortness of breath, when the intestines play up we get digestive issues... get the gist? Well, the brain is just another organ in our bod, and when it plays up, when it's chemical balance is disrupted, when its synapses are broken, we get... serious behavior /  personality issues.

Addiction is an actual illness. It takes over the sufferers brain. He's not making a choice to be a d1ckhead, his illness is controlling his choices, though, there comes a time when the person has to say, 'I want to fight this illness', which means they have to admit they have it... and when it comes to mental illness we all find it hard to admit such a thing due to social stigma. We've a long way to go re social stigma. E.g. got cancer (physical illness)... oh, sh1t you poor bugger... got depression (mental illness), very, very different story (re response).

Look, there is a huge slippery slope we can open up here.

A serial killer probably has a few things wrong with his brain too. Doesn't mean i have any sympathy for him though.

Reply #17
It beggars belief that those in charge didn't know what was going on, and methinks a blind eye was turned because the on field results were good.

The AFL should have stepped in a taken charge but they don't have the cojones.  I realise that class A drugs are metabolized quickly, but seriously, all those tests and no positives? Really?

Would have been nice for the AFL if it all went away, but once Pandora's box is opened...
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #18
Ben Cousins arrested and remanded in custody again. Cousins faces 16 charges including aggravated burglary, aggravated stalking and possessing a prohibited drug with intent to sell or supply.

Poor bugger, his life is a mess and sadly he is probably safest in jail.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ben-cousins-arrested-on-drug-charges-in-perth/news-story/8d04cd17483f7f44d9d57112c4113ad7
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #19
He seems either unable or unwilling to learn from his past misdemeanours.

There is only so much that other people can do to help a person. At some point, that person must do their bit to contribute to the process. It's just not possible any other way.

Sad story - his parents and other loved ones must be at their wits end - he seems almost beyond repair.

Reply #20
Not the first person to have their life ruined by ice....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #21
It's a cold and stark reminder of how far one can fall and how many chances one must be given.

Reply #22
Sorry, as somebody who has been on the wrong end of junkie violence,  F him.  How many chances does this menace get? 13 g is trafficable quantities, chuck the book at him, no more excuses.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #23
Sorry, as somebody who has been on the wrong end of junkie violence,  F him.  How many chances does this menace get? 13 g is trafficable quantities, chuck the book at him, no more excuses.
Agree
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #24
Not the first person to have their life ruined by ice....

What a sad, sorry tale. Yes, ice ruins brains but sadly the person with the Fckd up brain usually fcks up others before themselves. Sorry, but this bloke must be incarcerated long term to protect the community and him.

If only our prison system wasn't a revolving door... he'll meet other crims and cycle will likely continue. But that's a whole separate subject.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #25
A lot of sympathy has been expended on Ben over the years. It has made no difference seemingly to his chosen trajectory in life. All I can do is wish him the best of luck because it's now all up him as to what he makes of the rest of his time on this planet.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #26
A lot of sympathy has been expended on Ben over the years. It has made no difference seemingly to his chosen trajectory in life. All I can do is wish him the best of luck because it's now all up him as to what he makes of the rest of his time on this planet.
Its what we said last time though. It seems the only way to keep him (and those associated with him) safe is to jail him for a decent amount of time.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #27
Its what we said last time though. It seems the only way to keep him (and those associated with him) safe is to jail him for a decent amount of time.

Could well be true and it is certainly a way to keep others safe from him.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #28
Unfortunately it’s only a matter of time before we read the other headline....

Reply #29
Part of the difficulty is that the person with the addiction/issues needs to want to be cured more than to give up their current life.  There are many people who have a high likelihood of spending some time in accommodation courtesy of the Queen.  They know the outcome and really hate the idea of gaol.  They have many opportunities to enter rehab facilities, attend counselling etc. that aren't taken up - why?  They're not ready to give up the lifestyle that they lead, for some reason.  You can only give them so many opportunities...