Skip to main content
Topic: Dual citizens in Parliament (Read 6993 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Dual citizens in Parliament

Reply #15
If your parents barracked for the Bummers would that make you a Bummer supporter by descent??  :o
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #16
If your parents barracked for the Bummers would that make you a Bummer supporter by descent??  :o

Not this little Navy Blue duck, I renounced my alliegance a long time ago...
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #17

But did you get the official paperwork A?  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #18
Sarah Hanson Young cant be removed from parliament can she?...she has a double barrelled name is that close enough for dual citizenship......? ;)

Reply #19

+1 dad was a bomber, mum was indifferent, but grandfather on that side was a Hawk.

I went straight to the Navy Blue!
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #20
The purpose is to try to ensure that our elected representatives don't have allegiance to any other country.  I think that the requirement is eminently sensible and it shouldn't be hard for those who put their hands up for election to ensure that they have renounced any other citizenship.  If they can't manage that, they shouldn't be in parliament.

Of course, as we have seen recently, China has been able obtain allegiance from some parliamentarians by offering financial inducements, donations etc.  That should be a sackable offence too.

What a load of crap really.

I haven't taken up my eligibility to Greek citizenship and I could qualify, but never bothered.

Ive also married a migrant from the European Union which therefore could qualify me for dual citizenship.

I could serve in parliament and then take up foreign citizenship easily enough, but either way it wont change the way I feel about my nation of birth, vs other nations I have any allegiance to.

At the end of the day, the world has changed and this is an archaic rule based on a non multicultural society which we have become.

I think dual citizenship shouldnt be a deal breaker here.  It just doesnt make sense for a fledgling nation and so much migration.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #21
In the height of irony.......John Alexander will have to re-contest his seat against someone who was actually born in another country & lived there a fair chunk of her life (Kristina Keneally).....

Ridiculous.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #22
It's fun to watch conservatives being bitten by their own guard dog: a constitution written when we were a colony of the UK, air travel didn't exist, and there were no cars in Australia.

They have always urged that the Constitution should be read strictly and no attempt should be made to interpret it according to modern circumstances.  They should be happy that they've got their way.  Of course the result is ridiculous, but at least it might give them some food for thought.

Don't expect them to give up their attempts to invoke the Old Testament, written over 2 Millenia ago, to oppose newfangled concepts like same sex marriage.

And don't expect conservatives in the US to accept that a bunch of wig-wearing slave owners in 1788 might not be the bastions of wisdom when it comes to things like gun-rights.

Reply #23

I haven't taken up my eligibility to Greek citizenship and I could qualify, but never bothered.

Ive also married a migrant from the European Union which therefore could qualify me for dual citizenship.

I could serve in parliament and then take up foreign citizenship easily enough, but either way it wont change the way I feel about my nation of birth, vs other nations I have any allegiance to.

At the end of the day, the world has changed and this is an archaic rule based on a non multicultural society which we have become.

I think dual citizenship shouldnt be a deal breaker here.  It just doesnt make sense for a fledgling nation and so much migration.

I disagree Thry.

Banning folk with allegiance to a foreign power from standing for parliament was a good move at the end of the 19th century and it is equally valid now.  If someone wants to stand for parliament, they should renounce all other allegiances.  It is the Australian parliament, not the Australian-Scottish parliament or whatever other country folk may have ties to.  Section 44 has only been in force for 116 years and I reckon that's plenty of time for those who want to lead to know that they have to sort out their citizenship.

To me it's like someone saying, "I barrack for Carlton, but I also support Richmond."

However, I think that the US constitution goes too far in banning non-natural born citizens from running for president.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #24
It's beyond the joke now.
We need an election.

John Alexander has now resigned but all the dual citizens still haven't been shaken out.

All legislation passed is under a cloud.
That would include any legislation passed after the SSM plebiscite is determined.

A friend who is a bit left-field at the best of times suggested this whole saga is being played out and dragged out deliberately. What is getting pushed through parliament quietly while all this nonsense is being played out publicly?

Misdirection?

Reply #25
A friend who is a bit left-field at the best of times suggested this whole saga is being played out and dragged out deliberately. What is getting pushed through parliament quietly while all this nonsense is being played out publicly?

Misdirection?

There's a pretty simple way to find out:

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Bills_Legislation

We may have some dodgy politicians but our parliamentary systems are quite robust and transparent.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #26

I agree, its a crock of crape.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #27
What makes this such a nonsense is that over the years there must have been hundreds of Parliamentarians who have gone through their entire political careers as dual citizens and therefore ineligible to sit.
Menzies' grandfather was Scottish, Fraser's Canadian further back there is probably more PM's with dubious nationality...Billy Hughes parents were Welsh.
It's a farce :(

Reply #28
Sarah Hanson Young cant be removed from parliament can she?...she has a double barrelled name is that close enough for dual citizenship......? ;)

That would be the little known Section 44 (xxiii) which reads something along the lines of people owing allegiance to two surnames being ineligible ????

I'm sure that Sarah is a nice person but she has a very annoying way about her.

Reply #29
That would be the little known Section 44 (xxiii) which reads something along the lines of people owing allegiance to two surnames being ineligible ????

I'm sure that Sarah is a nice person but she has a very annoying way about her.

Annoying she is....When I see her and Pauline trading verbal blows I fear for the future of the country....