Skip to main content
Topic: Another School Shooting in the US (Read 13732 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Another School Shooting in the US

Reply #45
My Daughter who lives out West in Melbourne has just called us to say there was a home invasion a street away from hers, Sudanese young blokes with base ball bats and crow bars. Given the police are 20 mins-30 mins away and usually flat out some of the neighbors in the street are suggesting its not so safe in Victoria and arming themselves might be an alternative. She already had an issue another time with a couple of similar types hanging around her car which was parked in the driveway about 9pm at night, they ran away when her partner and their two German Shepherds appeared after having their evening walk.
They found out later they had smashed a couple of other cars in the street and tried to steal a few as well....the police of course rocked up after the event.
Its like being in South Africa  in some areas rather than Australia and its only a matter of time before someone does shoot at these scum who think terrifying people in their homes is acceptable.

Reply #46
My Daughter who lives out West in Melbourne has just called us to say there was a home invasion a street away from hers, Sudanese young blokes with base ball bats and crow bars. Given the police are 20 mins-30 mins away and usually flat out some of the neighbors in the street are suggesting its not so safe in Victoria and arming themselves might be an alternative. She already had an issue another time with a couple of similar types hanging around her car which was parked in the driveway about 9pm at night, they ran away when her partner and their two German Shepherds appeared after having their evening walk.
They found out later they had smashed a couple of other cars in the street and tried to steal a few as well....the police of course rocked up after the event.
Its like being in South Africa  in some areas rather than Australia and its only a matter of time before someone does shoot at these scum who think terrifying people in their homes is acceptable.

Just been reading about the situation in Italy where some of the African migrants are beginning to get distinctly nervous as the anger and antipathy of the locals rise. The recent case of the murder of a young woman by an African migrant has highlighted this. It triggered a revenge attack by an Italian man that has been praised by some, especially by the girls parents. Very very concerning imo as to how subsequent events may unfold.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #47
One farmer found it very coincidental that he was robbed of his firearms shortly after a routine inspection. This is the type of stuff I am really concerned about.

I've heard that Vicpol is keeping the theft of firearms quiet as they search for the culprits.

I'd also heard a rumor a while back that there is a possibility that the licensing database had been hacked but that the claim is the data is/was encrypted. Maybe it has been hacked and the data is wide open! :o If true then the problem isn't some bunch of immigrant kids, it has to be organised.

There are some rumors floating around about "Eastern European" types, I'm reading this as Russian organised crime, recruiting drug addicted teenagers some of which will be African immigrants.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48
I've heard that Vicpol is keeping the theft of firearms quiet as they search for the culprits.

I'd also heard a rumor a while back that there is a possibility that the licensing database had been hacked but that the claim is the data is/was encrypted. Maybe it has been hacked and the data is wide open! :o If true then the problem isn't some bunch of immigrant kids, it has to be organised.

There are some rumors floating around about "Eastern European" types, I'm reading this as Russian organised crime, recruiting drug addicted teenagers some of which will be African immigrants.

Romania is where the trafficking of guns starts for Australia........a lot of collectors have working WW11 weapons etc, in America its worse, the collectors could start a small war...you look on youtube and you see these weekend Ted Nugent clones/warriors playing with their MG42's etc ...

Reply #49
Just been reading about the situation in Italy where some of the African migrants are beginning to get distinctly nervous as the anger and antipathy of the locals rise. The recent case of the murder of a young woman by an African migrant has highlighted this. It triggered a revenge attack by an Italian man that has been praised by some, especially by the girls parents. Very very concerning imo as to how subsequent events may unfold.

A lot of people focus on Trump, but world politics has been moving to the right for a good while. Racist, tit for tat revenge attacks solve nothing.

Reply #50

Read same and also about the homeless in Italy including the elderly....cutting Italian pensions to pay for the influx of illegal migrants hasnt helped the mood either....
Watched a doco about Sweden and was shocked to see they have  similar problems with the police unwilling to go to certain areas of the bigger cities due to the fear of being attacked by African migrants....this is where you get local nutters taking things into their own hands and starting trouble...

Reply #51
Got to be very careful about what you read, a lot of these stories are deliberately highlighted for political purposes.

I was in a location a while back that was being reported on Melbourne news as being in lock down due to rioting locals. My missus called worried by the news because she knew I was close to the site, in fact I could look out my hotel window right at the central park which was supposed to be a riot zone. I saw blue skies, green grass and people walking their dogs! ;)

I have no idea where the footage reported in Melbourne came from but it wasn't from where they reported. It's no accident those stories were being run at the same time the local media were pushing the anti-immigration angle.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
Read same and also about the homeless in Italy including the elderly....cutting Italian pensions to pay for the influx of illegal migrants hasnt helped the mood either....
Watched a doco about Sweden and was shocked to see they have  similar problems with the police unwilling to go to certain areas of the bigger cities due to the fear of being attacked by African migrants....this is where you you get local nutters taking things into their own hands and starting trouble...

Apparently Malmo is particularly bad but few reports come through the MSM. Also plenty of similar trouble going down in parts of Paris but again few reports in the MSM.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #54
Looks like the Swiss have everyone covered again, tennis, firearms they lead the way...

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/switzerland-stunningly-high-rate-gun-042600482.html

Hmm, clearly culture and attitudes play a big part in the differences between the 2 countries. I suspect socio economic factors also play a part.

I still don't like the idea of mass gun ownership, irrespective of the maturity, common sense or wealth of the culture.  

Reply #55
Hmm, clearly culture and attitudes play a big part in the differences between the 2 countries. I suspect socio economic factors also play a part.

I still don't like the idea of mass gun ownership, irrespective of the maturity, common sense or wealth of the culture.

Take your point on mass gun ownership but a Homicide rate of zero is hard to argue against....Swiss are also very fussy who they let into their
country on a permanent basis, no doubt a culture for the more well to do who dont like change..

Reply #56
Looks like the Swiss have everyone covered again, tennis, firearms they lead the way...

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/switzerland-stunningly-high-rate-gun-042600482.html
Without reading the article there are some issues that highlight the difference between the US and Switzerland.

Switzerland has a high level of gun ownership because it has mandatory national service for men and everyone gets to keep the rifle or small arms they were issued with after service is complete. Many homes have a gun of some sort, just one usually. In a time of conflict they can be called up to service at any time, until they are middle aged at which time they may be required to form the home/national guard in times of war.

Secondly the weapons they are issued with are generally single shot sniper type rifles or small arms, they are not all issued with SIG semi-automatics. I believe there has been a change, or proposed change, to disallow the retention of the semi-automatic weapons at the end of service.

Thirdly, you cannot carry firearms in public concealed or in the open, in Switzerland it's illegal to carry firearms of any sort in public. In the US I've sat in bars were people are wearing handguns like Hollywood cowboys or shoulder holsters like Dirty Harry!

Swiss police, care of national service, are all heavily trained, do not wear sunglasses at night and  are respected by the general public!

Perhaps the US should introduce national service as a pre-requirement for gun ownership!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #57
Take your point on mass gun ownership but a Homicide rate of zero is hard to argue against....Swiss are also very fussy who they let into their
country on a permanent basis, no doubt a culture for the more well to do who dont like change..

Yes, I guess a 0% rate is hard to argue against, but it still feels like a ticking time bomb to me......

The other point re letting or not letting people in is a huge, meaty topic that too often veers into easy racism, so I say proceed with caution.

Reply #58
Without reading the article there are some issues that highlight the difference between the US and Switzerland.

Switzerland has a high level of gun ownership because it has mandatory national service for men and everyone gets to keep the rifle or small arms they were issued with after service is complete. Many homes have a gun of some sort, just one usually. In a time of conflict they can be called up to service at any time, until they are middle aged at which time they may be required to form the home/national guard in times of war.

Secondly the weapons they are issued with are generally single shot sniper type rifles or small arms, they are not all issued with SIG semi-automatics. I believe there has been a change, or proposed change, to disallow the retention of the semi-automatic weapons at the end of service.

Thirdly, you cannot carry firearms in public concealed or in the open, in Switzerland it's illegal to carry firearms of any sort in public. In the US I've sat in bars were people are wearing handguns like Hollywood cowboys or shoulder holsters like Dirty Harry!

Swiss police, care of national service, are all heavily trained, do not wear sunglasses at night and  are respected by the general public!

Perhaps the US should introduce national service as a pre-requirement for gun ownership!

Interesting points.

Reply #59

According to Planet America, the USA makes up 4% of the earth’s population yet 48% of the privately owned firearms on earth are in the USA.  I reckon that smashes the Swiss effort.  Firearm ownership in the USA is limited to a relatively small percentage of the population but gun owners often have many firearms.

And I have to comment on the claim by the POTUS that he would have charged into the school even if he was unarmed  :o Strong words from a bloke who had strings pulled to avoid the draft and Vietnam.  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball