Skip to main content
Topic: GM to dump Holden (Read 10710 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: GM to dump Holden

Reply #150
Honda used to be a revered name in the Aus car Industry, Japanese reliability etc etc...but now have embarked on a ridiculous
campaign to save the brand in Aus after the bean counters in Japan decided the numbers were not adding up.
Of the five models they have in Aus only three are selling at all and the numbers are dropping away quicker than a Great Wall utes value. They boldly claim you can buy a Honda at the same price in any dealership in Aus like they are doing you are a favour...in fact what they really mean is you cant negotiate a best price anymore and they are going to stitch you up for max price anywhere you go. They recently got rid of a few dealers here and in NZ and IMHO are heading down the same path as Holden.
Their shiny flagship is the CRV for about 50k top of the range...for the same money you can get a Mazda CX5 with 70% more power, and a decent 6 speed auto, not that horrible CVT shudder box that comes with the CRV.
In the USA they have the better built Acure which is like their version of Lexus to fall back on but here in Aus its just the CRV, HRV and Civic plus non sellers in the Accord and the Odyssey ...nothing too exciting about any of them and I can see Honda folding up in Aus sooner than later as the sales figures nose dive.

Reply #151
Id rather go Nissan than Honda.  They just make good cars.
Come on you Blue FLAGGERS!!

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #152
Id rather go Nissan than Honda.  They just make good cars.
Nissan were better without the Renault partnership IMHO, Honda used to make the best engines but have fallen behind tech wise and are very overpriced. I'd rather Toyota or Mazda but dont expect any special deals or freebies at Toyota either.
The value end of the market are the Korean cars like Kia, Hyundai but I wouldnt be keeping them past their warranty period and the seven year warranties are just a sales gimmick to hook you into 7 years of compulsory service costs which is where car dealers make their real money.

Reply #153
I'm thinking that we could re-vamp this thread as a general motor vehicle thread. 

Alternatively, and given the recent digression into reminiscing about favourite cars, would a separate classic/favourite cars thread be worthwhile?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #154
I'm thinking that we could re-vamp this thread as a general motor vehicle thread. 

Alternatively, and given the recent digression into reminiscing about favourite cars, would a separate classic/favourite cars thread be worthwhile?
Yeah great idea, separate classic/fave car thread.
2017 - 16th
2018 - Wooden Spoon
2019 - 16th
2020 - dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021 - Pi$$ or get off the pot