Skip to main content
Topic: The TV Thread (Read 12420 times) previous topic - next topic

The TV Thread

Tried looking for a TV thread and couldn't find one so here i am.

Addicted to Game of Thrones, only midway through season two and i'm hooked!

Worst show ever, Marvels Agents of Shield. Should be retitled to Marvels Agents of This Show Is F!@#$NG Crap!

Re: The TV Thread

Reply #1
My nomination for the most potentially socially damaging show is "Home and Away".  Last week I rock up to my finance's house, sitting at the table was her parents and aunty having an in depth serious discussion about the plight of some poor unfortunate individual. 15 mins into the discussion, feeling sympathy for the subject of their discussion , I asked who he was. FMD I almost fell off my chair when they answered with a serious tone, that it was one of the characters in Home and Away.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #2
My nomination for the most potentially socially damaging show is "Home and Away".  Last week I rock up to my finance's house, sitting at the table was her parents and aunty having an in depth serious discussion about the plight of some poor unfortunate individual. 15 mins into the discussion, feeling sympathy for the subject of their discussion , I asked who he was. FMD I almost fell off my chair when they answered with a serious tone, that it was one of the characters in Home and Away.

Gold mate. I would have thought about getting a refund for that ring you bought. One of the crapest shows ever. Aweful stuff >:D

Some of my favourite shows in recent years

Game of Thrones - excellent. Read the books first if you can. Well worth it.
Walking Dead - it's back!!
Vikings - think Elwood was appreciative of this one too. Good show.
Masters of Sex - excellent start to a new, well made show. Give it a go.
Sons of Anarchy - dragging on a bit now, but worth it
Breaking Bad - fantastic show. Classic, like Sopranos

Australian shows: ABCs Rake. I enjoyed that. Loved the lead character.
Keep the Faith

Reply #3
Breaking Bad is brilliant, up there with another favorite in Deadwood
Just started watching Boardwalk Empire, story line set in prohibition times in the states.

Reply #4
Breaking Bad is brilliant, up there with another favorite in Deadwood
Just started watching Boardwalk Empire, story line set in prohibition times in the states.

Thanks for reminding me. Need to look into Boardwalk again.

Also forgot to mention another excellent show : House of Cards
Keep the Faith

Reply #5
As mentioned above, Vikings is amazing, and Master's of Sex looks like it will be quite good.

The ABC series "It's a Date" was really good. Wasn't expecting too much given it was written by Pete Hillier, but it was really well written and some very memorable performances.

I am an absolute nut for Parks and Recreation. I just love that show, my absolute favourite.

Reply #6
Also check out Justified
Well made series, with 4 seasons completed so far
 Season 5 due early next year

Reply #7
As mentioned above, Vikings is amazing, and Master's of Sex looks like it will be quite good.

The ABC series "It's a Date" was really good. Wasn't expecting too much given it was written by Pete Hillier, but it was really well written and some very memorable performances.

I am an absolute nut for Parks and Recreation. I just love that show, my absolute favourite.
Dude, Parks and Rec is awesome!! Just watched the first 3 seasons and awaiting either the comedy channel to play 4 and 5 or i'm going to buy them. Season 6 should be out soon too! Archer seasons 3 and 4 are absolute classics also.

Reply #8
Im so disgusted with my prospective inlaws seemingly trance like dependence on TV, and the negative impact it's had on their ability to and willingness to engage in discussion, that I've devised an intervention plan. I've researched and found a digital TV signal remote controller disguised as a Car Key on a key chain. I would have purchased a digital signal scrambler but that's illegal so I'll stick with remote controller.  I've decided to covertly turn off the TV and or change channel so as to encourage my GF's mother to exercise by having to constantly get up to turn it back on. I'm sure after 20 mins of constantly turning off the TV remotely, they'll quickly revert to interaction and discussion.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #9

Dude, Parks and Rec is awesome!! Just watched the first 3 seasons and awaiting either the comedy channel to play 4 and 5 or i'm going to buy them. Season 6 should be out soon too! Archer seasons 3 and 4 are absolute classics also.

Season 6 of Parks and Rec is being aired in the States at the moment. Bout 4 eps in I think. Absolutely love that show. Ron Swanson is my 2nd favourite tv character of all time, behind Karen Walker from Will & Grace (interestingly Nick Offerman and Megan Mullally are married in real life).

Another great shows that was on NetFlix this year is Orange Is The New Black. Veep is another good comedy. And as far as Australian shows go, Wentworth is one of the best new dramas I've seen since season 1 of Underbelly.

Reply #10
Ron Swanson is just about my favourite character of all time.
I send my wife a Swanson quote at 7am every morning when I am on night shift to wake her up.

Reply #11
@deags Gold!

Reply #12
Haha that's amazing.

Reply #13
Classic Ron.

Reply #14
 ;D ;D ;D ;D