Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW R7 - Carlton vs Fremantle @Ikon - Sun 1:10pm (Read 3585 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW R7 - Carlton vs Fremantle @Ikon - Sun 1:10pm

Reply #30
Indeed. We have done what we could, but it hurts. We really should have won. We were the better team on the day. Unfortunately, when it counted in the last quarter, we couldn't produce. That has been consistent this year; our last quarters have been ordinary.

I'll comment more later, when I can get access to the stats.
Didnt watch it as I was out, I saw on the news we led all day only to lose it at the end. That's gut wrenching.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #31
Didnt watch it as I was out, I saw on the news we led all day only to lose it at the end. That's gut wrenching.
it is true, but wind had a factor....we had it early, they had it last

Reply #32

Quick score, Gee roves off the back and doesn't miss.

All I'll say is if Betts, Fisher, Fogarty or Martin can read the ball of the pack like Gee did, we'll be in good shape!  That goal was straight out of the manual!!

Reply #33
All I'll say is if Betts, Fisher, Fogarty or Martin can read the ball of the pack like Gee did, we'll be in good shape!  That goal was straight out of the manual!!
Best #19 in a Carlton jumper?
Gee or Betts?

Reply #35
In terms of current form and current output, definitely Gee. Beyond that, it doesn't make sense to compare a part time female in a new competition with a male counterpart. But nobody will catch Betts - in the conversation as the best small forward of all time.

Reply #36
That was disappointing!

I thought that we were the better team, but some errors and poor decisions in the last quarter gave Freo a sniff.  With the wind at their backs, the Freo girls took full advantage.

Once again, the game was marred by inconsistent and inexplicable umpiring decisions.  Two incidents stood out for me.  Tayla Harris had a 50m penalty awarded against her for late but inconsequential contact after her opponent marked and quite rightly.  Later in the game, Mua Laloifi copped a deliberate knee in the kidneys well after she completed a mark and was obviously in pain but there was no penalty.  Several 50m penalties for encroaching on the protected area were missed but we got pinged.  I’m not suggesting that the umpiring cost us the game but the look of the game would be improved if umpires were more consistent and decisive. 

I think that Grace Egan has been one of our better performers all season but there is one aspect of her game that really bugs me.  She seems to lack awareness that she is about to be tackled and, when she is tackled, makes no attempt to dispose of the ball.  She is a bit like Ed Curnow who is often pinged for not making an attempt.  I hope that our coaches encourage her to give the ball off before she is tackled and teach her how to get a handball or kick away when tackled.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #37
In terms of current form and current output, definitely Gee. Beyond that, it doesn't make sense to compare a part time female in a new competition with a male counterpart. But nobody will catch Betts - in the conversation as the best small forward of all time.
Long term across the board, Carlton and Crows, then I agree.

But I don't think Betts has done enough exclusively in the Carlton #19 to better Pearce, it was a huge mistake not re-signing Betts when we let him go. Opposition fans will laugh at us for decades, I'm just hoping CheatsFC suffer the same fate with Fantasia and Daniher to at least shut them up!

btw., A nice way for Betts to end, a typical Betts goal in the dying moments to defeat CheatsFC, a Fraser Brown moment then a legend forever. Mic drop, and leave the building!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #38
Hmm, I'm not sure LP. Pearce definitely played some good games for us, but on field I think Betts has him covered. And when you factor in all the crap he has to deal with from moron fans, his dodgy childhood, his marketability, his longevity, his mentoring of younger indigenous players etc., it's just not a contest IMO.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=I&tid1=4&playerStatus2=A&tid2=4&type=A&pid1=840&pid2=1547&fid1=C&fid2=C

Reply #39
If I could post one more thing, as we are drifting off topic. Compare Pearce's team mates with Eddie's and compare the state of the club during their respective eras.

Reply #40
If I could post one more thing, as we are drifting off topic. Compare Pearce's team mates with Eddie's and compare the state of the club during their respective eras.

Eddie is an enthusiastic supporter of the AFLW and I think that he has attended all of our games ... and the Crows AFLW games when he was in Adelaide.  So there is a tenuous link  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #41
Brad Pearce.
Youre taking the P I S S right?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time