Skip to main content
Topic: Movie & TV thread... (Read 12640 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Movie thread...

Reply #75
To add a little more to why I liked Splice - DNA intervention movies, if well acted and even a little plausible, really get me in. And Splice was all of those. The journey that Dren took them on, morally and scientifically, was really well done. Great imagination from the creator/writer. I wrote a novel with a few vaguely similar concepts and all things being equal, it will come out next year... my editor recommended turning it into a screenplay... so I did a screenplay intensive course a few years back - such a different medium. Can't wait to get into it once finishing my present project.
OK.
Congrats on the novel.

Yeah, i first watched Splice simply for the director, Vincenzo Natali. Saw Splice as part of MIFF and loved it.
Saw it a couple of times since then, and it doesn't have quite the same impact.....but first viewing blew me away.

His movies are worth watching, especially those he has written and directed. Splice, Cube, Nothing.....and i haven't seen his latest one In The Tall Grass yet.

With all that in mind....and along similar lines to Ex Machina you should watch "Morgan". You'll like that one too.

Reply #76
OK.
Congrats on the novel.

Yeah, i first watched Splice simply for the director, Vincenzo Natali. Saw Splice as part of MIFF and loved it.
Saw it a couple of times since then, and it doesn't have quite the same impact.....but first viewing blew me away.

His movies are worth watching, especially those he has written and directed. Splice, Cube, Nothing.....and i haven't seen his latest one In The Tall Grass yet.

With all that in mind....and along similar lines to Ex Machina you should watch "Morgan". You'll like that one too.

Yep, some movies definitely are better left to a single viewing. I recall the scene in Splice ***spoiler alert*** where the two other critters suddenly turned on each other in front of all the investors... but that was the only weakness, IMHO, in the script... though the reason for them suddenly turning on each other was great and plausible - think I might have had a small scene or two that hinted that all was not well with them but our lead characters ignored the warning due to the imperative of funding. Just thoughts.

Where will I find 'Morgan'? Went looking on Stan and Netflix last night but no joy... sounds intriguing.

Splice has been left wide open for a sequel... so many ways it could go!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #77
Thank you, GTC. A labour of love! Would have had the present project -- biblical supernatural thriller -- finished last year only good old PTSD floored me for a few months. Not complaining, just the way it is... on that, as an aside, helping out the RSL with the veterans suicide prevention task force - another passion.
Youre a selfless legend Baggers, chin up always with your battles and remember to take the time for yourself also.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #78
Where will I find 'Morgan'? Went looking on Stan and Netflix last night but no joy... sounds intriguing.
Its on Disney + at the moment. I think it used to be on Stan, must've just changed.

Reply #79
If youre interested in good Aussie drama, give Secret City a bash on Netflix. Great cast, centred around Parliament House Canberra, espionage, military stuff, brilliant.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #80
I like " Animal Kingdom" on Netflix....good USA series based on the Aussie Film,.....Bit of a Dexter fan too, new series coming out later in the year with Michael C Hall again in the main role.

Reply #81
I like " Animal Kingdom" on Netflix....good USA series based on the Aussie Film,.....Bit of a Dexter fan too, new series coming out later in the year with Michael C Hall again in the main role.
Animal Kingdom is excellent, been a Dexter fan since it started and cant wait for the new series. Have you red the books EB?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #83
May as well call this the netflix in lockdown topic.

Ill add the money heist to this one.  I really enjoyed watching Interstellar and think thats topical given our pandemic plight. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #84
GTC.. No I haven't read the books, do they differ much from the TV Series?
A little different actually, pretty good reads.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #85
Animal Kingdom is excellent, been a Dexter fan since it started and cant wait for the new series. Have you red the books EB?

Dexter was a great show imo. I will be fascinated to see the new series bearing in mind how the last one ended.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #86
I was onto dexter from season 2 when a girl at work said I reminded her of him.... but in a good way.

How can a serial killer be looked at in a good way?  I was intrigued, and watched and got hooked.

For the record, she meant it was that im reserved and never know what I'm actually thinking... which was spot on.

Reply #87
I was onto dexter from season 2 when a girl at work said I reminded her of him.... but in a good way.

How can a serial killer be looked at in a good way?  I was intrigued, and watched and got hooked.

For the record, she meant it was that im reserved and never know what I'm actually thinking... which was spot on.
You don't own a boat and have rolls of plastic in the garage by any chance ;)

Reply #88
You don't own a boat and have rolls of plastic in the garage by any chance ;)
Owning a paper recycling factory does just as nicely, puts a whole new spin on your fish-n-chip wrapper or the Daily Rag!

And if you own a newspaper, where is the best place to identify your enemies, in the print of course! ;)

Also puts a whole new spin on the concept of being buried "In a cardboard box!", when they say "In", they really mean "In"!
The Force Awakens!