Skip to main content
Topic: Tesla electric car (Read 2825 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Tesla electric car

Reply #15
Autonomous tesla car runs straight into a tree, kills the two passengers and it took 120,000 litres of water to extinguish the battery flames.
Not great for vehicles that operate in a country like Aust.

Technically you can't extinguish lithium and other burning metals with water, they burn so hot they cause the H2O hydrogen and oxygen to disassociate and things get worse. Same for titanium and aluminium once they get to ignition temperature. Titanium is even worse because it reduces in nitrogen at a lower temperature than it reduces in oxygen. All they would have been doing is keeping the area shrouded/suppressed with spray to prevent noxious fumes until it burnt itself out, it's a bit stiff if you're a fish in a nearby creek!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
Not really, they were Americans.

As funny as that is, its hard to believe.

Even the most adventurous of technology adopters would ask the thing to move them from driveway to Street and round the block before doing anything else.

My assumption is that the technology failed or is glitchy because I am yet to experience any one piece of technology that works consistently and without any bugs.

My own car disengages cruise control of its own volition.  Im setting that with buttons on my steering wheel at least, and its a 2008 Ford.

Remember the one where the throttle or cruise got stuck on 100 in the territory?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #18
There was the urban legend of the guy in the US who bought a new Winnebago. While on his first trip he set the cruise control and then left the driver seat to put the kettle on.......and the rest is, well, urban legend.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #19
Took me back to this ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimshaw_v._Ford_Motor_Co.

That was what the movie Class Action was based on, good old movie that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #20
There was the urban legend of the guy in the US who bought a new Winnebago. While on his first trip he set the cruise control and then left the driver seat to put the kettle on.......and the rest is, well, urban legend.
As I said, they were Americans.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #21
As funny as that is, its hard to believe.

Even the most adventurous of technology adopters would ask the thing to move them from driveway to Street and round the block before doing anything else.

My assumption is that the technology failed or is glitchy because I am yet to experience any one piece of technology that works consistently and without any bugs.

My own car disengages cruise control of its own volition.  Im setting that with buttons on my steering wheel at least, and its a 2008 Ford.

Remember the one where the throttle or cruise got stuck on 100 in the territory?
Lets just see how hard to believe that is when the formal investigation is complete.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #22
Auto pilot or lane assist gone wrong?
Telsa! would never consider buying one, they're not as friendly to the enviro as they claim, at the end of the day they are coal suckers.
Prefer my Maserati any day of the week.
Carrots, slower than escargot in garlic sauce !!

Reply #23
Lets just see how hard to believe that is when the formal investigation is complete.

Im more than happy to blame incompetence but I just don't understand how you get the car moving if you ain't in the drivers seat.  Unless there's an app for driving the car remotely and even then if be very reluctant to do it.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #24
I've been in a Full Auto Drive Tesla 100D with my mate, in Auto drive or whatever they call it, that instead of slowing as it entered a road work zone accelerated to 70mph. My mate said he better report that as a software bug!

If anyone thinks that they can have a snooze in the drivers seat of a Tesla they are goners, let's hope they don't take out a bunch of innocent bystanders!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
There are a few rumours going around about this latest incident.

Let's say it seems a shinny new self-driving Tesla might be the "well to do" version of a back road toilet block!

Is this a new service from Uber?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
I've been in a Full Auto Drive Tesla 100D with my mate, in Auot drive or whatever they call it, that instead of slowing as it entered a road work zone accelerated to 70mph. My mate said he better report that as a software bug!

If anyone thinks that they can have a snooze in the drivers seat of a Tesla they are goners, let's hope they don't take out a bunch of innocent bystanders!
Sounds like a good weapon for ISIS...trick the auto pilot there is an occupant then load up the car with nasties and direct it
somewhere where they want to inflict destruction.

Reply #27
Bystanders. They’re one of the problems of programming the AI for auto-drive. Let’s say you’re driving a normal car and you’re driving at 70 kms approaching an intersection with a green light. A truck skids into the intersection and you’re too close to stop and you have a rather large risk of serious injury if you crash into the truck. But you can pretty much be certain of avoiding injury if you veer left. The only problem with that is there’s a bunch of primary school children there and killing or maiming many of them is a certainty. What are the car’s priorities? If you program it to avoid or minimise injury to passengers, the kids are dead meat. Should the car prioritise the safety of pedestrians? What about bike and motorbike riders? Should the number of 3rd parties affected be considered? What about a maniac who deliberately runs in front of a car in the hope it will swerve off the road over a cliff?

Not hard to see how the AI could go haywire.

Reply #28
Bystanders. They’re one of the problems of programming the AI for auto-drive. Let’s say you’re driving a normal car and you’re driving at 70 kms approaching an intersection with a green light. A truck skids into the intersection and you’re too close to stop and you have a rather large risk of serious injury if you crash into the truck. But you can pretty much be certain of avoiding injury if you veer left. The only problem with that is there’s a bunch of primary school children there and killing or maiming many of them is a certainty. What are the car’s priorities? If you program it to avoid or minimise injury to passengers, the kids are dead meat. Should the car prioritise the safety of pedestrians? What about bike and motorbike riders? Should the number of 3rd parties affected be considered? What about a maniac who deliberately runs in front of a car in the hope it will swerve off the road over a cliff?

Not hard to see how the AI could go haywire.
Classic tram car problem;

That relates to a stir Mercedes caused a few years back, asked this very question at a Autoshow Mercedes stated their priority was protecting their Mercedes driver!

It's the message the pretentious AMG drivers wanted to hear, they don't give a feck who they run over as long as they are OK, babies, Mother Teresa, Jesus on a return visit, the first ever alien arrival, stiff sh1t I'm OK Jack! ;) I bet they are anti-vaxxers as well! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
Classic tram car problem;

That relates to a stir Mercedes caused a few years back, asked this very question at a Autoshow Mercedes stated their priority was protecting their Mercedes driver!

It's the message the pretentious AMG drivers wanted to hear, they don't give a feck who they run over as long as they are OK, babies, Mother Teresa, Jesus on a return visit, the first ever alien arrival, stiff sh1t I'm OK Jack! ;) I bet they are anti-vaxxers as well! :o
Please note No 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsFvU5hMbQY
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th