Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game passion: AFL 2021 Rd 6: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 10658 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game passion: AFL 2021 Rd 6: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #180
A lot of people gave Jones votes but his opponent Hipwood had a good game with 3 goals and to me that doesnt constitute Jones having a great game. I mark players both ways and especially with players like Cuningham its not just what they do its what their opponents did as well. If you look for players who won their positions then often the reading isnt as good as the stats they had and we didnt have many winners IMO.

Reply #181
A lot of people gave Jones votes but his opponent Hipwood had a good game with 3 goals and to me that doesnt constitute Jones having a great game. I mark players both ways and especially with players like Cuningham its not just what they do its what their opponents did as well. If you look for players who won their positions then often the reading isnt as good as the stats they had and we didnt have many winners IMO.
Jones was terrific I thought and without him, Hipwood would have kicked planty more. He destabilised him if nothing else.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #182
Jones was terrific I thought and without him, Hipwood would have kicked planty more. He destabilised him if nothing else.
I guess I see it different, No 1 job for a defender is to stop your man and 3 goals is a win for the forward IMHO.
Hipwood might have kicked more playing on someone else but three goals is a victory given if all the forwards kick three then thats 18 goals and you dont lose too many games with that score.

Reply #183
I guess I see it different, No 1 job for a defender is to stop your man and 3 goals is a win for the forward IMHO.
Hipwood might have kicked more playing on someone else but three goals is a victory given if all the forwards kick three then thats 18 goals and you dont lose too many games with that score.
Fair enough, H kicked 4 on Darcy Moore and all the experts gave Moore the chocolates. Ill also add that as far as our defence/defenders go? Weiters and Jones have no issues, I can't speak as highly though for Plow, Doc, SPS (when he plays there), Willo et al.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #184
Jones was terrific I thought and without him, Hipwood would have kicked plenty more. He destabilised him if nothing else.

Agree. Considering he's a fair player, which puts him at a disadvantage before the ball is bounced, I think he goes well more often than not. If he could eliminate (or significantly reduce) the howlers he would be AA IMO.

Reply #185
Agree. Considering he's a fair player, which puts him at a disadvantage before the ball is bounced, I think he goes well more often than not. If he could eliminate (or significantly reduce) the howlers he would be AA IMO.
He literally tried to hard sometimes, I find it hard to knock when you see someone give so much. That is, play the game like it means something. Ditto JW. The rest not so much and easy to knock.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #186
Fair enough, H kicked 4 on Darcy Moore and all the experts gave Moore the chocolates.
Agree...mine is a practical more clinical viewpoint and what effects the result of the game, purists might see Moore and Jones games more as who won more individual contests and in that case award the points to Jones and Moore and I get that. IMO Harry did very well on the AA defender and I would class that as a win.
IMHO the forward has the harder gig, if he kicks 3 goals each week then thats 60 for the season and most of us would say thats a very successful years work.